Rutan Voyager

Local airfield historys etc

Rutan Voyager

Postby Mike35 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:09 pm

About a month ago, it was the 27th anniversary since two American pilots began the first ever non-stop flight around the world. They finished on 23rd December 1986, taking just over 9 days to complete their journey:
http://www.aircharterservice.com/blog/t ... rld-flight

Unfortunately this occurred before my time, however I can imagine the publicity this received, as back then a feat like this would have been groundbreaking.

Do you remember your reaction when first hearing about this? I'd really like to know what people thought when it actually happened.
Mike35
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Re: Rutan Voyager

Postby Mayfly » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Well I remember it happening and I remember watching it on the news but I don't remember my thoughts about it per say. I do however remember thinking how lightweight the a/c was tho'. Sorry.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Dougs » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm

TBH it was not exactly massive reaction. As i remember it got some news but nothing like you would expect an awful lot happeded in the 80's it seemed like there was a massive disaster or issue just about every year miners strike, falklands war, piper alpha oil rig, lockabie etc, then the good stuff too like thrust 2,virgin atlantic challenger 2, the space shuttle, virgin atlantic baloon x ing ETC so if you think, in the company of that lot its not going to rate all that high :)
edit; forgot to mention
live aid (the proper one)
berlin wall
chenobil meltdown (miss spelt but you know what i mean)
mount st hellen's volcano
exxon valdies oil spill
and many more
B-)
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Postby Aceyone » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Can't believe it was that long ago,I do remember it though,as has been said it didn't seem to rate that high at the time,maybe had it been a British achievement it may have made a bigger impact !
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Return to Aviation History