558 news updates

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Dan4th » Fri May 20, 2011 10:11 pm

We all know and have known for a L-O-N-G
time what the problem is.

There are actually TWO problems, one of
which PROMISED to be GONE quite a while
ago.

Major Sponsors will not emerge until the
above-named persons are (...uh) absent.

They know this, but continue and refuse to
accept responsibility.

I've had it!

Heads ought to have rolled YEARS ago, but
they Never Did!

Nor will they now, unfortunately..........

At least they're not saying the aircraft is
going to be sold-off to America any longer.

That always made me BRISTLE!

Come On CLUB!

DO what you KNOW You Can DO!

Think I'm right, RLN?????????????

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: 558 news updates

Postby RLN » Fri May 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Finger and pulse come to mind ;)
User avatar
RLN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15709
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Dan4th wrote:We all know and have known for a L-O-N-G
time what the problem is.

There are actually TWO problems, one of
which PROMISED to be GONE quite a while
ago.

Major Sponsors will not emerge until the
above-named persons are (...uh) absent.

They know this, but continue and refuse to
accept responsibility.

I've had it!

Heads ought to have rolled YEARS ago, but
they Never Did!

Nor will they now, unfortunately..........

At least they're not saying the aircraft is
going to be sold-off to America any longer.


That always made me BRISTLE!

Come On CLUB!

DO what you KNOW You Can DO!

Think I'm right, RLN?????????????

Dan4th



NOT yet! ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x(
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Amanda_h » Fri May 20, 2011 10:47 pm

I would have thought that the Heritage Lottery Fund would have something to say about the aircraft being sold abroad!
User avatar
Amanda_h
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Amanda_h wrote:I would have thought that the Heritage Lottery Fund would have something to say about the aircraft being sold abroad!




Amanda, that was a threat used many times in the past! ;)
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Minty4371 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Donations at 5pm on Wednesday 18th May stood at £178,520. 51% of overall total.
Donations at 5pm on Friday 20th May stands at £182,563. 52% of overall total.
Next update will be on Monday 23rd May.
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Locomotive Trust
User avatar
Minty4371
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Sutton Bridge, nr Spalding, Lincolnshire

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Dan4th » Fri May 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Amanda, the aircraft Never Was going to be
sold abroad.

It was only this little threat they have always
made in order to get people to give.

As an American, I can't conceive of Vulcan
being sold to some "Rich Murkin".

558 is only an Icon in YOUR country.

I bristled because it was a LIE!

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Bristle on! :D
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Dan4th » Fri May 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Xplumberlives wrote:Bristle on! :D


And I shall!

This whole situation was and has been
Totally Avoidable!

Pax Vobiscum..........

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 11:38 pm

And with you!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Amanda_h » Sat May 21, 2011 12:03 am

Hi Dan,

One of their threats eh!

I just looked up Murkin - Yuk!!

I agree though the whole thing is annoying and it looks like they've cried wolf once too often!

Like others I feel sorry for the maintenance guys.

Ah well, as the old song says "Whatever will be will be"!

I see Minty is part of the 82045 group, I've got shares in 5164 and 46443!
User avatar
Amanda_h
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Dan4th » Sat May 21, 2011 12:16 am

I just want to see that God-Damned
Aircraft in the SKY doing what she
was meant to be doing!

Is this too much to ask?

EYE don't THINK so!

If 558 is glued to the ground, you may be
certain there will be a pricetag attached
to get her back up where she belongs.

Question is, what percentage will be going
to those who claim to be in charge?

"Oh! We can't POSSIBLY keep her flying
unless my SALARY is paid!"

And I am NOT talking about the hands-on
people.

Think about it for a minute, now.........

And Amanda, I just saw your post......

It isn't over yet!

And I think you saw "Mirkin" not Murkin....

It was Lyndon B. Johnson's way of saying "American".

D.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Mags » Sat May 21, 2011 12:18 am

Mayfly wrote:Mags do you mean Leuchars airshow made a £40K loss?



No - VTS made a £40K loss according to Dr Bob at the AGM last Sunday - sorry for confusion :(

HH - no idea what the figures were for the airshow as a whole but it was in some respects a shambles with the weather flooding one of the park n rides..................

Edited for schpeeling :D
User avatar
Mags
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Dan4th » Sat May 21, 2011 12:22 am

Mags wrote:
Mayfly wrote:Mags do you mean Leuchars airshow made a £40K loss?



No - VTS made a £40K loss according to Dr Bob at the AGM last Sunday - sorry for confusion :(

HH - no idea what the figures were for the airshow as a whole but it was in some respects a shambles with the weather flooding one of the park n rides..................

Edited for schpeeling :D


:)) =)) :)) =)) :)) =)) :)) =))
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Amanda_h » Sat May 21, 2011 12:35 am

I was going to comment on the Salary issue!

Mags - More a case of park and float!!
User avatar
Amanda_h
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat May 21, 2011 7:35 am

A right BUGGERS MUDDLE!!!!!!!!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Mayfly » Sat May 21, 2011 8:29 am

Mags wrote:
Mayfly wrote:Mags do you mean Leuchars airshow made a £40K loss?



No - VTS made a £40K loss according to Dr Bob at the AGM last Sunday - sorry for confusion :(

HH - no idea what the figures were for the airshow as a whole but it was in some respects a shambles with the weather flooding one of the park n rides..................

Edited for schpeeling :D



I don't understand - I know it doesn't take much :)) and finances are not my strong point, [ask DT :p ] - but how do you make a loss, when you don't earn anything? I assume what they mean is they were £40K short in donations to cover expenses? Well if that is what they mean then I think out of raising a figure approaching £2M that is bloody good.

I know the arguments and to be honest we have been here many many times, covering old ground won't change anything - my understanding is 558 has not got that much longer as it is, unless they can raise enough money to do the next MOD to increase the FI.

Things are better now that ever for 558 with a much greater potential to earn her keep, and that is what I think is an important factor in raising the extra cash needed to keep her flying, if she is to fall at what I will describe as the final hurdle that will be very sad.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29720
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat May 21, 2011 8:34 am

Mayfly wrote:
Mags wrote:
Mayfly wrote:Mags do you mean Leuchars airshow made a £40K loss?



No - VTS made a £40K loss according to Dr Bob at the AGM last Sunday - sorry for confusion :(

HH - no idea what the figures were for the airshow as a whole but it was in some respects a shambles with the weather flooding one of the park n rides..................

Edited for schpeeling :D



I don't understand - I know it doesn't take much :)) and finances are not my strong point, [ask DT :p ] - but how do you make a loss, when you don't earn anything? I assume what they mean is they were £40K short in donations to cover expenses? Well if that is what they mean then I think out of raising a figure approaching £2M that is bloody good.

I know the arguments and to be honest we have been here many many times, covering old ground won't change anything - my understanding is 558 has not got that much longer as it is, unless they can raise enough money to do the next MOD to increase the FI.

Things are better now that ever for 558 with a much greater potential to earn her keep, and that is what I think is an important factor in raising the extra cash needed to keep her flying, if she is to fall at what I will describe as the final hurdle that will be very sad.




Then I fear NOTHING will change and she is DOOMED!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: 558 news updates

Postby LightningMk6 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:45 am

I have lots of regard for the engineers and crew, but as for the cost of keeping her flying, that is another matter. I think the donations made will never be enough to cover costs and unfortunately it is inevitable that 558 will eventually end up as many other iconic aircraft and at least provide fast taxi runs rather than just be a static display. Just my opinion.
if it's working, leave well alone
User avatar
LightningMk6
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: Louth Lincs

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat May 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Soon be back at BRUNTINGTHORPE then!!!!!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Hungry Haggis » Sat May 21, 2011 8:14 pm

I no longer comment on TVOC inadequacies or otherwise ( I bet someone says thats splat wrong ) =)) .I have not seen the usual threat to Taff & the crews long term employment prospects looking after 558 I don't want to as has been said in support of the ground crew and also the flight crews they do a fantastic job and as long as they are allowed I imagine they will continue to do so .What sticks in my throat is all the last minute stuff like she won't fly no More unless X or Y is reached we all know this so why repeat it all the time like a stuck record .Revenue streams coming later in the year ain't no good to 558 & people as is being seen now are fed up with the constant threats of she will be sold abroad or grounded forever,people are having to tighten their own finances due to rising costs etc .This has also been battered to death in several places they need to widen their field of fund raising and publicity .to the WHOLE country not just a small part of it Sorry TVOC but you need to spend money to make it/get donations .OH that has also been said plenty in the past as well.558s flying life is coming to an end one day "I've" heard years from 2012 2014 and 2015 in the past But boy are they making heavy weather of it getting there .All I see regardless of how many posts thread titles topics etc is the Vulcan's in trouble financially again we have left it to the last minute to screw you all over please empty your wallet here just so we can do it all again in 6,8,10 or 12 months .This has also been said before there was supposed to be a concrete plan to stop this happening all the time.LEOPARD & NOT changing spots comes to mind .

Rant over back to sleep on this subject :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH:
http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/s ... ancer.aspx . 2018 is not my favourite year at all
User avatar
Hungry Haggis
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:10 pm

Re: 558 news updates

Postby RLN » Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Good man HH :ymapplause:
User avatar
RLN
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15709
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Dan4th » Sat May 21, 2011 9:31 pm

HH:

I have great faith in your intuition and
greater faith in your opinions.

Thanks for that post!

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: 558 news updates

Postby PhantomAviator » Sun May 22, 2011 9:57 am

Hungry Haggis wrote:I no longer comment on TVOC inadequacies or otherwise ( I bet someone says thats splat wrong ) =)) .I have not seen the usual threat to Taff & the crews long term employment prospects looking after 558 I don't want to as has been said in support of the ground crew and also the flight crews they do a fantastic job and as long as they are allowed I imagine they will continue to do so .What sticks in my throat is all the last minute stuff like she won't fly no More unless X or Y is reached we all know this so why repeat it all the time like a stuck record .Revenue streams coming later in the year ain't no good to 558 & people as is being seen now are fed up with the constant threats of she will be sold abroad or grounded forever,people are having to tighten their own finances due to rising costs etc .This has also been battered to death in several places they need to widen their field of fund raising and publicity .to the WHOLE country not just a small part of it Sorry TVOC but you need to spend money to make it/get donations .OH that has also been said plenty in the past as well.558s flying life is coming to an end one day "I've" heard years from 2012 2014 and 2015 in the past But boy are they making heavy weather of it getting there .All I see regardless of how many posts thread titles topics etc is the Vulcan's in trouble financially again we have left it to the last minute to screw you all over please empty your wallet here just so we can do it all again in 6,8,10 or 12 months .This has also been said before there was supposed to be a concrete plan to stop this happening all the time.LEOPARD & NOT changing spots comes to mind .

Rant over back to sleep on this subject :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH:




Fully agree HH.
I work in the Aerospace Industry, the company I work for has just announced redundancies, but bless them they are going to create several posts for which those being made redundant can apply for.
The new posts 'Management' the redundant posts, 'Floor Workers'.
It is time that VTTS realised that they can make as many floor redundant and keep as many Sit on Ar*e people as they like the situation will get worse.
But if they were to get rid of the high paid Sit on Ar*e people then allow the Floor people to be dual traded, that the situation may improve greatly.
But as we know there was only one Sit on Ar*e who would get his hands dirty by hands on work.

Sorry from now on my pockets are definately empty until they stop the high wages of Sit on Ar*e.

Keep the Engineers thay have and make them dual rolled they could probably do a better job.
My rant over.
User avatar
PhantomAviator
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:00 pm
Location: Leicestershire

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Sploosher » Sun May 22, 2011 4:03 pm

PhantomAviator wrote:
Hungry Haggis wrote:I no longer comment on TVOC inadequacies or otherwise ( I bet someone says thats splat wrong ) =)) .I have not seen the usual threat to Taff & the crews long term employment prospects looking after 558 I don't want to as has been said in support of the ground crew and also the flight crews they do a fantastic job and as long as they are allowed I imagine they will continue to do so .What sticks in my throat is all the last minute stuff like she won't fly no More unless X or Y is reached we all know this so why repeat it all the time like a stuck record .Revenue streams coming later in the year ain't no good to 558 & people as is being seen now are fed up with the constant threats of she will be sold abroad or grounded forever,people are having to tighten their own finances due to rising costs etc .This has also been battered to death in several places they need to widen their field of fund raising and publicity .to the WHOLE country not just a small part of it Sorry TVOC but you need to spend money to make it/get donations .OH that has also been said plenty in the past as well.558s flying life is coming to an end one day "I've" heard years from 2012 2014 and 2015 in the past But boy are they making heavy weather of it getting there .All I see regardless of how many posts thread titles topics etc is the Vulcan's in trouble financially again we have left it to the last minute to screw you all over please empty your wallet here just so we can do it all again in 6,8,10 or 12 months .This has also been said before there was supposed to be a concrete plan to stop this happening all the time.LEOPARD & NOT changing spots comes to mind .

Rant over back to sleep on this subject :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH: :YMSIGH:




Fully agree HH.
I work in the Aerospace Industry, the company I work for has just announced redundancies, but bless them they are going to create several posts for which those being made redundant can apply for.
The new posts 'Management' the redundant posts, 'Floor Workers'.
It is time that VTTS realised that they can make as many floor redundant and keep as many Sit on Ar*e people as they like the situation will get worse.
But if they were to get rid of the high paid Sit on Ar*e people then allow the Floor people to be dual traded, that the situation may improve greatly.
But as we know there was only one Sit on Ar*e who would get his hands dirty by hands on work.

Sorry from now on my pockets are definately empty until they stop the high wages of Sit on Ar*e.

Keep the Engineers thay have and make them dual rolled they could probably do a better job.
My rant over.


Asking the engineers to do a better job...................... :-o :-o X( X(

After spending 3 days at RHA and chatting with one of the best bunch of people,( 558`s engineers)I have ever met, I would like to say that there is no way they could do a better job than they are doing now, we have what must be the best that there is, and there is no way thay they will shirk there duties etc, to risk losing a flightworthy 558..... :ymapplause: :ymapplause: \:D/ \:D/

If you think you know people who are capable of doing a better job then I am sure they would like to meet them...... :D

Thas my rant over.................... ;)

Next rant please.......... :))
User avatar
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:31 pm
Also Known As: jangor

PreviousNext

Return to Anything Vulcan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests