558 latest

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Re: 558 latest

Postby Dangerousdave » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Did you realise how little some of the engineers earn right now? It wouldn't be enough to pay my mortgage!
I have a friend who is an engineer on the project (who I shall not name) and he was telling me stuff about the way the money is handled which quite amazed me, as well as figures involved for some parts as well. I think when certain well pai management are staying in expensive hotels in London but the engineers are struggling to pay bills through poor wages something is clearly wrong. I have met most of the workers on 558, the engineers and so forth and they are all a great bunch of guys. They are so passionate about what they do so I really want it to succeed.

Maybe to stop any future confusion TVOC need to sort out some independant people, accountants, engineers and just Joe public to ask questions about everything on a weekly basis form why this was done, why that was done, etc.
My friend said they would love to put some comments on the TVOC forums about the top people but obviously cant.

I think it appears to many that the management are earning a lot more for 'managing' (some may say, mis-managing), a project than the people who are in it for the passion. If they just see it as a job then if it fails they just shrug their shoullders and walk away. To the grease monkies it is something they need to do out of love for 558 but I get the impression that others just see it as a business consultation role (which is rather well paid)!

I appreciate there is lots of red tape involved and mountins of paperwork too and it is a lot more complex than meets the eye, but certain forum moderators and also certain management appear to have upset people, or given people the feeling of being misled.

I think a small independant team of volunteer technical, financial and lay people would certainly not harm the project as they can ask the questions others want the answers too, look at the books and see what is happening. They should scrutinize everything and TVIC should know they are doing so as it is in everyone's best interests.
Also, you can have all the degrees and be members of all sorts of professional aviation bodies but have no common sense so sometimes an outsiders perspective may be needed.

Feel free to shout at me,as I am bound to have upset someone! ~x(
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Postby Ducati Boy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:38 am

Dangerous Dave, Looks like you survived the behind the scenes trip :) Bit of an eye opener ain't it mate. Now you see what we spanner weilders have to do for our money. Pity more of the critics can't see it too, it ain't all fun on the greasy end of the stick ;)
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Mayfly » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:12 am

I have been aware that the engineers could earn much more elsewhere for a long while & it is the love of 558 that keeps them at Bruntingthorpe - thank you guys,
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby RLN » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:30 am

Ducati Boy wrote:Dangerous Dave, Looks like you survived the behind the scenes trip :) Bit of an eye opener ain't it mate. Now you see what we spanner weilders have to do for our money. Pity more of the critics can't see it too, it ain't all fun on the greasy end of the stick ;)

You won't find any critics of the clankies here DB. I for one am astonished by your dedication and stamina :ymapplause:
RLN

Postby Wedgy » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:04 am

Stamina? I bet you say that to all the boys RLN :)) (sorry, couldnt resist :) )
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby RLN » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 am

:p
RLN

Postby Ducati Boy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:21 am

RLN wrote:
Ducati Boy wrote:Dangerous Dave, Looks like you survived the behind the scenes trip :) Bit of an eye opener ain't it mate. Now you see what we spanner weilders have to do for our money. Pity more of the critics can't see it too, it ain't all fun on the greasy end of the stick ;)

You won't find any critics of the clankies here DB. I for one am astonished by your dedication and stamina :ymapplause:
We are, of course, quite mad :o) :o).

Maybe we have been a touch too dedicated for our own good! But now we are redundant yet again I think all bets are off unless things change quite a bit, assuming we are repreived or still available to be repreived.

An average wage for a basic mechanic, with no responsibilities, in the industry would be about £18+ per hour. About 50% more than most at Bruntingthorpe. Opportunities are good especially for anyone who can do electrical work and is prepared to go where the euros are, about 28/hour, all expenses paid of course. ;) I have job offers locally which exceed my current rate considerably and saving me the cost of a daily trip of 140 miles. Where would you go? :(
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Saracenman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:26 am

=))
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody