1958 Syerston VX770 Avro Vulcan crash

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

1958 Syerston VX770 Avro Vulcan crash

Postby Jason_osmer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Regarding: 1958 Syerston VX770 Avro Vulcan crash
Hello
I’m currently studying engineering with the Open University with the aim of joining the RAF as an engineering officer. For my final dissertation/project I am doing an investigation into the structural failure of VX770 Avro Vulcan at RAF Syerston.
I contacted the national archive to try and get a copy of the official incident report and received the following reply;
“Unfortunately, we are unable to provide at present because the documents you requested are in use........ You may wish to submit a new request in the future; we would recommend waiting at least 1 month for the document to be returned.”
Having read some of the comments on this forum it seems that getting a copy of the report may not be as simple as that.
Has anyone made any progress with their investigations?
I have just joined the forum and I’m unfamiliar with its workings could someone please tell me how to private message/ get in contact with: Sooty655
Thanks
Jason_osmer
Jason_osmer
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Re: 1958 Syerston VX770 Avro Vulcan crash

Postby Sploosher » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:28 pm

welcome to the site Jason, hope you enjoy it................. :D

this site is definitely one of the finest out there on the web.......... \:D/

as for contacting Sooty 655, click on this link.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2135

it will take you to a new thread, and at the top is a post by sooty, underneath his avatar ont he right side, you will find an envelope that has PM on it, click on that and you can contact him, but I think you may have to wait until you have a few entries under your belt first before you can use pm`s.

If so, I am sure he will pm you , being the nice guy that he is........... ;)
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Jason_osmer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks, I was able to contact sooty :)
Jason_osmer
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Lancman300 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:14 pm

Like many other people, I was at the air show that day.

My recollection of the event is that, as the Vulcan passed over the airfield, we the spectators thought that leaflets were being dropped, these of course, turned out to be actual aircraft panels.
The Vulcan was much too low for there to be any chance of the crew ejecting.
A contributing factor to the rather slow speed of the station fire service being able to respond, was that no provision had been made to keep the area around the fire station free from spectators, not that it would have made any difference to the outcome .

Regards
Lancman300
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Return to Anything Vulcan