£802K +

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Re: £802K +

Postby Spitfire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:03 pm

[Soap box mode on]
I hate the words Manager and Management ... as a Building Society 'Manager' of some 20 years I couldn't manage a pi§§ up in a brewery - my girls ran the office like clockwork because they were good at their jobs not because of my 'management' - I just sat in a big chair and took all the praise from above and the stick from below - I was good at selling - but that doesn't make you a good manager.

My boss was area manager because he was better at selling than me and that made him eligible for promotion - but now he has to be a proactive man manager and being good at selling doesn't make you good at that. In fact he was crap - he used big stick management - you do it because I say so.

I have long held the belief that people are promoted to the level of their own incompetance and that means most managers. Some of them were so bad they were promoted to get shot of them - and I've seen that in action ;)

REAL Management is a skill - a definite dyed in the wool gold plated skill - and you either have it or you don't.

[Soap box mode off] :D
User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5189
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Re: £802K +

Postby Mayfly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Spitfire wrote:[Soap box mode on]
I hate the words Manager and Management ... as a Building Society 'Manager' of some 20 years I couldn't manage a pi§§ up in a brewery - my girls ran the office like clockwork because they were good at their jobs not because of my 'management' - I just sat in a big chair and took all the praise from above and the stick from below - I was good at selling - but that doesn't make you a good manager.

My boss was area manager because he was better at selling than me and that made him eligible for promotion - but now he has to be a proactive man manager and being good at selling doesn't make you good at that. In fact he was crap - he used big stick management - you do it because I say so.

I have long held the belief that people are promoted to the level of their own incompetance and that means most managers. Some of them were so bad they were promoted to get shot of them - and I've seen that in action ;)

REAL Management is a skill - a definite dyed in the wool gold plated skill - and you either have it or you don't.

[Soap box mode off] :D


and your point is? :p
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29720
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: £802K +

Postby Spitfire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Well there you go .... you knew what I meant straight away Pam - management potential =))
User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5189
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Re: £802K +

Postby Dan4th » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:29 pm

I see exactly what you mean, David.....

The best managers are, well, they are
people who have the strength of personality
that makes others WANT to do what they
ask of them. My Great Uncle Paul Danforth,
long gone now, was a high level banker. His
"people" would have done ANYTHING for him.
He had a very easy way about him, but all of
those who worked for him would go to great
lengths to please him. I really think it's a
personality thing and a trust thing and a "We're
all in this Together" kind of a thing. Vision is
also part of it......

Not enough of these people, though....Too many
Big Stick Managers, as you say.

And, yes, I think Pammy would make an EXCELLENT
Manager of just about anything! With the possible
exception of SM's social calendar.....

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: £802K +

Postby Spitfire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Yep you're right there - I had one (and only one) really good manager above me when in the Building Society - he got to know me so well that he knew HOW to manage me - I am one of these people that can be high as a kite one minute and down on the floor the next - and very little in between ... but he learned how to pull me down off the ceiling and push me up off the floor - and I would have done anything for him ... he knew how to have a good belly laugh with you ... and how to bring you back in line with discipline ..... and he earned my respect and I gave it freely.

Most of my other managers - and there were many - were total tusses - they either let you run riot - or were too hard and squashed you flat.

As I said - it's an art B-) :D
User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5189
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Re: £802K +

Postby Saracenman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:55 pm

Spitfire wrote:.............- it's an art B-) :D


Image

?

=))
Lunchtime! ImageImage
User avatar
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 12047
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Away from Cats
Also Known As: Nobody

Re: £802K +

Postby Spitfire » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:00 am

Yeah - AN ART ... not a rock with holes in =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Image

?
User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5189
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Re: £802K +

Postby Saracenman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:23 am

all these Hepworths................. =p~
















































heathen! =))
Lunchtime! ImageImage
User avatar
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 12047
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Away from Cats
Also Known As: Nobody

Re: £802K +

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:39 am

What was this thread about originally? :p
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: £802K +

Postby RLN » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:06 am

:)) :))
User avatar
RLN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15709
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: £802K +

Postby Saracenman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:42 pm

ironic really - it's a thread about money, and yet it's me going on about how GREAT these shiny-rocks-with-holes-in are.................and in reality, they are just large bits of Ooop North Currency! =))
Lunchtime! ImageImage
User avatar
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 12047
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm
Location: Away from Cats
Also Known As: Nobody

Re: £802K +

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:37 pm

Saracenman wrote:ironic really - it's a thread about money, and yet it's me going on about how GREAT these shiny-rocks-with-holes-in are.................and in reality, they are just large bits of Ooop North Currency! =))



Is that the stuff they use to buy ferrets, pigeons and whippets? :))
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: £802K +

Postby Mayfly » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:52 pm

and flat caps :p
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29720
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: £802K +

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Tis GRIM ooooop North like! =))
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: £802K +

Postby Spitfire » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:44 pm

Xplumberlives wrote:What was this thread about originally? :p

That's why I like this forum - stuff develops and changes and no one really gives a monkeys =))
I can see that some threads need to stay on topic - but others not so - and that's the difference - no one whinges :D :ymapplause:
User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5189
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Re: £802K +

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Spitfire wrote:
Xplumberlives wrote:What was this thread about originally? :p

That's why I like this forum - stuff develops and changes and no one really gives a monkeys =))
I can see that some threads need to stay on topic - but others not so - and that's the difference - no one whinges :D :ymapplause:



Would that be aimed at a certain VULCAN based forum, known as the OTHER place? :ymapplause:
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: £802K +

Postby Spitfire » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:38 pm

NEVER crossed my mind - at all - not once - ever....now where's the pinocchio smilie =)) =))
User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5189
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Previous

Return to Anything Vulcan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests