Shackleton co-operation

Forum rules
One thread per aircraft/project please.

Shackleton co-operation

Postby Spitfire » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:23 am

I was most impressed to see on the pages of "Rosalie" WL795 at St Mawgan in Cornwall that she is currently being moved to a 'new home' as yet undisclosed but 'not very far' and to facilitate this move they needed some serviceable main wheels with good brakes.

So the Shackleton Preservation Trust - WR963 - up in Coventry has loaned them a set of wheels which Rosalie's volunteers duly went up and collected in a trailer .....

No fuss - no bother - no begging bowls - no blackmail ... they just did it :YMAPPLAUSE: :YMAPPLAUSE:

I also watched the time lapse video of Rosalie's engines being removed recently (complete with contra rotating prop assemblies) ready for this move and again this was all done by volunteers with the generous assistance of a local crane hire company :)
This left Rosalie with just engine bulkheads visible - so said volunteers have cut out and painted 4ft ply poppies for this remembrance period.

This is old plane restoration at its VERY best, its inspirational and in my humble opinion puts VTST to shame and whilst I fully realise that both these projects need donated funds to do their work I would, and will, openly financially support both these projects before I would consider sending another penny to Vulcan To The Shed. ;) :)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Re: Shackleton co-operation

Postby Richw_82 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:49 am

Once we were sure WL795 "Rosalie" wasn't being scrapped we lent as much support as we could. Our engine lifting beam went down there as did a spare tailwheel casting which has been built up and fitted. Depending how things go, the Shackleton tow bar we have may also go down there when its time to move.

SPT assists all the Shackleton groups we can - the hint is in the name. Shackleton Preservation Trust! This year, that has been all of the UK Shacks bar the Duxford and Manchester examples.
http://www.avroshackleton.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/ShackletonReturnToFlight

Follow our efforts to get a Shackleton back in the air!
Richw_82
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Re: Shackleton co-operation

Postby Spitfire » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Richw_82 wrote:Once we were sure WL795 "Rosalie" wasn't being scrapped we lent as much support as we could. Our engine lifting beam went down there as did a spare tailwheel casting which has been built up and fitted. Depending how things go, the Shackleton tow bar we have may also go down there when its time to move.

SPT assists all the Shackleton groups we can - the hint is in the name. Shackleton Preservation Trust! This year, that has been all of the UK Shacks bar the Duxford and Manchester examples.

My point exactly :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Restoration and Preservation News