A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Forum rules
One thread per aircraft/project please.

A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:56 am

Having been part of the Victor team at Elvington for a good few years, I have now embarked on a restoration project of my own for the Yorkshire Air Museum, Meteor NF(T).14 WS788.
The aircraft was built at Bagington, Coventry, in February 1954. In July 1954, it was issued to 152 Squadron at Wattisham. It served with the No.2 Air Navigation School at Thorney Island and later at No.1 School at Stradishall, where it was damaged in an accident. In January 1966, it was allocated for ground instructional use.
In September 1969, WS788 was moved to Patrington Radar Station on Spurn Head, East Yorkshire, as a static display aircraft. When Patrington closed, it was moved to Leeming, North Yorkshire, to be the Station Gate Guard. It was brought to Elvington in 1991 and has been displayed there in 152 Squadron colours ever since.
24 years after her arrival at YAM, 788 is well overdue some TLC. Her outer wings were removed to get her indoors and some work was done on her over summer by volunteers and French engineering students, but this work has now trickled to a halt and the aircraft moved to the far corner of the museum site. She now sits in a corner, looking sad, but at least she has her surprisingly complete cockpit covered over and protected from the elements.
I have been keen to adopt this aircraft for a while now, and having left the Victor for the foreseeable future, I have the opportunity to really get to grips with this classic jet. OK, I know it doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of most of the 50's/60's classics, in fact many say it's downright ugly, but I think it has a certain appeal and certainly deserves to be restored. I admit it, I love the NF Meteors. There, I've said it now.
So, what's the plan? I hear you say. Rub back the old paint, which in places is that thick I think it was applied with a yardbrush! Sort any corrosion found, then apply a shiny new colour scheme. In addition, I'm looking into the possibility of getting some of the electrical systems working for the first time since the late 60's. If I can get the external and cockpit lights working I'll be a happy bunny.
I was at the museum on Friday to meet with our aircraft manager and get the final 'green light' to carry on with my plan. Then I trekked over to the jet (which at the far side of the site is too far from the NAAFI for my liking!) to give it a look over and see just what I had let myself in for. As you can see from the above shot it's not all that encouraging at first glance! But there is certainly potential. She's far from a lost cause
The undersides of the wings around the airbrakes area are the worst bits of the jet so far, a legacy of years of East Coast weather I suspect

peering into the aircraft's inner structure was encouraging though. A bit of flaky paint and lots of muck, but nothing terrible and certainly little in the way of corrosion.
To try and discourage water collecting, and to encourage air to circulate and try to dry her out a bit, I removed the 2 rear lower wing fillet panels. After the tide went out I was pleasantly surprised by the health of the structure within
I decided while I was at it to undo the 2 bolts holding the flaps up and lower them, for the same reason. They are a tad stiff after so many years, but they deployed fine.

Sunday was to be the first working day proper. I decided that, bearing in mind I want to get power on the jet eventually, I had best take a look at what if anything remained in the battery bay for starters! While I was doing this Andy was attempting to remove the fasteners holding the wing leading edge on. Most of these are incorrect, and the leading edges need to come off anyway, so I thought he may as well crack on. After a lot of effort and cursing I got the battery bay door to come off, and it emerged blinking into the daylight for the first time in decades I suspect
The bay itself looked better than I anticipated too, with the battery leads in place still and even a couple of tools left for us courtesy of the RAF!
We decided to go eat at that point. After lunch we headed back to the jet via the Handley Page building, where we got stranded by a very sudden, very horrible shower!
When it cleared we made for the jet again, but made little headway before rain again stopped play. After sheltering miserably in the port gear bay for a while we called it a day
At least the rain turned the jet shiny again!
And now, the begging bowl comes out. Courtesy of Martin Garrett I have on CD a fairly comprehensive set of Meteor F.8 and T.7 AP's, however a set of NF ones would be great. If anyone has these, or indeed any Meteor NF parts they would like to donate to a worthy cause, I could certainly do with them. The Holy Grail would be to find a complete NF.14 canopy as ours is very foggy indeed.
Team leader, Meteor NF.14 WS788 restoration, YAM Elvington.
Blue_2
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Re: A-W Meteor NF.14 WS788 Restoration Project

Postby Dougs » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Awesome work can't wait to see what you do with her :ymapplause: \:D/
B-)
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Postby Aceyone » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:52 am

This is great.look forward to your progress :ymapplause:
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Ray C » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm with you all the way on this & hope to learn along the way. ;)
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:23 am

11/12/2015 Update
A sneaky Friday off meant I could get a bit done on the Meteor. While I can't make a proper start until the jet is moved over to the Handley Page building, there is much to do with some of the bits and pieces already off the jet. My plan for the day was to rub down and prime the 2 lower fillet panels I took off the other week, and have a go at removing the flaps. The plan was scuppered by spending the morning showing a couple of chaps around the museum who I hope could prove beneficial to the museum's aircraft in the long term, so I decided to just get the 2 fillet panels rubbed down and sorted.
First victim!
I get the feeling my new sander is not going to stay pristine for very long...
While rubbing back I found what I take to be an inspector's stamp and a part number. As with the Victor I shall try to record any and all such discoveries
It was certainly a good afternoon to be working indoors, as the weather outside had really taken a turn for the worse!
Morale soared as the prep of one panel was completed... then dropped as the second, worse panel took its place on the bench!
Though by the end of the day both panels were ready to be primed. Or turned into a piece of abstract sculpture, whichever you prefer
After the primer had dried I took them over to the Meteor's temporary component store, the pallet the nose cone currently lives on.
While I was working in the HP I also found under one of the desks the kit of parts that constitutes the missing kick-step.
Has anyone got a better one kicking around? Or even some better innards than this poor specimen has?
As the afternoon darkened, I called it a day
But not before catching 788 looking 'reflective' after the afternoon's downpour!
Blue_2

Postby Aceyone » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 am

Good work ! :ymapplause:
Aceyone

Postby Ray C » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:29 am

Well done in such awful weather :ymapplause:
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:04 pm

14/01/2016 Update
Hello and slightly belated New Year everyone! Apologies for the lack of updated over the festive period, but my laptop chose to retire.
I did manage 2 visits to 788 over Christmas. Before Christmas, I spent a day at the jet spraying penetrating oil on the reluctant fasteners for the flaps and the leading edges of the wings, and seeing as the weather was less than great I then went and hid in the undercarriage bays. Seeing as my current plan given the Yorkshire winter is to remove small parts and restore them as I can't get on with the aircraft properly it seemed sensible to look at the u/c bay doors while I was under there. For some reason the inner doors have been locked in the up position, probably since the jet took up gate duties in the 60's. No good thing given the amount of crap accumulated on them over the years! After a lot of work and WD40 I managed to free the port door and drop it
And after a similar amount of work, cursing and getting covered in ancient crap and mummified dead creatures the starboard door came down too

Surprisingly the bolts holding the port door in place came undone with little fight, so the door came home with me for some TLC
My second visit to the jet was a short one, my intent was to make sure 788 was OK in the crappy weather Yorkshire was and still is suffering, and to retrieve the kit of parts that is the step, and take that home for refurbishment too.
I wanted to see how much space there was round the step unit, so I took the bits over to the jet to offer it up. Not a lot was the answer!
The space where the step lives
While I was in a curious mood, I stuck my phone in the hole to scope out what the innards of the jet not normally visible looked like. Surprisingly good!
I needed to know how snug the step's fit was as the step box itself needs repairing. It has at some point had this corrosion repaired...
By riveting this alloy plate over it!
You may have guessed by now, it ain't staying like that, so I had best get fabricating. While I am at it, the step bracket will need a bit too
But, in the spirit of confidence... anyone know where I can get replacement springs for it from?!
Hopefully 788 won't be sitting in her puddle much longer. Poor thing...

The good news is, she appears to have the proper canopy cover fitted under that tarp.
Blue_2

Postby Sooty655 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks for the update, Graham. :) Looks like you'll be busy until at least Easter.
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Sooty655 wrote:Thanks for the update, Graham. :) Looks like you'll be busy until at least Easter.

With the way Graham seems to graft on the aircraft, she'll be ground running by easter!
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Aceyone » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:21 pm

One again,very interesting,thanks for posting :ymapplause:
Aceyone

Postby Mackrick » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:43 am

Interesting project thanks for sharing the update
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede
Mackrick

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:50 pm

I reckon Easter is a bit optimistic...!

20/01/16 Update

My work vehicle needing MOT yesterday meant that I had a day spare, so off I went to the jet to do a bit of work. On arrival I found the tide had receeded little
My original plan was to remove the starboard inner gear door, but given the several inches of standing water under the starboard side of the jet I decided to not do that, and to take the port main door off instead. Simply undo 4 bolts according to the book. Well I found the bolt attaching the door to the leg, and 2 of the hinge bolts, all of which undid happily. the 4th bolt, the rear hinge, seemed, well, unusual. It looked like some sort of steel pin had been fitted instead, which I decided to hacksaw through as there was not enough play to wriggle it out. I'm glad I did too; Ladies and Gentlemen I present an early entry for bodge of the year...
...yep, a bloody great nail!
I can only assume this was done when the jet was assigned for display. The bad news is it looks like the starboard main door has also been similarly, er, modded... Anyway at least one door is off.
And oddly a couple of layers down it wears green and grey paint. Any ideas?
The Meteor is now showing a leg. One job when I get the other doors off will be to give the gear and bays a damn good power washing and see how things look.
Before lunch I had a peep under the cover the jet was wearing as a cocoon. The aircraft was soaking wet with condensation under the cover, and indeed there was a lot of condensation on the inside of the cockpit canopy. I took the decision to remove the cover and open the cockpit up, my logic being that leaving the jet with just the canopy cover on meant that I could quickly open and air out the cockpit on any dry working day; this has to be healthier than leaving the jet cocooned up in sogginess!
788 emerges blinking into the daylight
First look in the cockpit
Pretty much everything is there!
In the rear I found an underside panel and the nosewheel door
And in the front bays I found one side's worth of wing attachment bolts and the missing landing lights
The other side's wing bolts were in a bay on the other side.
Getting some air through the jet; she dried out nicely with a couple of hours being opened up
I just need the tide to go out now! Anyone got King Canute's number?!
One thing I noticed on the nose, under the daubed on camo some dayglo paint from 788's Air Navigation School days could be seen
And I took a top panel off and took a couple of pics inside the fuselage centre section. Looks in good order!

The jet has now just got her canopy cover on, and looks a lot more presentable for it in my opinion.
Blue_2

Postby Sooty655 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for the update, Graham. More good progress. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Ah yes, the good old large nail. :)) Every toolbox should have a few. Uses include replacing missing bolts, fixing troublesome fuses, and of course joining bits of wood together. =)) =))
Sooty

Sooty655

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:24 pm

I believe all but the third use!!! =))
Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:54 pm

01/02/16 Update

Well, it wasn't really the weather for working on old jets in Yorkshire yesterday! I had a couple of jobs lined up in the cockpit for my new recruit, but as the rain arrived around the same time we did the canopy cover never even came off! We did do a bit of tidying though. In the jet's present position with her outer wings off, there are a few sharp pipes sticking out of the wing join which it would not be difficult for passing visitors to snag themselves on, so we got busy removing the sharp pipes and blanking them off. Here Alison, my better half and newest recruit to the Meteor team, gets to grips with hydraulic couplings which have not been spun off in 50 years in all likelihood.
After finding blanks in stores they were refitted. Much tidier, and safer too
Sadly the jet is still in her puddle. I hope to get her hauled out soon as it isn't doing her any favours
After this we retired to lunch, then we learned something of the museum's Grand Plan regarding scheduled restorations. There is a current project in the HP building, which soon will be paint stripped and repainted. Once this is done, the Meteor will be brought in and readied for the same process. In the meantime the wings are to be brought into the workshop next door and receive similar treatment.
We may also be welcoming a new recruit soon, one not unknown on this here forum too...
Things are looking up for the old girl!
Blue_2

Postby Mackrick » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:05 am

Nice update ...thanks for sharing
Mackrick

Postby Aceyone » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:38 am

Excellent post !
Aceyone

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:02 pm

09/02/2016 Update

This edition of the update thread starts thrillingly with... a handful of rusty nuts.
I had some welding jobs to do for work, which I brought home to sort in my garage. While I had all the gear out I decided to do the Meatbox's step too. A bit of careful dremel work saw the above rusty mess, the pivot nuts and bolts and the remains of the springs, removed from the step. Next task was to make up 2 new lugs for the bracket.
These were welded and trimmed, again with the faithful dremel, before being painted
The rest of the components of the step were also painted, after they had been de-rusted and treated with jenolite to hold the tinworm at bay.
Next job, simply reassemble and weld a new bottom into the step box. A boring little piece of the jet overall I know, but if the jet is being restored I want it to be as right as I can get it.

On Sunday I spent the afternoon in the Handley Page building, welding up the poor old steps for the Victor XL231 team. "I'll get you some steel, no problem" John said. Given that it was John saying this, I brought both some steel of my own and my biggest angle grinder. Good thing I did too, as the steel he brought wouldn't have looked out of place on the Tirpitz's armour! It was certainly too thick to make a reinforcing collar for the cracked section of tube, so I used my own steel for that. The stuff John brought was perfect for making reinforcing corner gussets (John likes that word!) though; these were made and fitted before close of play.
Andre reckons he will paint up the repaired areas this week, then one of the most useful bits of 231's GSE will again be available for use and abuse!
Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:14 pm

17/02/16 Update

Apologies for the slightly late update chaps, paid work got in the way!
We had a day on 788 on Monday. I can now say 'we', as I reckon 3 people involved with the aircraft officially constitutes a team! I would like to welcome Rich, better known on this forum as Richw_82, to both YAM and the Meteor project. I hope he will bring as many good things to YAM as he did to Shackleton WR963.
Already he has been set to work, as you can see here fettling the sticky latch on the DV window!
On arrival, things were a tad wintry

The good news was the Tractor God had been sighted! So we ambushed him in the NAAFI, and coaxed him out into the snow to move the Meteor out of the puddle she has lived in for the past few months.

She's certainly better off not sat in this!
Brian then went back to cuddling Dak props.
788 is now reunited with her wings (ish), and her sister(ish), the Javelin
I started showing Rich around the jet. Among the things we found was that the fusebox lid still held spare fuses! It's amazing what is still in the jet after so long.
After an interesting day the starboard main gear door was off, as was the strut for the port inner door. The pile of parts in the HP awaiting treatment is growing!
And 788 looks much happier at the shallow end of the museum!
Blue_2

Postby Ray C » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Wonderful reading...I must visit in the spring & get some advise on aircraft restoration...!!!
Are you all about in the week or mostly weekends ?
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Aceyone » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:26 am

Great stuff,really enjoy all this ! :ymapplause:
Aceyone

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Ray C wrote:Wonderful reading...I must visit in the spring & get some advise on aircraft restoration...!!!
Are you all about in the week or mostly weekends ?

Usually on a weekend; let me know when you are looking to come visit and I'll try to be around.
Blue_2

Postby Sooty655 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Looks like there's been a lot of 5 amp fuses used, Graham. The rusty nails from the gear doors may be useful after all. ;)
Sooty

Sooty655

Postby Mackrick » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Nice update...keep them coming please
Mackrick

Next

Return to Restoration and Preservation News