Postby Bubbles » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 pm

I wasn't actually

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Re: Latest Quest for Funds

Postby Ray C » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:49 am

Just to add my 10 pennies worth (I know nothing about maintaining or restoring aircraft)
I just can't see funds comming in on any appeal for 558 with at best one last season in the
air...!

Look at this year £300,000 + raised (what an ordeal thay was) with part of the programme missed.

Simple maybe (Stupid) suggestion. Do a rental deal at Finningly or on appropriate airfield
with a hanger facillity, mothball her maybe with fee paying viewings and then carry out
light maintainance work on her until this financial (firestorm) were all in subsides.

Remember absence makes the heart grow fonder..... ;)
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Mayfly » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:29 am

It's not the funding or lack of, that will end her flying life Ray it's lack of airframe fatigue [FI] and engine cycles. There is no expertise left for the engines, no tooling, no jigs - to set it all up again would cost millions and millions. You can't moth ball her - it would cost far too much and take far to long to bring her back to flying standard again. Plus of course as I've already mentioned there is still the lack of flying life to deal with.

They have always struggled for funding and the end of each season brings the same claims of mismanagement, cost of wages etc, etc. when they have a fresh appeal for funds.

By the very nature of 558s complex category - the length of runway required, [not many airfields these days have the minimum required 6,500ft], conditions placed on the VTST by the HLF when they gave the grant it hasn't been an easy ride over the last 12-13 years. However the TVST did it! they returned 558 to the Sky and for that even the most hardened cynic and detractor can not say that to return 558 to fight wasn't the most ambitious aviation project ever especially for a civvy organisation with no corporate backing behind them, at least in the early days.

I don't always agree with the way things have gone and I know some have been treated quite badly others have not had the recognition they perhaps deserved and the management appear to have a habit of singing from different hymn sheets.

Personally I can't see V3e at Finningley working - I don't think a grounded museum piece will have enough appeal on it's own at an unproven venue.

I do however wish them all the luck and hope they succeed.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Jogger321 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:40 am

I agree once she is grounded she has very little interest from me and I think the plan to have her own museum is pie in the sky thinking! At the end of the day in a few years she will just be another vulcan that once flew.

I think the best place to send her to is Bruntie where at least she could participate for the next 20 years or so in fast ground running alongside the other cold war jets
Jogger321
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Kermit » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:39 pm

@ Mayfly

well said and you probably speak for most of us too.

Never bought the Ve3 idea, doesnt make sense, financially or otherwise.

Am I the only person to wonder at the near deafening silence that has greeted the last flight news on the VTTS website itself ? Stiff upper lip doesnt begin to cover it, so whats going on there ????
Kermit

Also Known As: jocelyn

Postby Jigsaw » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 pm

I'm with Mayfly and Kermit (ooer missus) ;)

I do also think that Brunty would be the best place for her as well :)
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby RLN » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Makes sense for Dave Walton to have her back at Brunty, otherwise as has been said, she would just be another museum exhibit gathering dust.
RLN

Postby Sploosher » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Jogger321 wrote:I agree once she is grounded she has very little interest from me and I think the plan to have her own museum is pie in the sky thinking! At the end of the day in a few years she will just be another vulcan that once flew.

I think the best place to send her to is Bruntie where at least she could participate for the next 20 years or so in fast ground running alongside the other cold war jets

Another option is send her to Wellesbourne so she can strut her stuff alongside XM655......... :ymapplause:

If there are funds available to go ahead with the Ve3 project, then why not have it there, just imagine the sight and soun \:D/ d of 2 Vulcans doing fast taxies
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Crew chief » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Sploosher wrote:
Jogger321 wrote:I agree once she is grounded she has very little interest from me and I think the plan to have her own museum is pie in the sky thinking! At the end of the day in a few years she will just be another vulcan that once flew.

Another option is send her to Wellesbourne so she can strut her stuff alongside XM655......... :ymapplause:

If there are funds available to go ahead with the Ve3 project, then why not have it there, just imagine the sight and soun \:D/ d of 2 Vulcans doing fast taxies

Nice idea but there is a lack of room at Wellesbourne.
I would give 558 back to the people who saved her in the first place Dave Walton and co.

cc.
I only do it with a long lead.
Crew chief
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Ray C » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:12 pm

Things will be not the same without....she's airbourne, she's over Lincoln, so on so on.....
Time for a new project....? I know Lightning city auction less than to weeks to go....!
a two seat Hunter or Buccaneer.

Get it bought !!!!! I daren't surggest a Lightning. :( :( ;)
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Minty4371 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:11 pm

See the latest graphic on here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Locomotive Trust
Minty4371
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Hazzer111 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Ray C wrote:Things will be not the same without....she's airbourne, she's over Lincoln, so on so on.....
Time for a new project....? I know Lightning city auction less than to weeks to go....!
a two seat Hunter or Buccaneer.

Get it bought !!!!! I daren't surggest a Lightning. :( :( ;)

How about another v bomber, VICTOR!!!! ;)
Hazzer111
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Bubbles » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Kermit wrote:@ Mayfly

Am I the only person to wonder at the near deafening silence that has greeted the last flight news on the VTTS website itself ? Stiff upper lip doesnt begin to cover it, so whats going on there ????

I'll get shot for this but sod it.

The deafening silence is because there's so few on there and anything that's considered negative etc is jumped on fairly quickly as is banter etc. the VTTSC forum is considered elsewhere to be a forum where free thought, opinion and speech is not allowed. A million page thread on football however is fine.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

Postby 10680 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:10 am

Might be difficult raising funds during the year next season. If £800,000 is the shortfall, is the other income budgetted at the levels of previous years? Will people spend knowing the aren't supporting a flying Vulcan? (into the future)

Although if there hadn't been an announcement they would have been accused of raising money under false pretences.
I'd rather be skiing

Postby Jigsaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:39 am

Bubbles wrote:
Kermit wrote:@ Mayfly

I'll get shot for this but sod it.

The deafening silence is because there's so few on there and anything that's considered negative etc is jumped on fairly quickly as is banter etc. the VTTSC forum is considered elsewhere to be a forum where free thought, opinion and speech is not allowed. A million page thread on football however is fine.

Shouldnt be shot. Nothing wrong with saying it how it is.

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 am

I think if you look at the back ground it's not surprising really - moderated mainly not by simply club members but those who have a close association with the Trust and look whose site it's hosted on.

You wouldn't expect to gate crash a Labour party conference wearing blue and shouting 'Up the Tories' without some objection!! :))

Saying that of course I know it has been the reason many have left over the last few years and closed their wallets when they did so. Once upon a time it was such a busy place.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Minty4371 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 am

Minty4371

Postby Jigsaw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:10 am

Minty4371 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2217846/Last-Cold-War-Vulcan-bomber-final-flight-year-soaring-restoration-costs.html

"The only action that XH558 saw was in the Falklands War in 1982 when it flew 8,000 miles to bomb the runway at Port Stanley and Argentinian planes on the ground"

:-o :-o

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Minty4371 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Will the report on the two engine damage be released into the public domain, or be kept private?
Minty4371

Postby Bubbles » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Private is my guess

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

Postby Minty4371 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Someone who was at a fundraising talk the other week says that it will be released at the end of the year.
Minty4371

Postby Bubbles » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Then you answered your own question :)

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

Postby Ramshornvortex » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Bubbles wrote:Then you answered your own question :)

Unless the
Someone who was at a fundraising talk the other week
was talking bolleaux of course....!

Besides, he didn't state the end of which year........
Ramshornvortex

Postby Hungry Haggis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Mayfly wrote:I think if you look at the back ground it's not surprising really - moderated mainly not by simply club members but those who have a close association with the Trust and look whose site it's hosted on.

You wouldn't expect to gate crash a Labor party conference wearing blue and shouting 'Up the Tories' without some objection!! :))

Saying that of course I know it has been the reason many have left over the last few years and closed their wallets when they did so. Once upon a time it was such a busy place.

And then why not do the same at the Tory one but UP Labor instead.I looked on there earlier and see they have 771 members registered We on the other hand have 536 and something And Kind moderators NO comparison i know but at least here you have the ability to have free speech and thought as long as the argument is non threatening or abusive( just my way of seeing it anyway.) I have noticed over there though the almost total lack of any criticism which i think is non productive .Sorry if this may offend some people but I for one prefer the banter on here .

Will they get the funding they need for just one more season .I sure hope so .There is No real reason why they should not .I also think Brunty would be by far the best place for her very last landing ,She is one of th elast cold war jets after all and they would I think keep her alive as long as they could same as all the others in the collection.
http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/s ... ancer.aspx . 2018 is not my favourite year at all
Hungry Haggis

Postby Bubbles » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:40 pm

Ramshornvortex wrote:
Bubbles wrote:Then you answered your own question :)

Unless the
Someone who was at a fundraising talk the other week
was talking bolleaux of course....!

Besides, he didn't state the end of which year........

Very true.

They may as well make it public as the circumstances behind the incident isn't a secret and to do otherwise will bring even more criticism, though on the other hand releasing the report is going to draw down a lot of flack. A case of rock and hard place.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Vulcan