BBC - 100 years of the RAF

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

BBC - 100 years of the RAF

Postby Spitfire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:35 am

A wonderful programme by the McGregor brothers - enjoyed it immensely ...

BUT ... when it came to the cold war they needed to see, and explore, a Vulcan ... and oh the IGNOMINY of it all ....they had to use that wonderfully preserved machine - by a dedicated team of volunteers - XM655 ;)
A living breathing example in VERY fine fettle and more power to them - a joy to see it proudly sitting on open runway - ready to view ....

And all because they couldn't go and see the one they should really have seen in its heyday - that now unmoving cold carcass residing on a sewage farm :(

Its a travesty. ~x(
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Re: BBC - 100 years of the RAF

Postby 10680 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:39 am

I've recorded it but saw a few small bits. I enjoyed their previous programme.

However if you wanted to view an authentic cockpit it wouldn't be 558....
I'd rather be skiing
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby 34053 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Yes, I have recorded the Programme to watch later. Looking forward to seeing it, particularly regarding the 'Battle of Britain' element which is of particular interest to me - both the actual event, together with the 'Battle of Britain Class' Locomotives that were named after the significant People, Squadrons and Airfields, etc. involved. [Keith Park was a pilot in the RFC (later, the RAF in 1918) during WW1 and directly involved with 11 Group, Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain, in WW2].

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Postby Sooty655 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Spitfire wrote:A wonderful programme by the McGregor brothers - enjoyed it immensely ...

BUT ... when it came to the cold war they needed to see, and explore, a Vulcan ... and oh the IGNOMINY of it all ....they had to use that wonderfully preserved machine - by a dedicated team of volunteers - XM655 ;)
A living breathing example in VERY fine fettle and more power to them - a joy to see it proudly sitting on open runway - ready to view ....

And all because they couldn't go and see the one they should really have seen in its heyday - that now unmoving cold carcass residing on a sewage farm :(

Its a travesty. ~x(

We were able to accommodate them at very short notice (had to cancel a pre-booked visit) when the Donny brigade let them down. Nice to see we got a mention in the credits. :) :)
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Spitfire » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Sooty655 wrote:when the Donny brigade let them down

NOOOO - I can't believe that :)) :D ;)

Good for you - really shows what a well organised bunch of volunteers CAN achieve - and not an exorbitant salary in sight ~x( :p

10680 wrote: view an authentic cockpit

Especially not under a tarpaulin :))
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Anything Vulcan