RAF Scampton to close

Stories and general aviation chat

RAF Scampton to close

Postby 34053 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 am

Heard the news this week that Scampton is to be sold 'for housing'. Currently the Base for the Red Arrows and (of course) of great historical significance, being the home of 617 Squadron ('The Dam Busters') during WW2. Scampton will close in 2022.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-44936234

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: RAF Scampton to close

Postby Spitfire » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:38 pm

An interesting justification ...
The government said RAF Scampton will close in 2022 with the Red Arrows relocating to a site "more fit for purpose".

What on earth does THAT mean??

When really this says it all ...
The MoD, which wants to save £3bn by 2040

Sign of the times ... money, savings ... but also profit before people, jobs, convenience, practicality ~x(

It all started IMHO whern Personnel departments became 'Americanised' as Human Resources ...
I refused to call it that in my organisation - I was NOT a resource like a pencil or a chair :ymdevil:
But that's the way the world is now I'm afraid ... people are dispensible resources at the altar of money :( :-o

Its a wonder they are not entering that meaningless sop they now use .. the 'Consultation period' ...
The 'We've made up our minds - and that's what we're doing - but we'll make you think you might have a say'

I have yet to see ANY consultation period change to the will of the people consulted ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby 34053 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:25 pm

There has been 'talk' of retaining some of the buildings/site as a Museum. (Will this, I wonder, include the grave of Wing Commander Guy Gibson's black, Labrador dog?):

http://aircrewremembered.com/gibson-guy-dog.html

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Postby Spitfire » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:41 pm

34053 wrote: Wing Commander Guy Gibson's black, Labrador dog?

Oh .. you mean ... N I G G E R :)) ;)

No offense intended to dogs - other colours are available ...
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:45 am

The hangars are Grade II listed and at least 3 of the 4 are in a bad state of repair. They were leaking 15 yrs ago. Not sure who would want them or what they would do with under those circumstances. Estimates I believe were around £750k per hangar to put them right (probably more by now), again I believe they were gutted and electrics were ripped out years ago.

There has been a museum there for years too, Guy Gibson's office as it was etc, plus exhibits and a Lancaster cockpit, but rumours had it they were moved out for the air show.

Nigger's grave is outside 2 hangar but when I worked at Scampton it was always said he was buried behind the guardroom. The International Bomber Command Centre have said they will willing move it to their site on Canwick Hill.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby 10680 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Not having been in the forces myself, I always thought they were based a lot on tradition/heritage etc. battle honours.

For the 'powers that be' to announce the closure of Scampton in the 75th anniversary year of the Dambusters' Raid, centenary of the RAF and as I discovered centenary of the airfield being named Scampton is crass to say the least.

Surely it is the most famous airfield in the country/world.

Although at the Scampton airshow I thought it looked neglected.
I'd rather be skiing
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Return to Aviation Chat