any idea who the two scramblees are?
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody

Re: 24 Hour Vulcan Scramble

Postby Spitfire » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Saracenman wrote:any idea who the two scramblees are?

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4762
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby MadNaddy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Firstly, a bit of background:
The concept came from two dedicated supporters, father and son team Robert and Steven Lowe. Robert (52) is a former member of the Vulcan Association from the days of the Vulcan Display Flight. Steven (28) is a corporal in the Royal Air Force and is an Aircraft Technician (mechanical). Steven is “exceptionalsleeper” here on the forum.

The club were approached with the idea and we immediately saw the potential to capitalise on the idea to spread our message far and wide. A small team of volunteers have been working on its implementation over the last few weeks offering support to Robert and Steven and we have specific contacts looking after vital aspects to ensure we gain the maximum impact.

Myself, Dickon and Richard Clarke will be looking after Promotion, Press and Media whilst also handling the operations at “Scramble Control” on the 22nd .

Sarah & Keith Abbott, Jane & Malcolm Thomas & Toni have all been vital in getting the sites involved in this and yet there is still much work to be done. They will be looking after membership co-ordination, with the aim of having representation at most of the sites on the day. No doubt they will “chip in” with updates and requests for areas that need support in the hope of securing more volunteers from the membership here.

Steven & Robert are sorting logistics out with Taff and Andrew. There will be many more to thank in the background - above all, this is a “team” effort.

You also can “get involved” with this project or the Vulcan that is nearest you. There will be posters to display, press to contact, leaflets to be handed out, members of the public to speak with and plenty of “Pledge Forms” to fill in - donations to be collected !!

The route (subject to confirmation) is currently planned as: East Fortune: Sunderland: Carlisle: Woodford: Cosford: Wellesbourne: Coventry: Bruntingthorpe: East Midlands: Newark: Waddington: Norwich: Duxford: Hendon: Southend.

Total distance is over 850 miles with a time of approx 18 hours 50minutes, not including stops and traffic. Even on a good day, this would give a maximum 15 minute stopover at each location. It is not a race and speed limits will be adhered to – it is a “challenge”.

Travelling with the team, will be our one and only “Smiler” - Crew Chief Taff Stone.
He will have his 3G laptop with him and will update his blog from the back seat with any major points of interest and of course, to let us know their progress.

There will be an official photo-call and launch of the liveried vehicle at the Members Day on 7th February, The team will also be back at Brunty on Monday 23rd, for another Press call, whilst a possible trip to The Concorde Visitors Centre at Manchester Aeropark on Wednesday 25th is in the early stages of planning. Hopefully, to celebrate a successful time for the delta ladies!

This is just one of many ways the Club and Trust are working together during February and March, so do look out for more details as they are announced.

Above all, tell everyone about us, the plans that are in place and of course the very special aircraft that is - XH558. With YOUR HELP we can make the difference!

Please keep an eye on this thread for updates and on how you might be able to contribute….

Many thanks,
Ian.

Hope this helps folks
Image Image
MadNaddy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: psychobabble

Postby IanM » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

Since when has your name been Ian? :p
Ian

Image Image
IanM
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Postby MadNaddy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:11 pm

IanM wrote:Since when has your name been Ian? :p

(ahem)

<deep voice ON>

Since loads of people decided Ian was THE name to have

Unless you want a cool name of course :p :p :ymdevil:
:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
Image Image
MadNaddy

Also Known As: psychobabble

Postby Saracenman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:32 pm

twist that knife Naddy! =))

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby XH558 Press Office » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:24 am

URGENT PRESS RELEASE - LATEST NEWS FROM VULCAN XH558 – issued 30th January 2009

At the time of this press release, the ’09 Pledge Fund Scheme to raise £1million is coming to £250,000, which, in the harsh economic climate, is staggering in the 8 weeks it has been active.

Thankfully, due to the continued support of sponsors & supporters, it has been possible to extend the deadline of the Pledge scheme to the end of February, in the hope a wide spread publicity campaign will save her.

It is continued promotion, not only to the Aviation community, but to the wider public beyond, that will be key to our success in reaching the £1million goal in such a short period of time.

The Vulcan to the Sky Club is therefore pleased to announce: The
24 hour Vulcan Scramble! – a race against time to save XH558

Taking place on Sunday 22nd February, father and son club members, Robert & Steven Lowe, from Newark on Trent, who conceived this idea, will be joined by Crew Chief Taff Stone, in one of the Vulcan to The Sky Teams’ Subaru 4x4 vehicles. The club is providing 100% logistical and promotional support.

Starting in East Fortune with XM597 at 00.01 hours, the team will travel the length and breadth of the country, visiting all 15 existing Vulcan Airframes – hopefully within a 24 hour period.

They will be joined on different legs by surprise guests and staged events to encourage them on their way.

Fellow club members will be acting as coordinators at each location, liaising with the museums involved, creating a presence on the day to welcome the team, as they stop by to change drivers, snap a picture and carry on with their challenge. Supporters will help explain the event and our plight to all the visitors, backed up with promotional posters and leaflets explaining the Pledge fund and the many ways people can help save the aircraft.

With 850+ miles to cover, 18 hour 50 minutes journey time, it only leaves 15 minutes spare at each location – and that does not allow for traffic. At all times, speed limits will be observed. It is the challenge and raising of public interest in XH558 that most appeals to the team.

All locations have expressed fantastic support for this initiative and we would like to thank them for their encouragement and invaluable help, not only in the planning stage, but in the operation of this event.

A dedicated page explaining the challenge and giving full details will be available soon off the main
website http://www.vulcantothesky.com Here, the time remaining, progress details and pledges or donations received, will be updated for all to see, together with links to partake in sponsoring of the event.

On the day, a central control room at Bruntingthorpe, “Scramble HQ” will track the team and give updated details as they progress along the route. Staff there will process Pledges collected en-route and enter onto the on-line system. You will be able to watch the progress of this event, add additional sponsorship or pledges and see the results as they happen. Official collecting tins and any donations received on the day will be added to the running total.

By the early hours of Monday 23rd February, the club aim to have not only raised a significant level of interest, but a not too insignificant level of further funding! (Message Ends)

Look out for more details of this event on the official VULCAN TO THE SKY WebPages soon:

XH558 is the only airworthy Vulcan in the world. Restored to flight after nearly 15 years at a cost of £7million. She now faces grounding forever, unless an additional £750,000 can be raised in February enabling funds for another full air show season. Last year, she appeared in front of over 1.5 million people.
She inspires immense pride in all who see her. A full education programme is built around her, not only telling the story of the cold war era, but the value of science and technology in inspiring future engineers.
She was the “mother of concorde” - Can you help us save this ICONIC BRITISH AIRCRAFT?

Any Press or Media wishing more information should contact: Richard Clarke - 07714 898548
For Sponsorship Opportunities please contact: Michael Trotter – 07803 141483
XH558 Press Office
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Trolley » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:51 am

MadNaddy wrote:
IanM wrote:Since when has your name been Ian? :p

(ahem)

<deep voice ON>

Since loads of people decided Ian was THE name to have

Unless you want a cool name of course :p :p :ymdevil:
:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Well, I say, this is somewhat of a hobby of mine. The origins of the name Ian come from Scotland, Iain.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ion, Lonn, Lone, Lonne, Lyonm, Lyonne and others.
First found in Cambridgeshire, they were seated from the very early times.

Some of the first setters in the United States of America of this family name or some of its variants were: John Ion, who sailed to Philadelphia in 1819. By the latter half of the 19th century the family had immigrated to Canada, where John Ian was registered in Ontario in 1865.

Ian Coat of Arms

A proud name indeed.
Darling of the Tory Right
Trolley
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Vulcan 24 hour scramble this sunday.

Postby Dangerousdave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:17 pm

Anyone heard about this? lol

I phoned several local papers and radio stations to see if they knew about it and were covering it. One said 'Oh have they managed to get it flying now then?' and another said 'I haven't heard anything about the scramble'.

So I pursuaded them it is worth going along with photographers and reporters etc and asked them to publicise it cos we need £1 million by the end of the month.

Hopefully they will publicise it. I have also spoken to my mate on the tvoc team and asked whether some tvoc representatives can perhaps go to some museums with merchandise to flog as well as handing out membership forms and have statemements prepared to hand to the press for publication.

I phoned tvoc earleir today and got an answerphone message saying it was February the 5th and no-one is in the office at the minute due to the snow!

It may be me being picky here, but I would have thought 36 hours before such a publicity stunt to raise money that is so desperately needed, it would be adviseable for people to answer the phones, even if they have to be diverted to a mobile. I gave the website address for tvoc and also the phone number to all the papers and radio stations I spoke to, but I am guessing no-one bothered to be by the phones at this crucial time.

No disrespect to the engineers, volunteers etc, but having the press ringing the press office number to be told that the date is 15 days ago is not the wisest move in the world?

Anyway, rant over. I am going to Newark to see the crew on Sunday afternoon if anyone else is going and wants to say Hi. I don't know who is going from TVOC or any special guests that are going to be at any locations. Is DT and Mrs DT putting in an appearence anywhere, or Martin Withers, Barry Masefield etc does anyone know?
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Re: Vulcan 24 hour scramble this sunday.

Postby Saracenman » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:22 pm

already covered DD - here

perhaps Bunny Hop might merge these two please?

disgraceful re the TVOC office - but alas, nothing surprises me any more! X(

thank god that many of us are working damned hard to save their skins again!

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Mayfly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:29 pm

DT is doing Waddington, Martin is covering EMA then following the scramble car to Newark & Waddo, Kev Rumans Newark, Barry Norwich, Mike Pollitt Wellesbourne not sure if any other aircrew are involved

BBC North is also going to Waddington as hopefully is BBC radio Lincolnshire & possibly Lincs FM
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Gully » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Trust-wise, Andrew Edmonson and Miriam Tong will be at Cosford in the morning before returning to Brunty.

Robert Pleming is going to be at Hendon from around 1.00pm onwards.

Gully
Aircraft - The Greatest Gigs in the Sky!
Gully

Postby Stevieboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:23 pm

Don't forget I'll be at Duxford and if you're lucky I may show my knees. :p :p
That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college!
Stevieboy

Also Known As: Stephen Smith

Postby Gully » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:11 pm

Stevieboy wrote:Don't forget I'll be at Duxford and if you're lucky I may show my knees. :p :p

People may pledge just so you don't show them! Good ploy I reckon! :))

Gully
Aircraft - The Greatest Gigs in the Sky!
Gully

Postby Dangerousdave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Mayfly wrote:DT is doing Waddington, Martin is covering EMA then following the scramble car to Newark & Waddo, Kev Rumans Newark, Barry Norwich, Mike Pollitt Wellesbourne not sure if any other aircrew are involved

BBC North is also going to Waddington as hopefully is BBC radio Lincolnshire & possibly Lincs FM

I called Lincs FM today and also bbc radio so hopefully one of them should be there. I also talked to someone at Lincolnshire Echo too and suggested it might be a good idea to go there.
For Newark Air Museum I tipped off Nottingham evening post and also Newarks new radio station Boundry sound as well.
BBC radio said they may also look at Waddo or EMA as well as it comes under BBC Midlands now. I'll take my camera for a photo with me and Martin then.
So DT can't be pursuaded to pop over to Newark then cos I want to have my pic taken with him (in true plane spotter style)?

Maybe I should have a word with his wife! ;)
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Postby XH558 Press Office » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:18 am

Vulcan XH558 is in danger, unless we can raise £500,000 to save the project before 6th March.

This weekend sees:
The 24 hour Vulcan Scramble!
15 Vulcan Locations - 880 miles in 24 hours – 3men in 1 Car!

Please pledge to support their efforts and help us see XH558 airworthy for the 2009 Display season. see: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/scramble for updates on the day

Full route details are here: http://tinyurl.com/Vulcan-Scramble

Also:
You can take part in our PLEDGATHON Weekend 28th February/ 1st March or anytime before by downloading a pledge form and distributing amongst your Family, Friends and Work colleagues.

See: http://www.underthefloor.co.uk/558/PledgathonForm.pdf

We will be grateful for any support you can offer. Thank you.

http://www.vulcantothesky.com
XH558 Press Office
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby IanM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:16 am

Ahem, ladies and gents of the late night internet forum...

31 MINUTES TO GO!!!!

AND THEY'RE OFF!!
Ian

Image Image
IanM

Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Postby Wedgy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:03 am

For those not on twitter ....

XH558 Hello from cosford
40 minutes ago from txt

XH558 Woodford on time
about 2 hours ago from txt

XH558 Another good turnout at carlisle still on time
about 5 hours ago from txt

XH558 Safely at sunderland ahead of time
about 7 hours ago from txt

XH558 Scramble scramble scramble we are on our way
about 9 hours ago from txt
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby Mayfly » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:31 am

for the latest scramble info if you not on twitter [like me]

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4993&whichpage=2
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby MrTim » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:56 am

You only need check here for Twitter updates:-

http://twitter.com/XH558

;)
MrTim
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Also Known As: Eduard von Foodmixer

Postby Wedgy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:49 pm

I wish I could be at a location, but the SW doesn't figure. Heading down the M4 later, so RAF Museum, Hendon is a possibility, but would have a 4 hour wait and wouldn't get home until gone midnight on a school night :(

Keep it up guys!! :D

edit: I have put RAF Museum, Hendon into my sat nav .... just in case. If anyone with my mobile number hears the eta has been moved forward - I would really appreciate a text ;)
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Return to Anything Vulcan