Final thought prior to possibly final flight

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Re: Final thought prior to possibly final flight

Postby Mayfly » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:41 am

I think it's much more to do with the possibility of the police closing the airport after taking a hammering recently over the Hillsborough review should there have been a crowd problem and new recent ruling over paying passengers more compensation over delayed flights should they have closed the airport.

No-one can say they didn't understand the popularity of 558 and the whole final flight thing does seem to have been planned on the back of a fag packet.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Sooty655 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:43 am

Sploosher wrote:a good friend of mine, and some of her friends, have stopped all standing orders for 558 seeing as though it is no longer VTTS, but VTTH....................

she has also taken all the stickers off her car too...............

It is still VTTS, Mayfly, but it now means Vulcan to the Shed. :p :p
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Spitfire » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:32 am

Mayfly wrote:No-one can say they didn't understand the popularity of 558 and the whole final flight thing does seem to have been planned on the back of a fag packet.

Totally agreed - I was spluttering tea all over the screen when watching The Angel Gabriel on the form of Mr Moffatt waxing lyrical over the whole scene with his huge headset on and the camera man panning ENDLESSLY over a cotery of yellow jacketed faithful who were all able to get there with just 30 minutes notice (not) ...

Who were they all ?? Men & Women - Children in pushchairs - lots of beaming smiles, handshaking and emotion. :(
I DIDN'T want to see them all over and over again - it just rubbed it all in how badly this had been done for the real supporters. ~x(

At one stage we were looking for ages at 2 forlorn looking Cessnas - with XH558 somewhere 'in the background' - the camera angles were awful - and I for one didn't hear a single howl - although the first wing over was amazing and the low level first take off was good - but for 15 minutes at the end of the life of everything they could have REALLY pushed it. I do, however, give my total congratulations to the pilots for both the absolute creamer landings - the touch and go and the final were floaty smooth and stunning to see :ymapplause:

I totally agree that the ground has now been set to limit or cancel any future runs blaming everyone except themselves - 'You know how it was at the final flight' etc It will stay in its shed now and money will be charged for the 'Hangar experience' .... ~x(
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Sploosher » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Sooty655 wrote:
Sploosher wrote:a good friend of mine, and some of her friends, have stopped all standing orders for 558 seeing as though it is no longer VTTS, but VTTH....................

just had a quick check, and I can confirm that I have not had a sex change or name change Sooty............ =))
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Mayfly » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:44 pm

And I can confirm neither have I!!! :-o
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Sooty655 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:14 pm

Sploosher wrote:
Sooty655 wrote:

just had a quick check, and I can confirm that I have not had a sex change or name change Sooty............ =))

Mayfly wrote:And I can confirm neither have I!!! :-o

Oops. I blame it on age (yours). :p :p :))
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Previous

Return to Anything Vulcan