XH558 at Yeovilton Air Day

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

XH558 at Yeovilton Air Day

Postby MOD » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:09 pm

The new display seemed to leave a lot of people underwhelmed. No chance a topside shot !!! Just a series of slow flypasts showing her underside and still far too far away. :(

Having had my moan I will say she looked gorgeous close up - she shone in the sun. Well done to all those polishers. :ymapplause:

I think that the display should really incorporate a slow curving topside pass and a 'dirty' pass down the crowd line. Most of the other jets managed it albeit at far too fast a speed for me and my camera. :(

Still there is no question who was the 'Star of the Show'. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

ibw
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Re: XH558 at Yeovilton Air Day

Postby Jigsaw » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Great shots mate.
She certainly brings an awful lot to the show circuit indeed.
I have to agree with you regarding this years content but was still great to see her ;)
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Dee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:23 am

Stunning pics thankyou!
Dee
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Lucas1860 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Yep....does trick. Nice shots. the crowd puller. I noted ta Waddington that after the Vulcan and the arrows, the crowds started to leave.
We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucas1860/?saved=1
Lucas1860

Also Known As: @Aviation1860

Postby Ray C » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:23 pm

Very good shots...as for her air display...lets remember she's still flying....! ;)
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Gully » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Like any routine, it needs practice and developing - Martin W said as much during his commentary on the Sunday display at Waddington. His view was that they were too far away from the crowdline: hopefully as the pilots grow more confident and proficient with this sequence through 2013 we'll see them closer in. Not sure what happened to the dirty pass - there was one at Waddo IIRC.

Regarding the top side opening pass, that was missing when the 'old' routine was flown at Cosford at the start of the season. Just a flat entrance, which was disappointing.

Must admit to not falling into the camp of just being pleased to see XH558 in the air. She has the power, presence and ability to awe and inspire, which is the Trust's raison d'etre. People are accustomed to seeing her back on the display circuit, so they need to work harder for the same effect IMO.

Gully
Aircraft - The Greatest Gigs in the Sky!
Gully

Postby MOD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Gully this has been my sentiment for some time. I don't know if it is a coincidence but around the time DT stepped down the displays began to lack a certain degree of excitement. Kev Rumens livens things up but I am guessing that the Engineering Manager is having some serious input on the cautious side.

At the moment I wouldn't drive half the length of the country, and stay two nights in a B+B, again to see that particular Yeovilton display. Why can't they just ask DT for his display routine notes and go back to circa 1990 when 558 kept close to the crowd and made a lot of noise... :p ;)

ibw
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Crew chief » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:47 pm

I would say that FI and engine life may have something to do with the display's being a bit tame due to them wishing to fly to 2015, although Kev's display at Waddington this year was one of the best I've seen post DT.

cc.
I only do it with a long lead.
Crew chief
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby MOD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Obviously true cc but if one pilot can do it why not the others? A slow curving topside flypast wouldn't strain either engines or airframe. I know RR and EngMan are being sensibly cautious with the display routine but when 558 does make a noise it is too far away to have the required effect. I have pledged again to see it continue to the end of 2015 but that is only because my grandson will be old enough next year to accompany me to an airshow and as he has 2 inflatable and one diecast Vulcan* I know what he wants to see fly the most. ;)

Still it is now flying for far longer than I thought it would. :ymapplause:

*XM655 is his first love though. B-) It is a good job he had a nappy on the first time he saw it parked at Wellesbourne.

ibw
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Mayfly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:20 pm

I agree with both Gully and ibw - and the public are very finicky and it wouldn't take much for a large majority to lose interest and we all know her ardent supporters aren't enough to keep her airborne.

CC do you think so? - I thought it was still too far from the crowd tho' there was more oomph than the Saturday.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Crew chief » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

I can only go from what I've seen on video as I did not go to Waddington myself, if you say it was to far away Pam then it was you were there. ;) It may be that Kev fly's more hours on other aircraft than the other pilot's so he is more with it if you know what mean.

cc.
I only do it with a long lead.
Crew chief

Postby Gully » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:41 am

Seen the new display sequence in the flesh twice now - Sat and Sun at RIAT.

Bill Ramsey flew Saturday's display and it was underwhelming. Aircraft was far too far away - somebody in the crowd did ask if she was displaying over Brize...

Kev Rumens flew Sunday's routine and it was better - a bit closer in and much more fluid / dynamic. However, still a lack of topside views that were close enough to photograph. The RIAT punters seemed happier on Sunday.

For me, the entrance on the B-axis is the problem. It forces an early climb some distance out (presumably due to regulations on flying towards the crowd), then results in the first half of the display being based around the aircraft circling the B axis line instead of flying up and down the crowdline. As a consequence, unless you're watching from crowd centre, the aircraft is further away than with the old routine. Shame really - IMO they need to combine the two recent routines - the second half of Sunday's display was particularly good!

Gully
Aircraft - The Greatest Gigs in the Sky!
Gully

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:46 pm

Gully wrote:

For me, the entrance on the B-axis is the problem. It forces an early climb some distance out (presumably due to regulations on flying towards the crowd), then results in the first half of the display being based around the aircraft circling the B axis line instead of flying up and down the crowdline. As a consequence, unless you're watching from crowd centre, the aircraft is further away than with the old routine. Shame really - IMO they need to combine the two recent routines - the second half of Sunday's display was particularly good!

Gully

Having seen Sundays display at Waddo I thought the first climb towards the crowd was excellent, yes ok the climb was a little far away, but remember looking out from 558 at that height and distance you can not see the crowd or the display line. I found that the manover gave a very good idea of how much spare power she has, her abillity to climb and also you get to see a wingover from another angle.

During his comentary at waddington, Martin Withers did say (as mensioned above) that there planning on bringing the manover closer, which will improve the display further but you MUST remember that they have limited hours and money to fly the aircraft so the practice the pilots get is the bare minimum.

Given the choice of seeing 558 flying not quite to her full potential or sitting in the hanger/corner of an airfield gathering dust, I know what i'd chose every time.
Vulcan Bomber

Return to Anything Vulcan