Airline Pilot Fatigue

All commercial aircraft talk, photos, videos etc

Airline Pilot Fatigue

Postby Jet Morgan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Just read this story on the BBC site. What are anyone's views on whether this is an accurate or distorted report? Don't know enough about the airline industry myself to discern the motive of the journalist...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22051197

Was especially surprised by this statement:

"A pilot falls asleep on the flight deck on a UK-registered airplane at least once in every 24 hours - and probably a lot more than that..."

JM :-o
Jet Morgan
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Spaceship Dispatcher

Re: Airline Pilot Fatigue

Postby Hazzer111 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:51 pm

Jet Morgan wrote:Just read this story on the BBC site. What are anyone's views on whether this is an accurate or distorted report? Don't know enough about the airline industry myself to discern the motive of the journalist...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22051197

Was especially surprised by this statement:

"A pilot falls asleep on the flight deck on a UK-registered airplane at least once in every 24 hours - and probably a lot more than that..."

I doubt that! Although it may happen often i don't think it would be every 24 hours!
Hazzer111
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Ramshornvortex » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:17 pm

What's an 'airplane' (sic)?
Ramshornvortex
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Xplumberlives » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:55 am

Jet Morgan wrote:Was especially surprised by this statement:

A pilot is NOT allowed to fly for that length of time, there are rules you know! :p
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Jet Morgan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Not sure if that was how the original 'expert' meant it to sound or if it was more wonderful BBC grammar...

(BBC grammar is of course a notorious oxymoron) =))
Jet Morgan

Postby Xplumberlives » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Jet Morgan wrote:Not sure if that was how the original 'expert' meant it to sound or if it was more wonderful BBC grammar...

(BBC grammar is of course a notorious oxymoron) =))

You should know, you work with several!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =))
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Jet Morgan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Jigsaw wrote:Another thread that detracts from the original (and interesting) question.
Given the amount of knowledge on this forum I am once again surprised (or am I) at the lack of input into threads like this. It is getting to the point that everything posted has a funny comment but very rarely a valid or informative response.

So, apart from further detracting from the original question with a rant against the other posts, what's your opinion? Is it really scary or just scare mongering do you think? The BBC is often not to be trusted I know...

JM
Jet Morgan

Postby RLN » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Due to the schedule that some short haul pilots keep, I would think that it happens a lot more often than anyone would admit to. It's only like driving, but they can't pull into a layby and have a quick kip. So long as the pilots take it in turns, I don't see a problem with them power napping.
RLN

Postby Jigsaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Jet Morgan wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:Another thread that detracts from the original (and interesting) question.
Given the amount of knowledge on this forum I am once again surprised (or am I) at the lack of input into threads like this. It is getting to the point that everything posted has a funny comment but very rarely a valid or informative response.

So, apart from further detracting from the original question with a rant against the other posts, what's your opinion? Is it really scary or just scare mongering do you think? The BBC is often not to be trusted I know...

JM

My opinion? Scare mongering as I think more than likely is yours as well. If somebody has a nap but the other guy is in control fine.
As far as the rant and further detracting. Reading from the start of the thread to the post before mine annoyed me as there was not one serious comment.
Obviously you don't have a problem with that and that is fine as it was a thread you started.
My opinion is nothing personal and not aimed at your thread or those who responded to it.
I do feel that there will come a time (quite soon) that regular users of this forum will give up and not bother because they see no point. Just my opinion.
I apologise for using your post to vent on but unfortunately it seemed to fit with how I see things going at the moment.
Kev
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Also Known As: photo_lincs

Postby Jet Morgan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:01 pm

RLN wrote:Due to the schedule that some short haul pilots keep, I would think that it happens a lot more often than anyone would admit to. It's only like driving, but they can't pull into a layby and have a quick kip. So long as the pilots take it in turns, I don't see a problem with them power napping.

Jigsaw wrote:My opinion? Scare mongering as I think more than likely is yours as well. If somebody has a nap but the other guy is in control fine.

@ RLN and Jigsaw

Yes, that's my opinion too. It doesn't matter imo as long as a qualified person is in control and in a position to react to an emergency should one arise.

Jigsaw wrote:I apologise for using your post to vent on but unfortunately it seemed to fit with how I see things going at the moment.

No problem. :)
Jet Morgan

Postby RLN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:06 pm

The rest of the comments have been moved to

http://www.iconicaircraft.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7830

Play nicely!
RLN

Postby Mayfly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:42 pm

In the main commercial pilots only control T/O and Landing the 'bit in the middle' is done by George. lol

Hmmm... twice in 12 months - What % is that then of the 1000's of flights that place every day?

I don't see it as a safety issue as long as there is an awake type rated pilot in control. However it's not something that should be encouraged either and if it is happening then there should be a look see as to the cause.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Gaz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:02 pm

A good friend of mine who is ex RAF (No, not that one!) told me that he was in the back seat of a hawk being flown out to Saudi. The pilot, who was incredibly hungover, got the aircraft up, pointed it in the right direction and told my friend "You have control, wake me if anything happens". He is, most definitely, not trained to fly an aircraft.

Doesn't just happen in civvy street
NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Dan4th » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:40 pm

I agree with Gaz, here.......

After all, there are Very Strict Regulations in
place concerning flying hours and so forth. If a
pilot has any kind of issues outside of his/her
job that affect his/her ability to fly safely, then
it is HIS/HER responsibility to make certain that
those issues do not get in the way of passenger
safety!

So much responsibility!

And in the hands of a HUMAN BEING!!!!!!!!!

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Return to Commercial Aircraft