Vulcan crash 1958

Discussions on XM655, XH558, XM607, XL426 or any other preserved aircraft

Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Spitfire » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Blimey - has any one ever seen this :-o :-o :-o

The right wing just completely disintegrates - Poor devils didn't stand a chance - didn't see a bang seat :(

User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Xplumberlives » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Yes, I used to fly from Syerston!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Mayfly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I believe at some point the A/C had been flown beyond limits :(
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29724
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Dougs » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:08 pm

there is also a report that the b1 prototypes had a weakness in the leading edge which the RAF knew about and inspected after aerobatics however Rolls Royce were not informed and could have been flying in a damaged state before it did the flyby very sad :(
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Xplumberlives » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:27 pm

"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Spitfire » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:14 pm

That's incredible - what a disaster.... never heard about this before :ymblushing:
User avatar
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:06 am
Location: Hayle, SW Cornwall

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Xplumberlives » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Spitfire wrote:That's incredible - what a disaster.... never heard about this before :ymblushing:




That's because you live in the early part of the last century! ;)
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Sooty655 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:44 pm

This crash has been blamed on the pilot exceeding the airframe limits for IAS and g. The strongest statement to that effect is by Andrew Brookes in his book "Crash" published by Ian Allen. However, Tony Blackman isn't convinced, and says so in "Vulcan Test Pilot"

I have done quite a lot of research at the National Archive into the crash investigation, and what I have found (and not found) has a distinct smell of fish about it.

I need to do a bit more work on it, and then I will publish my results (on Iconic, of course), probably this coming Autumn.
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
User avatar
Sooty655
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 8822
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: Weedon, Northants

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Dee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:51 pm

Im not far from Syerston and only heard about the crash through trying to raise funds for 558. Since then ive seen and read about it, like you say they didnt stand a chance :(
User avatar
Dee
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: Between Newark and Mansfield

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Mayfly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:59 pm

Xplumberlives wrote:
Spitfire wrote:That's incredible - what a disaster.... never heard about this before :ymblushing:




That's because you live in the early part of the last century! ;)



and still get about by horse 'n cart :))

Sooty655 wrote:This crash has been blamed on the pilot exceeding the airframe limits for IAS and g. The strongest statement to that effect is by Andrew Brookes in his book "Crash" published by Ian Allen. However, Tony Blackman isn't convinced, and says so in "Vulcan Test Pilot"

I have done quite a lot of research at the National Archive into the crash investigation, and what I have found (and not found) has a distinct smell of fish about it.

I need to do a bit more work on it, and then I will publish my results (on Iconic, of course), probably this coming Autumn.


That will interesting Sooty will look forward to read that :)
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29724
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Jigsaw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Looking forward to it too.
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Image
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Mayfly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:05 pm

nothing new there then Jiggy!!! :))
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29724
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Jigsaw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:07 pm

The looking forward is the best bit ;) :p
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Image
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Mayfly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:10 pm

So I heard!! :p
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29724
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Jigsaw » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:05 pm

=)) =))
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Image
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Thumper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Terrible :( :( It looks similar to what happened to the F-117 at the airshow in America as in the wing just disintegrated. Was that the same thing, being flown beyond airframe limits?

{signature removed by admin}
User avatar
Thumper
Lockheed Constellation
Lockheed Constellation
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:10 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Sooty655 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Thumper wrote:Terrible :( :( It looks similar to what happened to the F-117 at the airshow in America as in the wing just disintegrated. Was that the same thing, being flown beyond airframe limits?

Ah well, that is the $64,000 question. That is certainly what "the powers that be" claimed was the explanation, but evidence is a bit harder to find.
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
User avatar
Sooty655
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 8822
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: Weedon, Northants

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Pujgnie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:34 pm

Love the way the commentator says '......... just get yerselves sumthing to eat' several times. (As if - this is a normal event at an Air Show)
Look Mummy.. there's an aeroplane up in the sky.....
User avatar
Pujgnie
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:35 pm
Location: Costa del Bournemouth

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:50 am

Pujgnie wrote:Love the way the commentator says '......... just get yerselves sumthing to eat' several times. (As if - this is a normal event at an Air Show)




It is an AMERICAN Airshow!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Stigish » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:33 pm

:-o The pilot stayed in right until the very last min, but he was lucky. That Vulcan crash must have been horrific for all there that day.
Image
The mighty Reds!
User avatar
Stigish
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Within earshot of Bournemouth Airport!
Also Known As: stuart.corby

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Thumper » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:25 am

I can't find it but there is another American airshow crash video somewhere on youtube that I have seen and the commentator says "It's OK folks, stay where you are, this is completely normal and we'll continue the programme in a moment" :-o

It was a warbird I think and went down hard and exploded. Clearly the pilot had died :(

All I can say though is perhaps reacting that way is good as it might not cause a big panic and crush.
{signature removed by admin}
User avatar
Thumper
Lockheed Constellation
Lockheed Constellation
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:10 pm
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Jason_osmer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:40 pm

Regarding: 1958 Syerston VX770 Avro Vulcan crash
Hello
I’m currently studying engineering with the Open University with the aim of joining the RAF as an engineering officer. For my final dissertation/project I am doing an investigation into the structural failure of VX770 Avro Vulcan at RAF Syerston.
I contacted the national archive to try and get a copy of the official incident report and received the following reply;
“Unfortunately, we are unable to provide at present because the documents you requested are in use........ You may wish to submit a new request in the future; we would recommend waiting at least 1 month for the document to be returned.”
Having read some of the comments on this forum it seems that getting a copy of the report may not be as simple as that.
Has anyone made any progress with their investigations?
I have just joined the forum and I’m unfamiliar with its workings could someone please tell me how to private message/ get in contact with:Sooty655
Thanks
Jason_osmer
User avatar
Jason_osmer
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Re: Vulcan crash 1958

Postby Ray C » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Send him a private message....
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
User avatar
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2602
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:31 pm
Location: Almost in sight of the Vulcan birthplace
Also Known As: Castle boy


Return to Anything Vulcan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests