Scramble Day Pics

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Re: Scramble Day Pics

Postby Dangerousdave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks, I don't 'do' technical!
Not a bad turnout really. I phone the local radio station yesterday and they put it on the radio an hour before arrival. There were some photographers there too so I assume one from the local press was there. As I have said, you'd have thought a table with a few bits of tvoc merchandise, membership forms, t-shirts, mugs etc would not have been too much effort especially to support guys driving 880 miles to raise money and publicity. I joined this site following differences of opinion with some of TVOC forum moderators and becuase I disagree with the way those at the top are (or aren't) handling things, but they still dont seem too bothered about publicising today or flogging tvoc things (which publicise it further). ~x(
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Postby Saracenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:30 am

there's a thread for that here too DD =))

overall, it seems that the scramble turnout was superb! I'd be very surprised if this didn't bring us the desperately needed publicity and support.

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody

Postby Gully » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:53 am

We had a good day at Hendon today - lots of interest and a reasonable footfall, given the XL318 is positioned in the far corner of the Bomber Hall like a naughty child! Pledges and the pledge leflets were forbidden by the RAF Museum, as was the selling of merchandise, so our task was to raise awareness, talk about the pledge scheme and give out business cards with the website address and phone number on them. Dr P joined us for a good part of the afternoon, adding some gravitas to our message.

Regarding mechandising generally, the Scramble arrangers have had to adopt a softly-softly approach with many of the venues to secure both access and a day-long presence. The selling of Trust and Club merchandise was a step too far for several, as they saw that as directly detracting from their own coffers: these agreements had to be respected.

IMHO, Trust and Club have worked together well on this to maximise publicity at the venues within the constraints imposed and (as usual) subject to the whims of the press. As I said above, Dr P turned out at Hendon, Andrew E and Miriam T were at Cosford, Colin M at Coventry, Barry M at Norwich, Kev R at Newark and Martin W spent almost as much time following the Scramblers around as he did getting to Ascension Island from Waddo - pretty good Trust involvement. And of course Mr 558 DT was at Waddo and Brunty was staffed! *

All in all a successful day - the Scramblers have made it safely to Essex (hope they get out again!) and 558's plight is known to thousands more people than it was this morning. Oh, and the pledge fund went up by some £56k... :ymapplause:

Let's hope the pledge momentum continues as the press use the material they secured today.

Gully

* Edit: Plus Mike P was at Wellesborne
Last edited by Gully on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aircraft - The Greatest Gigs in the Sky!
Gully
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Saracenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:18 am

Gully - that's an excellent résumé of the scramble events - THANK YOU :)

a couple pf interesting point that you raise too:

a) the better relations between Trust and Club - at last! I've seen it for myself for a few months now and it IS a good thing! in my opinion, the Club must become more and more prominent; with an enormous skill-base and incredible passion for 558, i firmly believe that more could and SHOULD be done by the Club, therefore relieving the Trust's burden - one with which it has continually struggled to cope.

b) the difficulties with merchandise sales etc at the scramble locations. as i have endlessly said for some time now, it really is not simply all about the money! TVOC have appeared to have this "if it doesn't have a price tag, it's low-priority" attitude - a HUGE mistake in my opinion. whilst the scramble has certainly brought in some very impressive pledge/donation totals, it's really the publicity and awareness (yes, my two favourite words!) that's of biggest value here.

overall, assuming that we will never see this oft-promised but ever-elusive commercial sponsor (which i still feel that we won't until the Education Department provides some saleable 'goodwill' to attract a sponsor), the only hope that 558 has is the Club and it's members - this is where we need to focus our efforts in the immediate future. there is absolutely NO reason why our membership numbers shouldn't be 30,000+ rather than less than 10,000 at present

more hands to the pump! ;)

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby RLN » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks for the info, Gully. It seems that it was a successful day, and as SM says, if the press give us the column inches, it will be even better. Well done to all who took part. both The Scramblers " and all the support. :ymapplause:
RLN

Postby Wedgy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:48 am

Gives us all a real 'feel good factor' too :D
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby Mayfly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:02 am

well from my view point there has certainly been an attitude change for the better, at last they realise that 558 has done all that was asked of her & has 'no aces left up her sleeve', and as big sponsor has not been forthcoming other avenues must be followed, I just hope it's not too late.

The club has done a wonderful job over the years fund raising and I believe they can do even better given the opportunity & enough support. In the 'credit crunch' age people will still part with their money but need to feel they get value for it and most will spend on their children if not themselves.........

Does anyone here belong to other supporters clubs of any description? If so what do you get for your annual fee?
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Xplumberlives » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:28 am

Saracenman wrote:ok ok - i'm a twat! :((

Nice to see it in writing though!!!!!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Nickolas » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 am

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Chief Constable of the Forum Police
Proud parent of Tom.com & King Willy.
Chairman of 309 (Sawbridgeworth) Sqn Association Committee
Owner of Stanley Schnauzer....
Nickolas
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Dad to Cllr TDC

Postby Dee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Dangerousdave wrote:I was at Newark and got a couple of pics. There were around 25 supporters there too. Steve let me know that by 20:00 hrs they had raised 50k so not bad. Shame no-one from tvoc was sat under the Vulcan at Newark with membership forms or merchandise though!! :o)

I have never seen the legendary DT without a flying suit on, I thought he even slept in one. Anyhow, I'll try to put some pics on here from Newark when I work out how to do it.

Hello i was at Newark too, and i know what you mean about TVOC but.... under the Newark Museum rules we weren't allowed to sell any Vulcan merchandise or more to the point we were not allowed to have any collecting tins (shame cos people asked us were they where) they had fallen out with TVOC a few years ago for breaking these said rules and we were only permitted at the last minute so to speak to be there at all!! We did give out free 558 goodie bag and pledge forms so hopefully some went home and pledged. I would just like to thank Howard Heeley of the Newark Airmuseum for looking after us through the day.
Dee

Postby Mayfly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:53 pm

such a shame, DT gets on extremely well with Newark always been helpful to him when he wanted to promote/sell anything for 558

tho' I don't think it's an isolated case
Last edited by Mayfly on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Wedgy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:53 pm

That is a real shame Dee :(
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby Dangerousdave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 pm

I know most of the commitee at Newark and have done for a while. I wont name names though, but I dont think it would have hurt to let tvoc flog stuff. From what I can see at Newark they didn't exactly help to promote things. Shame really, as every adult walking through their doors paid over six quid to get in. You'd have thought they would have publicised it as muuch as possible to get people through the doors and money in their own pocket.
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Postby Mayfly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:41 pm

yesterdays filming at Waddington was on Look North this morning several times & has just had a 1m55sec slot on the lunch time news

Mayfly

Postby Wizzy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:01 pm

We drove down from York to go to Newark yesterday (it was a choice between Sunderland, Newark or Waddington, and having never been to Newark, that won!). It was really good to meet everyone, and Dee, Naddy and co were doing a stirling job, having been there all day in the cold.

I've posted a selection of my photos from the day over here...
http://www.vulcantothesky.org/forums/to ... IC_ID=5059
Life is what happens to you whilst you're busy making other plans...
Wizzy
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby MrTim » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Mayfly wrote:yesterdays filming at Waddington was on Look North this morning several times & has just had a 1m55sec slot on the lunch time news

That's 3 times I've missed it now :(
MrTim
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Also Known As: Eduard von Foodmixer

Postby Mayfly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:48 pm

MrTim wrote:
Mayfly wrote:yesterdays filming at Waddington was on Look North this morning several times & has just had a 1m55sec slot on the lunch time news

That's 3 times I've missed it now :(

Haha you'll have us believe you're too busy working next =))

make sure you catch the 6.30 news - the interviewer is a producer so I'm hoping for a reasonable slot

Mayfly

Postby Xplumberlives » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:51 pm

I was amused to see Barry (capt Coalhole) Masefield labelled as a VULCAN ENTHUSIAST, I thought the ITV types might have been alittle more specific about his role in the proceedings!!!!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Mayfly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Xplumberlives wrote:I was amused to see Barry (capt Coalhole) Masefield labelled as a VULCAN ENTHUSIAST, I thought the ITV types might have been alittle more specific about his role in the proceedings!!!!

yeah & Taff was descibed this morning as an ex pilot - so much for accurate reporting - just goes to prove you cant believe all you hear see or read !!!

Mayfly

Postby Ducati Boy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:41 pm

:)) :)) :)) :)) Get yourself a Duke mate and sharpen up
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Well done to the hardy souls at the wave at Waddo and to the Scramblers, Mint effort :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause

Gosh Mayfly, what?? Taff accused of being a mere Driver Airframe, Blimey I hope he wasn't too offended =)) =)) :)) :)) No offence to DT of course! :D

On the Newark issue, isn,t it time whoever upset them made peace?? Assuming the offender/s are still about.
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Mayfly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Mayfly

Postby Saracenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:58 pm

\:D/ :ymapplause: :D

ta muchly lots Mayfly

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Bubbles » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:10 pm

I recently pissed off a member of the Comittee or trustees, cant remember which he was but i was suprised to find he ws one as he has been Anti- T.V.O.C. on another forum for some years now. Bit of a poor attitude for someone involved in the preservation of Historic Aircraft if you ask me.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Postby Saracenman » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:30 pm

eh? what? :p
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Bubbles » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:55 pm

I posted the venues and times for the scramble and some tosser asked if they were all onboard, i was informed they were and said so, turns out they Newark werent and he started being a pratt about it, instead of PM'ing me. had he done so i would have edited or removed the post but he chose to be a pillock instead. and for yonks now this pleb has been on a anti 558 mission.

Yes, yes you did!
Bubbles

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Vulcan