558 latest

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

558 latest

Postby Mayfly » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:21 am

In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Re: 558 latest

Postby Nickolas » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:27 am

Well dome Pam, that's one hell of an endorsement...............

Will it produce any funds though?

I Doubt that this government will be interested, they are hell bent on destroying all that people have striven for over the years.
IMHO.
Chief Constable of the Forum Police
Proud parent of Tom.com & King Willy.
Chairman of 309 (Sawbridgeworth) Sqn Association Committee
Owner of Stanley Schnauzer....
Nickolas
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Dad to Cllr TDC

Postby Mayfly » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 am

as much as I would love to see 558 have a secure & stable future I peronally cannot endorse anything that would take funds away from the front line.......

To be given free hanagage & sevices as Ducati Boy mentioned in another thread would be an emormous help but the beans counters only see it as lost revenue I afraid, whether the hangarage is reduntant or not....

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby RLN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 am

Cosidering the clout of the mentioned signatories to the letter, if this doesn't work nothing will. Whoever co-ordinated this did very well.
RLN

Postby Spitfire » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 am

That's the sort of clout that's needed - hope someone takes notice - its a shame the 3 main signatories aren't stumping up wonga in the meantime though - they are the sort of wallas with spare cash that could do something to allay the current funding crisis. ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:47 am

press conference on BBC now so I'm told tho' I haven't seen it.......

Mayfly

Postby IanM » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Just pulled this off the Vulcan to the sky homepage.

Letter from important people to the government wrote:SIR – The public has donated more than £5 million over three years for the restoration of the last delta-winged Avro Vulcan bomber. She is the only flying Vulcan in the world and the reaction last summer to her triumphant return to display flying was ecstatic.

The stirringly beautiful Vulcan in flight is an inspiration to the young and a reminder of the need to increase the country’s skills in design, engineering and manufacturing. The Vulcan is also a penetrating reminder of the lessons and sacrifices of the Cold War.

The efforts to keep Vulcan flying now face potentially insuperable funding challenges. We call upon the MoD to give a home to Vulcan in an expanded RAF Memorial Flight. The public paid for Vulcan’s return; now the Government needs to help keep her flying.

Sir Richard Branson

Sir George Cox
Chairman, The Design Council

Marshal of the RAF Lord Craig of Radley
Former Chief of Defence Staff

Bruce Dickinson
Iron Maiden lead singer and pilot

Frederick Forsyth

Robin Gibb
Songwriter and performer

Peter Hennessy
Professor of History, University of London

Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Knight
Vulcan pilot

Nick Mason
Pink Floyd drummer and pilot

Captain David Rowland
President, The Royal Aeronautical Society
Ian

Image Image
IanM
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Postby Mackrick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Well as its not yet been mentioned this is from the BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7883048.stm
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede
Mackrick

Postby Spitfire » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:43 pm

Spitfire wrote:That's the sort of clout that's needed - hope someone takes notice - its a shame the 3 main signatories aren't stumping up wonga in the meantime though - they are the sort of wallas with spare cash that could do something to allay the current funding crisis. ;)

Having been on TVOC to look for stuff about this I saw a comment that's made me think about my post above..... the comment was - why should these people use their money to fund 558 ?? It's their choice where they spend it very much like my own decision not to give any more financial support - the other comment was that it's very easy being a 'keyboard warrior' - very true - and food for thought. :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Saracenman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:14 pm

as i said on TVOC forum - can't be arsed to type it twice =))

a day of mixed 'good/bad' news i think.

yes it is excellent that a letter such as this, with some 'big' names at the bottom has made it into the National Press (i hope that the other broadsheets carried it as well???) but...

i truly hope that it isn't seen as "we couldn't do it, so the Gov't must bail us out!"

at a time when we have seen major financial houses,and their 'greedy and incompetent' directors, seemingly fritter money away only to receive huge rescue-packages from the public purse (aka Northern Rock etc.), it would be a great shame if the Telegraph readership were to get the same idea with 558's plight.

whilst the BBMF is self-funding, even if it weren't, some things are sacrosanct - like BBMF! sadly i really don't think that 558 falls into the same bracket, however much we might love her.

so, that being said, i would like to see 558 under the RAF's 'wing' (groan! :p ) - but for it to meet with Whitehall/Gov't/MoD/public approval, 558 must be seen to be a worthwhile 'asset' in the guise of a vital educational and/or recruitment tool as, with the latter, she used to be in the days of the VDF.

still, the education aspect to 558 remains the pivotal aspect. i sincerely hope that this important message comes across loud and clear in that letter, and not just a plea for aid.

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody

Postby XH558 Press Office » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Vulcan on brink of closure; has last flight already occurred?

The Vulcan Effect

Over last summer Vulcan XH558 made a triumphant return to air displays around the UK. She was the star of the show wherever she appeared, generating such a strong reaction from her 1.5million audience that the media were moved to call it the Vulcan Effect.
What has truly surprised and pleased is the reaction of youngsters seeing the Vulcan for the first time. There are very few sights and sounds with the power to stimulate and inspire the young, but the Vulcan in flight is indisputably one of them.
That was last summer. Unfortunately the Vulcan to the Sky Trust (VTST) has to announce today that the prospects of seeing the Vulcan fly again in 2009 are currently looking very poor.

Grim future for the Vulcan team

VTST is running out of cash. The current conditions – an economic “Perfect Storm” – are making corporate sponsorship increasingly difficult to secure, and recessionary fears are understandably limiting the flow of charitable donations.
The Trust has just enough money to pay the wages bill at the end of the month. As the result, last Monday, VTST had to put all of its employees on one month’s notice.
Whilst huge numbers of people saw the Vulcan display last summer, by contrast, hardly anyone appears to know of XH558’s plight now.
Only the further generosity of the public can now save the Vulcan. £1million is needed to keep going this year, and secure the financial footing for the future.

Pledges are the way forward

Just before Christmas, VTST started a Pledge campaign, looking for promises of donations which could be called in once the target had been reached. The response has been good, today reaching £260,000. At least £150,000 can be added from other sources to this amount.
We are hoping that the public will want to see the amazing Vulcan fly again this year. The public need to help us by pledging now, either through our website www.vulcantothesky.org or by phone to our office on 0116 247 8145. Even the smallest pledge helps, because it is people in their thousands who make the difference.
The very real danger is that we won’t get near enough to our target of £1million by the end of the month. If we don’t, the Trust will be destined to rapidly go into administration, which would inevitably lead to the sale of the aircraft, probably to an American buyer. What a terrible waste of all the money, effort and heartache which went into restoring XH558 back to flight.

It’s quite remarkable that £50million can be raised for a Titian that will be seen by only a few thousand people a year, but that we are struggling to raise a fiftieth of that amount for another stirringly beautiful British creation that will be seen by millions every year.
Immediate action is required if this great British icon is to continue honouring the past and inspiring the future. Apart from pledging donations, supporters are also encouraged to sign the petition at http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/vulcan-XH558/

-ends-

Editor’s Information
The Avro Vulcan was designed in the late 1940’s by the same team that built the Avro Lancaster, to carry the British atomic bomb. Despite the modern aspects of her design, only eleven years separated the first flight of the Vulcan from the first flight of the Lancaster. Surprisingly, the Vulcan’s first flight in 1952 is nearer in time to the Wright Brothers first ever flight in 1903 than it is to today.
The Vulcan is a stunning example of the best of British engineering. What other creations still stop people in their tracks 56 years after their first appearance?
Vulcan XH558, is the only flying Vulcan in the world, and is also the oldest complete Vulcan anywhere. She represents the over 300 bombers which made up the UK’s contribution to the NATO strategy of deterrence. The RAF’s V-Force helped save the world during the bleak and dangerous years of the Cold War. Our Vulcan is now an inspiring tribute to the hundreds of thousands of dedicated service men and women who maintained and flew the aircraft. She is a vital part of Britain’s heritage.
Some twelve years ago in 1997, the effort to return her to flight was started. One-by-one, the vast number of tasks to get her flying again were completed, not the least of which was raising the £7million it eventually needed to complete the restoration.
£2.7million of this came from the Heritage Lottery Fund, who recognized the importance of the Vulcan to the Nation. Further contributions came in kind from the aerospace industry and the Royal Air Force, including significant support from Marshall of Cambridge. But the majority of the cash came from an entirely supportive public, who desperately wanted to see her fly again.
For more information on the Vulcan, please contact either:
Richard Clarke:
07714 898548 / richard@rclarke7.wanadoo.co.uk
or Michael Trotter:
07803 141483 / mtrotter@vulcantothesky.org
or Robert Pleming:
07850 624173 / rpleming@vulcantothesky.org
XH558 Press Office
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Spitfire » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:30 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I begin to feel like this posting of the great long diatribe above is on the verge of spam :( We is all growed up people here - even Tom - and we only need to see that once to understand its importance - so to see it posted twice in 2 different threads is a bit of overkill IMHO. Its not like we are going to miss it. By all means have an XH558 Press Office thread - fine - good idea - but keep it out of the other threads thanks - this is not TVOC.

I have noted its content and earlier this evening I copied it and sent it by email to the local papers down here - so don't label me a kill joy - or negative or whatever ... I just get so fed up with it getting plastered all over the place - with a post that long once is enough thank you. Publicity is one thing - but over kill is another.

I came over here to get away from it a bit ;) :p
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Wedgy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:41 pm

Already dealt with. Agree there is no need to have more than one identical post. As this is "558 latest" news I kept this post here.
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby Spitfire » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:51 pm

Thanks Wedgy - speedy service and with a smile :D
Glad someone agreed ;) :p
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ducati Boy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:00 am

Spitfire wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I begin to feel like this posting of the great long diatribe above is on the verge of spam :( We is all growed up people here - even Tom - and we only need to see that once to understand its importance - so to see it posted twice in 2 different threads is a bit of overkill IMHO. Its not like we are going to miss it. By all means have an XH558 Press Office thread - fine - good idea - but keep it out of the other threads thanks - this is not TVOC.

I have noted its content and earlier this evening I copied it and sent it by email to the local papers down here - so don't label me a kill joy - or negative or whatever ... I just get so fed up with it getting plastered all over the place - with a post that long once is enough thank you. Publicity is one thing - but over kill is another.

I came over here to get away from it a bit ;) :p
Find that line a bit hard to understand mate, how can we call for publicity and then complain when it is provided?? :-\

Presumably you came to have freedom of access, freedom of speech and freedom to post too, regardless of who or what you represent! That's why I came over for sure!! Inevitably I realise that will mean some views that I agree with, but I'd fight for your right to say them. :|

I do hope this is not going to become a site where only views agreeable to certain strongly opinioned people are acceptable and everyone else must shut up for fear of vigorous opposition. :-s

Last point, this is I think a Vulcan related thread ??
;)
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Spitfire » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:15 am

Ducati Boy wrote:Find that line a bit hard to understand mate, how can we call for publicity and then complain when it is provided?? :-\

Presumably you came to have freedom of access, freedom of speech and freedom to post too, regardless of who or what you represent! That's why I came over for sure!! Inevitably I realise that will mean some views that I agree with, but I'd fight for your right to say them. :|

I do hope this is not going to become a site where only views agreeable to certain strongly opinioned people are acceptable and everyone else must shut up for fear of vigorous opposition. :-s

Last point, this is I think a Vulcan related thread ??
;)

Well its really easy to understand :D - I am perfectly happy for the Vulcan to be promoted - get whatever publicity it can - etc - which is why I said I had emailed the stuff provided to my local paper .... and yes it is indeed a Vulcan thread .... BUT at the same time the Vulcan Press Officer, whoever he is, felt it necessary to post the same great long post in both this and the Press Office thread at virtually the same time ... I just felt it was too much - we only need one copy - we CAN read. Vulcan thread yes - Vulcan site no ;)
And Wedgy agreed as he removed one ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Dan4th » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:18 am

Speaking as an American, I can only say that I
stongly resent the use of the "Murkin Card" in
that supposed press release. I am unaware of
any group or individual who is actively going
after Vulcan for whatever reason. The person
who wrote that broadside was obviously clutching
at straws.

As for me, I only have the best and strongest good
will toward 558 AND the British people. For some
git to imply that Americans are somehow waiting
with itchy fingers to steal away YOUR Vulcan and
take her away is absurd.

I want to know who wrote that. I REALLY WANT to
know who wrote that. Angry doesn't even come close
to telling you how I feel at this moment.

Speechless.

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby Dangerousdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 am

Whether the government pay towards it or not, there has still been alot of money thrown at it already. I want to see her fly again for sure, but from what I once read on the old TVC site, it was destined to only fly a further 5 or 6 years anyway. It's alot of hard work and money going into what is a short term of flying.

I find it strange though that TVOC want people struggling to pay bills, mortgages etc to contribute to the wages of people in TVIC who are on VAST amounts of money. It sounds a bit like 'Well I may earn 5 times your salary, but can YOU give me some of your money anyway please'.

Also, the government wont give 1 Million for the project, but we give more than that PER HOUR to Europe and have to beg for a bit back. Also, a million might sound like a lot of money, but how much does a Typhoon cost? A birdstrike in one of those rights off, what, 60 million or so?

On a lighter note, I have a friend on the engineer team who is giving me a guided tour behind the scenes on Monday and I'm really excited. I did ask for a test drive but was told I couldnt have one. They wouldn't even let me have an Olympus for my BMW. The amount I have given to TVOC I reckon I must have bought one by now.
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Postby Saracenman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:52 am

Dan4th wrote:Speaking as an American, I can only say that I
stongly resent the use of the "Murkin Card" in
that supposed press release. I am unaware of
any group or individual who is actively going
after Vulcan for whatever reason. The person
who wrote that broadside was obviously clutching
at straws.

As for me, I only have the best and strongest good
will toward 558 AND the British people. For some
git to imply that Americans are somehow waiting
with itchy fingers to steal away YOUR Vulcan and
take her away is absurd.

I want to know who wrote that. I REALLY WANT to
know who wrote that. Angry doesn't even come close
to telling you how I feel at this moment.

Speechless.

Dan4th

sadly i fear that TVOC has continually found convenient pegs upon which to hang their past mistakes - the 'Credit Crunch' being a prime example.

as for the reports of Dr. Pleming saying that 'the project' is worth £10m, if anyone were to buy it (be they filthy Murkins or otherwise ;) ) - well i find that laughable!

has Dr. P never watched an episode of Dragon's Den? how many times have entrepreneurs been told that the value place on their company is ridiculous?

just what does Dr. P believe is worth £10m? does that mean that, without the enormous amounts owed to various creditors, VTST is worth even more?

ridiculous - utterly ridiculous!

any concept of a Murkin coughing up even a fraction of that to whisk 558 away from our jewelled isle is, i think, a complete non-starter!

Danf - when you have our cute li'l airplane tucked up in your back yard - give me a shout please! :p

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Also Known As: Nobody

Postby Dan4th » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:12 am

SM:

I'd have to tear down my house, I'm afraid, to
make room......

STILL ANGRY! Who wrote that "press release"?

I really DO want to know!

Seething Murkin:

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby Checkflaps » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:02 am

Vulcan to America - don't think so somehow.

If my memory serves me right (which it frequently doesn't), Kermit Weeks WAS interested in getting a Vulcan for his collection back when they were being scrapped. That didn't work out then and I really can't see him throwing his money at one now. Beyond him, WHY would Americans want a Vulcan? Yes, they are beautiful aircraft, but what relavence do they have to Joe Public in the US. How many would even recognise one (no offence D4th).

With 2 Vulcans in America already, 1 of whch is under threat (at Barksdale AFB), there just isn't the interest for another.

Also, who is going to pay off all of TVOC's creditors (including the HLF) - and THEN fly XH558 there and hip all the stock? Its not like America has somehow avoided the worldwide economic slowdown and everyone has buckets of cash to throw at large and expensive foreign military aircraft.

I'm not giving up, but I am struggling to see just HOW this can have a successful outcome.

4 weeks and counting...................

CF :(
Checkflaps
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Xplumberlives » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 am

Tim Mclellend seems to be the most vociferous of those championing the MURKIN possibilities!!!!!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby IanM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 am

Checkflaps wrote:Vulcan to America - don't think so somehow.

If my memory serves me right (which it frequently doesn't), Kermit Weeks WAS interested in getting a Vulcan for his collection back when they were being scrapped. That didn't work out then and I really can't see him throwing his money at one now. Beyond him, WHY would Americans want a Vulcan? Yes, they are beautiful aircraft, but what relavence do they have to Joe Public in the US. How many would even recognise one (no offence D4th).

With 2 Vulcans in America already, 1 of whch is under threat (at Barksdale AFB), there just isn't the interest for another.

Also, who is going to pay off all of TVOC's creditors (including the HLF) - and THEN fly XH558 there and hip all the stock? Its not like America has somehow avoided the worldwide economic slowdown and everyone has buckets of cash to throw at large and expensive foreign military aircraft.

I'm not giving up, but I am struggling to see just HOW this can have a successful outcome.

[pedant mode] There are 3 [/pedant mode]

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... be&t=h&z=4

:D
Ian

Image Image
IanM

Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm

IanM wrote:
Checkflaps wrote:Vulcan to America - don't think so somehow.

[pedant mode] There are 3 [/pedant mode]

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF ... be&t=h&z=4

:D

Nothing new there then!
I love chocolate!
Louise
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby IanM » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:35 pm