It's her last season...!

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

It's her last season...!

Postby Ray C » Fri May 15, 2015 5:13 pm

Well we knew it was coming, So as far as I'm concerned I intend to see her in the air as much as possible
during this summer. What happens to her after 2015 will be interesting . :(
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Re: It's her last season...!

Postby Mayfly » Fri May 15, 2015 7:30 pm

I refuse to let myself get upset, I did my crying when DT gave up flying her.

She will be missed on the air show circuit witout a doubt but at the end of the day it's a lump of metal
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Aceyone » Fri May 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Well the airshow scene will be less enjoyable next year,I personally think they done a great job of getting it in the air and keeping it flying for 8 years ,like you Pam I intend to see it as many times as possible,particularly from Beachy Head :)
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Crew chief » Sat May 16, 2015 8:11 pm

All good things come to an end the highlight for me was 2009 when 558 paid 655 a visit at Wings and Wheels that year. I think all us see off crew had a bit of grit in our eye that day. Looking forward once 558 is grounded I'll be amazed if it gets the funding required to what they want to do at Doncaster. Should Wellesbourne Airfield close for development 655 will no doubt fall silent which would only leave XL426 as a live example of the type.

CC.
I only do it with a long lead.
Crew chief
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Spitfire » Sat May 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Mayfly wrote:I refuse to let myself get upset, I did my crying when DT gave up flying her.

She will be missed on the air show circuit witout a doubt but at the end of the day it's a lump of metal

You missed a bit ...

it's a VERY EXPENSIVE lump of metal ....

I think that with the obscene amount of money that's been spent over the years and the woefully small amount of displays its been a bit of a waste of time ...

Don't get me wrong - approaching return to flight I was totally hooked and ploughed in far too much money myself ... but since its become a one plane airline without the promised major sponsors I lost interest especially when I was being continually tapped up for more and more money as a 'supporter' ....

That leading edge upgrade was really the epitome of waste ...if you totted up how much its all cost since return to flight I am sure it would make your eyes water...

I sincerely hope they give it ALL they've got in this last season ... as many howls - power climbs - wing overs and sheer raw power as they can fit into a season .. I don't want to see bomb doors opening and closing anymore ;) :p

Why not give her back to DT for this season and lets see more of THIS ... :D :D

TURN THE VOLUME UP TO FULL

Climbs down into dugout with hard hat on to await the inevitable - don't forget its just MY view
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Sun May 17, 2015 7:43 am

A huge amount of money, agreed.
Worth it? Well as thousands help keep her in the air then I my opinion yes, [it's not as tho' any of us can say that, that money would have gone elsewhere] but then again I do/did get over flights of the house when she heads towards the south/east coast or does a round robin of cold war bases and I've always said I would always prefer to see her over my house than at any display.

At the end of the day we knew it was coming this bit is the significant part of the press release...

>snip< The answer is that having evaluated a great many factors, the three expert companies on whom we depend – known as the ‘technical authorities’ - have together decided to cease their support at the end of this flying season. <snip>

Safety first and foremost regardless of how much she will be missed.

I still say it's the most awesome aircraft to ever have flown, the size, shape and noise of Vulcans the like of will never be matched again - my opinion of course ;)
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Dee » Sun May 17, 2015 9:57 am

Sad day but we knew it was coming.. Worth all the money?? For me personally??BLOODY HELL YES¬!!!!!!
Dee
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Spitfire » Sun May 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Mayfly wrote: [it's not as tho' any of us can say that, that money would have gone elsewhere]

Yes - mine would have gone on my hobby of building models - and many times I gave up on something I needed for my models to send money to the XH558 'back to flight' campaign....

But all that stopped when she was back in the air and any model money I can spare has long since been diverted to NX611 http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/ and WR963 http://www.avroshackleton.co.uk/ - 2 piston pounding worthy 'back to flight' campaigns... ;)

Just think if everyone who's been ploughing copious regular amounts of money into the tin triangle now get behind those 2 causes we could have 2 more old girls back in the air in no time :D :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ray C » Tue May 19, 2015 8:27 pm

I seem to remember Shakletons make BIG noise to.... ;) On another subject I'm now integrated into the Avro Heritage Museum volunteers with my Tuesday's spent inside 602s cabin. Today we did an exterior inspection of 603s underside concluding panels will need replacing prior to her re paint which will be white & the Radome black.

Over the weeks I've been emersed in Vulcans I just have huge admiration for the people who keep them in running order be it in the air or on the ground... :ymapplause:
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Return to Anything Vulcan