XM573 - Strategic Air & Space Museum, Nebraska.

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Re: XM573 - Strategic Air & Space Museum, Nebraska.

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:09 am

Ramshornvortex wrote:there's a few clangers on that Museum page, by the way.....

Guys, I have made amendments to the SACM page about XM573.

This is what is written:

Aircraft Type: Avro Hawker Siddeley Mk II “Vulcan”, S/N XM573

Mission: Medium strategic bomber

Number built: 122 (all models), 75 (Mk.II version)

Powerplant: Four Bristol Siddely Olympus turbojets, 20,000 lbs. thrust each

Weight: Empty 160,000 pounds, Maximum takeoff weight 200,000 pounds

Dimensions: Wingspan 111′, Length 105’5″, Height 27’2″

Performance: Maximum speed 645 MPH, Cruising speed 627 MPH, Service ceiling 55,000 feet.

Significance of Type: The Vulcan was Britains’s largest operational combat aircraft and was designed for strike and strategic reconnaissance roles. It became a familiar site at SAC bases by participating in weapons tests and SAC bombing competitions. The Vulcan also carried out alert exercises and training operations with SAC as part of NATO and Western Hemisphere defense.

About our Mk. II Vulcan: This Vulcan (S/N XM573) was the 101st aircraft produced, it was delivered to the Royal Air Force Strike Command in March, 1963. It was presented to the Strategic Air & Space Musuem as a token of cooperation between the Royal Air Force and the Strategic Air Command, and made it’s last flight into Offutt AFB, Nebraska in June, 1982. This Vulcan is one of three Vulcans on display in the United States.

This is what I'd like to write:

Aircraft Type: Avro Vulcan B Mk 2, S/N XM573

Mission: Medium strategic bomber

Number built: 135 total (2 Prototypes, 45 B Mk 1 & 88 B Mk 2 variants)

Powerplant: Four Bristol Siddeley Olympus 202 turbojets each developing 17,000 lbf (76 kN) thrust

Weight: Empty 160,000 pound. Maximum takeoff weight 204,000lbs

Dimensions: Wingspan 111″. Length 105’6″. Height 27’1″.

Performance: Maximum speed 645 MPH. Cruising speed 627 MPH at 55,000ft. Service ceiling 55,000 feet.

Significance of Type: The Vulcan was designed as a strategic bomber in response to a British Air Ministry requirement (Specification B.35/46). Along with the Vickers Valiant and Handley Page Victor, the Vulcan served with the Royal Air Force's V-Force. During the Cold War, the V-Force and the U.S. Strategic Air Command coordinated the Single Integrated Operational Plan which ensured all major Soviet Union targets were covered. From 1962 onwards, two jets in every major RAF base were armed with nuclear weapons and on permanent readiness state under the principle of Quick Reaction Alert (QRA). Vulcan's on QRA had to be airborne within four minutes of receiving an alert, this was identified as the time between a warning of a nuclear strike being launched and it arriving in Great Britain. In a conventional role, the Vulcan was used in anger in 1982 during the Falklands War with Argentina. The Vulcan carried 21 1000lbs freefall bombs 3889 miles from the Ascension Islands to bomb Port Stanley airfield. The "Black Buck" raids as they were known were the longest bombing missions of the day. Operationally, the Vulcan finally retired from RAF service in 1984. Such was the public interest in the Vulcan at airshows across Great Britain; the RAF continued to fly a sole example. Vulcan XH558 continued to fly as part of the Vulcan Display Flight until she was sold in 1993 when budget cuts forced her retirement. A vision was realised on the 18th October 2007 when as part of a multi-million pound restoration XH558 took to the sky again. Operated by the Vulcan to the Sky Charitable Trust, XH558 continues and remains the last airworthy example.

About our Avro Vulcan B Mk 2: XM573 was the 99th aircraft to roll off the A. V. Roe production line at Woodford. She was delivered to 83 Sqn Scampton Wing on 28th March 1963. Having served the RAF for nearly 20 years, she was presented to the Strategic Air & Space Museum as a gesture of cooperation between the Royal Air Force and United States Air Force and she made her last flight into Offutt AFB, Nebraska in June 1982. This airframe is one of three Vulcan's on display in the United States.

I have had my Dad check through his books to grab me the correct leading particulars and various facts. Not sure on the weight empty. Anyhow, the write up is a combination of various Wiki pages and my own knowledge because I have no 'pukka gen' over here. Obviously, Wiki is renowned for being factually incorrect so, if I have missed something or it doesn't read right then please shout out.
FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION - HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Dan4th » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 am

All good, Mister EX, but the Significance
of Type might require a little editing to
not have Murkins nodding off in the act
of reading it :p

I think you just have to consider who it
is you're writing it for -- Murkins, not
Brits.....

Beware the Dreaded "TMI" :D

I think you can do it fine and leave my
countrymen (and women...) with a better
understanding and respect for the Vulcan
by simply being factual and direct!

Good work otherwise, though :ymapplause:

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:53 am

You're right mate, it is lengthy. Trying to get everything in though, I could write for England besides, can't under sell the "Spirit of Great Britain" Lol.

I'll take another look and I might just remove the XH558 stuff and perhaps thin out some other bits.

Thanks for your feedback though.

Cut down version.

Significance of Type: The Vulcan was designed as a strategic bomber in response to a British Air Ministry requirement. Along with the Vickers Valiant and Handley Page Victor, the Vulcan served with the Royal Air Force's V-Force. During the Cold War, the V-Force and the U.S. Strategic Air Command coordinated the Single Integrated Operational Plan which ensured all major Soviet Union targets were covered. In a conventional role, the Vulcan was used in anger in 1982 during the Falklands War with Argentina. The Vulcan carried 21 1000lbs freefall bombs 3889 miles from the Ascension Islands to bomb Port Stanley airfield. The "Black Buck" raids as they were known were the longest bombing missions of the day. Operationally, the Vulcan finally retired from RAF service in 1984.
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Dan4th » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 am

Not Bad!

A RUTHLESS Edit :p

Tell you what, I will do a complete job
on what you've done and send it to you
via PM some time this weekend...

Use it or not, but it IS what I do for a
Living, after all......

Now all you need is some cohorts to
spruce the old girl up a little bit :D

Danf.
Dan4th

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:18 am

Crack on mate. Least you can translate it into some form of American :D
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Ramshornvortex » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:17 am

Not sure on the weight empty

It's just over 100,000lbs - I'll confirm the weight tonight after I get back from our EGR (unless someone else has provided the figure by then, of course).....

Great improvement, by the way.....
Ramshornvortex
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:27 pm

And 573 has olympus 301 engines, so there rated to 20,000lb but derated to around 18,000lb during normal service to extend there life and bring a closer match the performance of the 202 series.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote:And 573 has olympus 301 engines, so there rated to 20,000lb but derated to around 18,000lb during normal service to extend there life and bring a closer match the performance of the 202 series.

It is confirmed via a visual check that the production engine fitted to XM573 was indeed the 202 series. The 202 series aircraft had the convergent 'cone type' exhaust pipes see http://www.flickr.com/photos/16176508@N07/8064818837/in/set-72157631716232794. 301's feature the shorter stubby pipes as seen on XM574 which, apart from earlier modified airframes (no series numbers to hand), 574 was the first production airframe to roll off the line at Woodford with the 301 series.

Ramshornvortex: I would imagine there would be differences albeit slight between the 202 & 301 engined frames obviously with the 301 having the extra LP compressor (zero)?

Need to ensure everything is factual and agreed before I approach the museum.

Many thanks.
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:58 pm

Exceptionalsleeper wrote:
Vulcan Bomber wrote:And 573 has olympus 301 engines, so there rated to 20,000lb but derated to around 18,000lb during normal service to extend there life and bring a closer match the performance of the 202 series.

It is confirmed via a visual check that the production engine fitted to XM573 was indeed the 202 series. The 202 series aircraft had the convergent 'cone type' exhaust pipes see http://www.flickr.com/photos/16176508@N07/8064818837/in/set-72157631716232794. 301's feature the shorter stubby pipes as seen on XM574 which, apart from earlier modified airframes (no series numbers to hand), 574 was the first production airframe to roll off the line at Woodford with the 301 series.

Ramshornvortex: I would imagine there would be differences albeit slight between the 202 & 301 engined frames obviously with the 301 having the extra LP compressor (zero)?

Need to ensure everything is factual and agreed before I approach the museum.

Many thanks.

I stand corrected.

Theres quite a few differences in the engine bays between the 200 and 300 series engines due, as you say to the zero stage on the 300 engines. AVRO did mod around 10 iirc 200 series engine vulcans to 300 series but the cost was prohibative of doing the rest of them.. And of course you lose that loverly noise.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Sooty655 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote:...[snip]...

Theres quite a few differences in the engine bays between the 200 and 300 series engines due, as you say to the zero stage on the 300 engines. AVRO did mod around 10 iirc 200 series engine vulcans to 300 series but the cost was prohibative of doing the rest of them.. And of course you lose that loverly noise.

The engine bays are actually the same size. Main differences are in the breather arrangement and the engine anti-icing ducting, which also requires modified engine doors. As you say, a few were modified, but it became pointless when Skybolt was scrapped and the extra thrust wasn't needed.
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Ducati Boy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Exceptionalsleeper wrote:Hi guys, just thought I'd all let you know I am pushing hard to get my grubby mitts on XM573 which is situated at Strategic Air & Space Museum, Nebraska.

I am assigned to the USAF working from Offutt AFB whilst I carry out my aircraft 'Q annotation' course on the RC135W Rivet Joint aircraft. Obviously, with my Vulcan experience on XH558 I hope to make a start on restoring her - it will be a large task but if I can get the wheels in motion at least. Fingers crossed they have a set of Air Publications to start with!

Wish me luck! Lol.

I shall keep you all updated on the progress.

APs are not a problem, TVOC has got all those you would need and as resident QA I have most of them on disc. All you need do is ask and I can e-mail what you need. :D
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:23 pm

:ymapplause: I just love the willingness of some to help others :ymapplause:
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Gaz » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Quite excited by all this!!

and it's been a long time since ANYTHING to do with a Vulcan excited me!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:15 am

Chaps, well that was my first day completed de-rivetting the port aileron and rudder skins on their C-54D – Skymaster which is in the restoration shop. The mentioned flying controls were skinned with aluminum when the canvas deteriorated. Now the aircraft is planned for a move back inside they returning the aircraft back to OEM specification.

I got a bit of a treat. We had to go inside the B-29, so, armed with my poxy mobile camera I took the following pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16176508@N07/sets/72157631977673926/

More importantly, I started asking questions about the Vulcan. Power-on is a no go apparently although there was a little hesitation when I posed the question. They mentioned that the re-fueling probe was removed prior to our 1982 disagreement with the Argies. I unwittingly suggested that I may be able to source one from either a scrapped Nimrod or have a chat with the guys at Brunty to see if they could spare a VC10 one. I would have to see if all probes a are the same size because there is the option of a C-130K, something tells me not.

Before I left I went to say hello to her. She has that old aircraft fragrance which is more noticeable in the nose U/C bay.

Getting access inside will be no problem and I am really excited about that.

Ducati Boy wrote:APs are not a problem, TVOC has got all those you would need and as resident QA I have most of them on disc. All you need do is ask and I can e-mail what you need. :D

Pat, thanks for your offer of AP's. The following picture shows all that they have: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16176508@N ... 976873621/.

They make for interesting reading, especially seeing that one of the last amendments was made 6 days before I was born. Lol.

Pat, how big are the files? One of the guys said he planned to scan the AP's they have. I am sure the Museum would appreciate anything you could give. :ymblushing:
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Avro683 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:46 am

Can't wait to see pics of her interior.. Hopefully you can get her nose strut reinflated or at least adjusted to enable a collar to be fitted so she resumes her graceful stance and not the one she presently has..
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Gaz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:40 am

B-29!! You lucky dog!! :D
NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Sploosher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:44 pm

lucky you for getting inside a B29....... :D

hope you dont mind, but I had a quick look at your flickr site and have made you a contact........ ;)
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Dan4th » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:49 pm

First model of an aircraft I made, at the
tender age of five, was a Revell B-29!

Lots of paternal supervision required,
and possibly twice the normal amount
of GLUE :p

Finished it, though, and hung it from
my bedroom ceiling :ymapplause:

(The decals were also a challenge....)

Danf.
Dan4th

Postby Ducati Boy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Exceptionalsleeper wrote:Chaps, well that was my first day completed de-rivetting the port aileron and rudder skins on their C-54D – Skymaster which is in the restoration shop. The mentioned flying controls were skinned with aluminum when the canvas deteriorated. Now the aircraft is planned for a move back inside they returning the aircraft back to OEM specification.

I got a bit of a treat. We had to go inside the B-29, so, armed with my poxy mobile camera I took the following pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16176508@N07/sets/72157631977673926/

More importantly, I started asking questions about the Vulcan. Power-on is a no go apparently although there was a little hesitation when I posed the question. They mentioned that the re-fueling probe was removed prior to our 1982 disagreement with the Argies. I unwittingly suggested that I may be able to source one from either a scrapped Nimrod or have a chat with the guys at Brunty to see if they could spare a VC10 one. I would have to see if all probes a are the same size because there is the option of a C-130K, something tells me not.

Before I left I went to say hello to her. She has that old aircraft fragrance which is more noticeable in the nose U/C bay.

Getting access inside will be no problem and I am really excited about that.

Ducati Boy wrote:APs are not a problem, TVOC has got all those you would need and as resident QA I have most of them on disc. All you need do is ask and I can e-mail what you need. :D

Pat, thanks for your offer of AP's. The following picture shows all that they have: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16176508@N ... 976873621/.

They make for interesting reading, especially seeing that one of the last amendments was made 6 days before I was born. Lol.

Pat, how big are the files? One of the guys said he planned to scan the AP's they have. I am sure the Museum would appreciate anything you could give. :ymblushing:

What I have on my daily use CD is about 1.5 GB. PM me your e-mail and I could send that and if you need more, I will see what can be done as and when. Always assuming I still have a job next year :D
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Gaz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Fast becoming my favourite Vulcan and reignited what, I thought was, a LONG dead enthusiasm for the type :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Gaz wrote:Fast becoming my favourite Vulcan and reignited what, I thought was, a LONG dead enthusiasm for the type :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

She looks gorgeous there. I'm sending that picture off to the Restoration Manager right now!
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Ray C » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Gaz you've started an Orgasmic trail......! ;)
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:12 am

I'm in the process of hunting down a refueling probe. I may have a VC10 one but my contact on 101 Sqn said no promises. I have also contacted my old WO regards a Nimrod probe - he may know who to contact. I know the Nimrod one will fit but unsure if the VC10 will. Being from the same era I assume they are standard but I shall confirm in due course.

I now need to contact Duxford, Hendon and Cosford to see if they have drawings for the nose leg oleo stay so I can try and get one made. (anyone fancy a job?).
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Avro683 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:13 pm

That picture is amazing and hints at how she could look once again!!
Have you been able to get inside her cockpit yet?
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Avro683 wrote:That picture is amazing and hints at how she could look once again!!
Have you been able to get inside her cockpit yet?

Not yet but it won't be a problem and of course, photo's will follow.
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Vulcan