Xh558 plans for future

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Re: Xh558 plans for future

Postby Bubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Voting finished in the very early hours of this morning, just saying ;)

If it all goes pear shaped with the seats out and lid off then the gas axe is a possibility, I can't see Doncasters owners being to keen to have ( to them anyway ) a large pile of scrap metal taking up an expensive hangar.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Postby Sooty655 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Bubbles wrote:Voting finished in the very early hours of this morning, just saying ;)

If it all goes pear shaped with the seats out and lid off then the gas axe is a possibility, I can't see Doncasters owners being to keen to have ( to them anyway ) a large pile of scrap metal taking up an expensive hangar.

Why does this remind me of a certain undercarriage leg a few years ago??

Is making the aircraft unmoveable then asking for money to re-assemble it part of the business plan??
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Bubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Makes you wonder doesn't it, seen a few comments saying the the suspension of servicing was planned in advance due to the gumpf about it hitting the letter box the day after it was announced.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

Postby Gaz » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:55 pm

You See!

Years of the "Mushroom" stance has made us VERY cynical
NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Bubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Reading a post on the trust forum has made me rethink things.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

Postby Ray C » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm

More sinister by the day.....! What undercarriage leg Sooty...? I'm a new boy remember.
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Sooty655 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Ray C wrote:More sinister by the day.....! What undercarriage leg Sooty...? I'm a new boy remember.

Long story, Ray.

During the winter maintenance at Lyneham in 2009/10, one of the main u/c legs was removed and sent to the manufacturer for overhaul, but work on it could not be started until the begging bowl had made enough circuits to pay for it.

This led to much criticism from a lot of people (including me) who thought critical items shouldn't be removed unless/until the funds to complete the work and replace the item were available.

As all the Ejection Seat shares are reported to have been sold, it may be that this time all necessary funds are available, assuming the estimation was correct and the funds do not get diverted to other uses.
Sooty

Sooty655

Postby Bubbles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:40 pm

I believe you're right, the money's is there to remove and send them off for the work. Question is who's gonna put them back and the lid back on if the plugs pulled before they're back?

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

Postby Sooty655 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Bubbles wrote:I believe you're right, the money's is there to remove and send them off for the work. Question is who's gonna put them back and the lid back on if the plugs pulled before they're back?

Well, if the estimation has been done professionally, it will include the cost of putting them back. If everyone else has gone, the Chief Executive and the Engineering Director can do it ~ it is a good bet they will still be on the payroll.
Sooty

Sooty655

Postby Ducati Boy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:13 pm

I see the annual convening of the Vulcans Doomed Club is back in town.
I must be mellowing now I am officially an OAP, as I find myself watching them with interest more than irritation these days. Seeing them flap around making the usual irrelevant squawkings and circling like vultures waiting for a meal. Most amusing. =)) =))

Nice to have dependable markers in the calendar ain't it. :D
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby RLN » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Nobody's opinion is irrelevant, and paranoia is an aid to digestion. The dependable markers are put on the calendar by VTTS, or whoever it is. The support for the engineers and support staff has always been stressed to the point of sycophancy, people will moan and whinge about something they love - it's human nature. What they say on fora matters not a jot - it is the depth of their pockets that VTTS is interested in.
RLN

Postby Ducati Boy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:03 pm

RLN,
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has them and unfortunately the output is frequently the same.!! :))
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy

Postby RLN » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Unfortunately or not, opinions do matter. Even yours. Apparently, we fought a war to ensure that privilege. To that end, I am now going to watch the Rememberance Service from the Albert Hall.
RLN

Postby Ducati Boy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:40 pm

RLN wrote:Unfortunately or not, opinions do matter. Even yours. Apparently, we fought a war to ensure that privilege. To that end, I am now going to watch the Rememberance Service from the Albert Hall.

Chill out RLN,

I have not sought to prevent anyone from having their opinion, my posts were aimed at bringing a little humour to the annual feeding frenzy, I should have realised someone would not find it funny and take it personally. :-o

I agree the right to have an opinion is a basic freedom we take for granted and is worth fighting for. However, there is no such right to expect respect or tolerance for the extreme expression of ones opinion or resulting actions and thats what we end up fighting against. [-x

Nice to know you are aware of the war "we" fought and the Rememberance Service, we will all be remembering the fallen this week-end in our own way. You are certainly not unique in the value you have for freedom of speech. I did 31 years service in pursuit of defending my belief in freedom and lost friends on several occasions in the process.

I will inevitably continue to ridicule any bull***t about the Vulcan, so anyone who can't take it --Tough prepare to be offended. :p :D
Ducati Boy

Postby RLN » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 pm

I am chilled out. I just disagreed with the bullying tactic of disregarding people's right to post their opinions whether I or you or anybody else agree with it or not. As you say, we shall remember our fallen, whether they be Brits, German or Commonwealth. I did not serve in the Services because I saw no point in perpetuating the morbid fascination surrounding that sort of thing. But, I remember on behalf of my parents who were there.
RLN

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 am

Any more thought as to where she will retire too whenever that day is?

Brunty gets my vote.
FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION - HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Ray C » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:41 am

It's nice and central....& currently has no Vulcan exhibit, the down side is she will have to
stand outside suffering the elements.....? There is something about viewing a GREAT aircraft
in a hanger.
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Gaz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:44 am

Planning permission has already been sought and granted for a bespoke hangar at the end of the runway.
NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ducati Boy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:26 pm

RLN wrote:I am chilled out. I just disagreed with the bullying tactic of disregarding people's right to post their opinions whether I or you or anybody else agree with it or not. As you say, we shall remember our fallen, whether they be Brits, German or Commonwealth. I did not serve in the Services because I saw no point in perpetuating the morbid fascination surrounding that sort of thing. But, I remember on behalf of my parents who were there.

No bullying from me RLN, perhaps you should read what I actually said about the right to an opinion, rather than saying what you think I said or what you wish to see??

You don't have to justify not being in the Forces to me or anyone else, nobody has to, thats a personal decision which I respect, after all not everyone is suited to or good enough for the job. However, I am sure more than a few Service personnel might find your opinion that membership of our forces would be a "Morbid fascination surrounding that sort of thing" as a bit extreme.

I'm off now to be morbidly fascinated by news of the Vulcan so TTFN and smile its less stressful. :D
Ducati Boy

Postby Jogger321 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:29 am

Gaz wrote:Planning permission has already been sought and granted for a bespoke hangar at the end of the runway.

For Dave Walton the cost of sticking up a hanger is peanuts if she can be housed in it..Incidentally I have a lot of time for him and we should not forget we would not have had a flying vulcan without his efforts in purchasing xh558 from the MOD and hangering her.

I think the Doncaster museum or whatever is a non starter.. Far better to hanger her at Brunty and bring her out a couple of times a year for fast taxi as the climax to a cold war jets day.
Jogger321
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Exceptionalsleeper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:29 am

Jogger321 wrote:
Gaz wrote:Planning permission has already been sought and granted for a bespoke hangar at the end of the runway.

For Dave Walton the cost of sticking up a hanger is peanuts if she can be housed in it..Incidentally I have a lot of time for him and we should not forget we would not have had a flying vulcan without his efforts in purchasing xh558 from the MOD and hangering her.

I think the Doncaster museum or whatever is a non starter.. Far better to hanger her at Brunty and bring her out a couple of times a year for fast taxi as the climax to a cold war jets day.

Most logical decision. With an expanding aerodrome like Royal Air Force Station Finningley (balls to that Robin Hood crap!) I can't imagine they could afford prime space for a building that houses 100,000lbs of dead metal. Brunty could bring this metal to life periodically and bring Sqn Ldr Thomas out of retirement to thrash her down the runway. Pleming's VE3 vision is a little too far fetched.
FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION - HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998
Exceptionalsleeper
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Dougs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:48 pm

"Pleming's VE3 vision is a little too far fetched."
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
B-)
Dougs

Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Postby Bubbles » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:24 pm

The planning permission at Brunty isn't quite so cut and dried and building a hangar isn't peanuts, That's not to say he wouldn't put his hand in his pocket again because unlike the other locations Brunty is owned by an enthusiast who loves the aeroplane.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

Previous

Return to Anything Vulcan