558 news updates

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

558 news updates

Postby Mayfly » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:44 pm

For those who don't for whatever reason get the weekly emails ...

3rd Dec 10

The Engineering Team have spent the last few weeks down at Lyneham, inspecting XH558 after her successful 2010 display season and planning the winter service.
On December 7th she will be rolled-out of her hangar and taken to the engine test stands for an 'engine ground run'. Sitting in the cockpit will be the winner of the auction held on the website and we'll be offering other experiences after Christmas so that more people can get to grips with the last of the great all-British four-engined jets and help to keep her flying. We'll have a more detailed service update in the next newsletter and let you know what Taff and his team found when they took the covers off the engines!

£5,000 raised for Aerobility

Following hot on the heels of our support for Children In Need, which raised £20,000, Vulcan XH558 has raised £5,000 to help disabled and profoundly ill children and adults share the joy of flying light aircraft. We've had a mutually-beneficial relationship with Aerobility (previously the British Disabled Flying Association) for some time and help each other with contacts and events. Saturday was their big fund-raising night, so we donated an opportunity for one individual to win a ride in XH558 as she taxis along the runway. The prize was auctioned and we were delighted as two passionate enthusiasts battled to win this fabulous experience.

A prize like this costs the Trust very little as the aircraft will be moving anyway, but it provides something very special for enthusiasts. "With tough CAA regulations and the military security restrictions at her current home, it really is an incredibly rare opportunity" says chief executive Robert Pleming. "We are delighted to help Aerobility give so much pleasure and potentially new careers and lives to so many people"

1. Latest News
ALL THE LATEST VULCAN NEWS
2. Video Report
See XH558 as she appeared at the Coventry "Help for Heroes" event
3. See XH558 in formation with the Red Arrows
SEE WHAT HAPPENED IN JERSEY!
4. Wish XH558 a Happy Birthday
ADD YOUR NAME AND GREETING
5. Give your support in many easy ways
HELP KEEP THE VULCAN FLYING
6. Swap news and chat
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
JOIN US ON TWITTER
7. Had this sent by a friend?
8. Join the Vulcan Club
TAKE PART IN REGIONAL ACTIVITIES, AND HELP PROMOTE VULCAN XH558

Seasonal weather halts Lincoln Victorian Christmas Market

In the last issue we said that we would have a merchandise and promotional stall at the hugely popular Lincoln Victorian Christmas Market, from Thursday December 2nd to Sunday December 5th. Unfortunately, we were told earlier this week that the market has been postponed due to the huge amount of snow in the region.
It's a sad loss – a great opportunity to meet people and spread the word about XH558 – and of course another significant fundraising event that has been cancelled by poor weather. So if you were planning to visit us there, do please pop along to the website where the Merchandise page can solve so many of those tricky Christmas present problems.

Christmas Gifts now include new 2011 Vulcan diary

If you order by December 10th, our exclusive Vulcan gifts will arrive comfortably in-time for Christmas. You can save £10 on our set of four restoration DVDs that tell the incredible story of XH558's return to the sky, there are desktop models, books, our famous Vulcan calendar... something for everyone, so come and explore the shop here »
Use the side bar to navigate, or the search box to find the items you need. If Santa is reading this, remember that children (and adults) love the Vulcan Flyer and it's only £1 (plus P&P). It's our most popular item and of such high entertainment value that even our brave airmen in Afghanistan fly them around the compound. For the truly passionate child (or airman), we have the incredible 'inflatable Vulcan' at just £4.99.

Why not spread some Christmas cheer for XH558?

What XH558 really needs during the long cold winter months, is regular income, so why not spread some early Christmas cheer by taking out a small standing order that will help to keep her flying through 2011.

Spread Vulcan Happiness at Christmas to Family & Friends Worldwide

Remember you can support XH558 by sending cards for any occasion using Charitecards and selecting Vulcan to the Sky Trust as your charity. You can go straight to our page here »

With best wishes from the Vulcan team
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Re: 558 news updates

Postby Jigsaw » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks Pam :)
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I stopped posting these as there were very little in the way of updates and became merchandising ads in the main. However this is not good news tho' it isn't unexpected from the way things have been going...

The latest missive from Dr Bob.

Dear Supporters and members of the public,

In light of the significant shortfall in the current funding appeal closing at the end of this month, I write to inform you that following discussions this week with the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Trust, I have been asked to convene a meeting of the Board of Trustees for Wednesday 25th May. At that meeting, the Board will review the financial standing and forecasts of the Trust and agree the options available to us.

I am delighted with the progress made in recent months towards securing a much brighter financial future for XH558 at Robin Hood Airport.

However, we are currently paying out rather more money each month than we are receiving. With the current appeal stalled, the cash reserves raised in this and previous appeals have dropped to a level which will sustain our operation for just a few more weeks. As the result, the Board are obliged by law to discuss and agree the way forward.

XH558 has now flown for three-and-a-half more years than anyone ever expected, through the sheer hard work and determination of many, the support of key companies, but above all, with the many thousands of kind individual donations from you – the members of the public.

As the custodians of XH558, the Board will reach the best decisions for her long-term future, but the need to conserve cash now casts doubts about her current flying plans, and the costs of keeping her airworthy.

We continue to put all our resources, and those of the Board, into seeking solutions. Specifically, we are searching for "White Knights" who could bridge the financial gap we see until the new revenue streams at Robin Hood commence in the autumn.

We will write again next week, detailing the conclusions of the Board meeting and the decisions made as a result.

Yours sincerely,
Robert Pleming
Chief Executive

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Dee » Fri May 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Here we go again, all doom and gloom :( It really depresses me that no big sponsor has ever come forward to help us 'little people'. I guess the staff will all receive their notice again!? I don't know it just seems so unfair that its one long struggle all the time :(( X( ~x(
Dee
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Sooty655 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Well, it isn't unexpected. Only half the supposedly required cash raised and only 10 days to go to the supposed deadline.

Question is ~ will the Trustees ever be willing to admit it's time to pull the plug?
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Mayfly » Fri May 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Only when legally the financial situation forces them too I suspect - and tbh I can understand that - once she's grounded she's gone for ever!!

Mayfly

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Perhaps Dr Bob could resign and then the money would flood in! :-o
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Dee » Fri May 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Was going to have a right blast off but decided against it, not good for my moral! X( ~x( :((
Dee

Postby Amanda_h » Fri May 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi,

I wondered when this message would appear, if it is grounded it would be nice to see it back at it's old home if it's never going to fly again.

Anyway roll on 26th June - something to look forward to!

Amanda
Amanda_h
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Sooty655 wrote:Well, it isn't unexpected. Only half the supposedly required cash raised and only 10 days to go to the supposed deadline.

Question is ~ will the Trustees ever be willing to admit it's time to pull the plug?

I thought they were LEGALLY bound to!
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Postby Crew chief » Fri May 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi all.

Isn't ironic that in the past the aircrafts been in bits and they put out an appeal and get the money needed.
Now they have a serviceable aeroplane but no money.Is it me or is there something wrong somewhere ?.
Perhaps they should take it to bits and try again.

cc.
I only do it with a long lead.
Crew chief
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Mayfly » Fri May 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Hmmmm NOT Vulcan linked but very ironic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13452615

Mayfly

Postby Dee » Fri May 20, 2011 4:56 pm

X(
Dee

Postby Sooty655 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:03 pm

Mayfly wrote:Hmmmm NOT Vulcan linked but very ironic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13452615

It is indeed ironic, but the difference is that it won't have a £2,000,000 annual running cost.

Airbus are only offering a one-off contribution. 558 needs a sponsor to offer more than that EVERY year.
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Crew chief wrote:Hi all.

Isn't ironic that in the past the aircrafts been in bits and they put out an appeal and get the money needed.
Now they have a serviceable aeroplane but no money.Is it me or is there something wrong somewhere ?.Perhaps they should take it to bits and try again.

cc.

YES!
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Postby Dan4th » Fri May 20, 2011 5:32 pm

I'll only say that it has been known for a long
while that the way in which 558 is managed
and operated is NOT conducive to a major
sponsorship.

And, NO, I Don't mean it's because she can't
(and shouldn't) be painted-up like a giant
candybar!

I also have nothing but admiration for those
who do the hands-on maintenance and the
actual flying and the club members who toil
endlessly to bring-in financial support.

As before, I believe it is up to the CLUB to
step forward and use the power they've had
all along.

The real reasons lie elsewhere, and that's the
end of my comments.

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby Mags » Fri May 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I get the feeling there's a bit of a loss of momentum for fundraising even amoungst the forum on VTS compared to previous appeals. I'm finding it hard to do much up this neck of the woods given that we don't even know if we'll still have a major airshow north of the border.......and if Leuchars survives long enough - well 558 may visit but won't be doing sleep over by the sound of what was said at the AGM - last year a £40K loss - is that us Fifers living up to our bad name!
Mags

Postby Mayfly » Fri May 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Mags do you mean Leuchars airshow made a £40K loss?

Mayfly

Postby Hungry Haggis » Fri May 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Mayfly wrote:Mags do you mean Leuchars airshow made a £40K loss?

That wouldn't really surprise me As if i remember rightly crowd numbers were down a fair amount can't remember exactly but did hear that it could have been only 40000 when previous shows have had 50+ .Can't see it being 558 losing that much unless taken over the entire year and not hitting targets because of rising costs .Don't know really ,it's reading that email that leaves me feeling more than a bit flat & hoping thats a joke .
http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/s ... ancer.aspx . 2018 is not my favourite year at all
Hungry Haggis

Postby Kermit » Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 pm

As regards Leuchars, the Belgian Air Force is listing it as a firm booking for their F.16
As for the 558 newsletter, pretty depressing indeed. The appeal just doesnt seem to have any momentum. Fingers crossed, maybe it ll get people going. Certainly hope so, to lose 558 now just as some sort of future is taking shape would be just too unfair :(
Kermit
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Also Known As: jocelyn

Postby RLN » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm

It's stalled because people are fed up with the "same old, same old". It's all a crying shame, really; and so frustrating for staff and supporters. As always i feel sorry for the engineers and support staff. Dragon's Den?
RLN

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 9:48 pm

RLN wrote:It's stalled because people are fed up with the "same old, same old". It's all a crying shame, really; and so frustrating for staff and supporters. As always i feel sorry for the engineers and support staff. Dragon's Den?

I echo you feelings,but as ever they will not be really appreciated until it has bitten the dust!

Such a shame!
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Postby Dan4th » Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm

There is something I want to say, but
as a Slimey Murkin, I can't bring myself
to say it!

Plus, I also said I'd said all I would!

It's Not My Job!

Dan4th
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby RLN » Fri May 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Mr D - say what you like -this is a free forum.
RLN

Postby Xplumberlives » Fri May 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Get it off your chest!
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Next

Return to Anything Vulcan