Nimrod XV232.

Forum rules
One thread per aircraft/project please.

Re: Nimrod XV232.

Postby Crew chief » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Blue_2 wrote:The best thing for her would be mains power and several dehumidifiers permanently running! Glad you've a Houchin of your very own now :)

Hi Graham.

The Houchin was the SPT's and been in dry store for more than a decade. We checked it over fitted a couple of batteries and within seconds it was running. :D In its current location mains power to the aircraft would be a none starter but we hope to get the aircraft moved up towards the DC6 diner so we can hopefully tap into their supply and also have more public access to the aircraft.

cc.
I only do it with a long lead.
Crew chief
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Crew chief » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi all.

Just a short update.
We washed the Houchin ready for prepping for its repaint from its current horrid white into a more fetching camo green and we also gave 232 a bit of a wash as well. The starboard side of the aircraft had become very green with algae (as you can see in some of Lee's pictures)but after a few hours of hard graft it now looks more hemp than green and a bit more cared for. I will post some pics when I remember to take my camera. ;)

cc.
Crew chief

Postby Mayfly » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 am

A little TLC goes a long way! :ymapplause:
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Crew chief » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi All.

Another quick update regarding XV232.
The aircraft's batteries are over with 655 MaPS who are very kindly going to charge and cycle them for us :ymapplause: ( I really must pop over and see the guys and the old girl) once we have them back then we hope to turn the 28 volt systems on and see what we have. Been doing lots and lots of reading getting to know a bit more of 232's systems and procedures so its all coming together slowly.
That's it for now will update in the new year.
The Nimrod team at Cov would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

cc.
Crew chief

Postby Aceyone » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Thanks for the update and wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Bovril » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:17 pm

merry Christmas CC, to you and the team at Cov, see you soon at welles

Crew chief wrote:Hi All.

Another quick update regarding XV232.
The aircraft's batteries are over with 655 MaPS who are very kindly going to charge and cycle them for us :ymapplause: ( I really must pop over and see the guys and the old girl) once we have them back then we hope to turn the 28 volt systems on and see what we have. Been doing lots and lots of reading getting to know a bit more of 232's systems and procedures so its all coming together slowly.
That's it for now will update in the new year.
The Nimrod team at Cov would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

cc.
XM655 - the most powerful vulcan in the world
[Alive and Kicking]
Bovril
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Postby Crew chief » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Just another short update for any 232 fans.
We had a visitor last Saturday in the form of a chap called Graham Morgan, Graham was a flight engineer on Nimrods with over 1800hrs on type and many hours aboard 232 and has a wealth of knowledge which he has already started to pass on to us so welcome to the team Graham :ymapplause: .With all this wind about lately we pulled the intake and exhaust blanks the other day and let the Speys turn over gently for a few minutes to circulate some oil, opened up the engine bay doors to drain out all the rain water that has found its way in.
Just waiting on our friends at 655 MaPS to finish off servicing our other battery and then we should be in a good position to put power onto 232.Rumour has it that Airbase will open again in some shape or form in April which will hopefully put a few quid in the tin as you know 232 is self funding with the only money coming in at the moment from the odd visitor or our own pockets.
Next post should include some pics of 232 alive so watch this space.

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Mayfly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:30 am

Keep up the good work CC like starting with 655 all over again!
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Crew chief » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Mayfly wrote:Keep up the good work CC like starting with 655 all over again!

Yes a bit Pam, although 232 is nowhere near as bad as 655 was when we took her on and we are not aiming so high in getting 232 taxing just up and running and making at bit of noise now and again.

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Sploosher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:15 pm

Crew chief wrote:
Mayfly wrote:Keep up the good work CC like starting with 655 all over again!

Yes a bit Pam, although 232 is nowhere near as bad as 655 was when we took her on and we are not aiming so high in getting 232 taxing just up and running and making at bit of noise now and again.

CC.

a bit of taxying would be great though if you could manage it someday..... \:D/
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Crew chief » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 pm

You can never say never Sploosher ;)

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Sploosher » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Crew chief wrote:You can never say never Sploosher ;)

CC.

good................... :)

I have looked around 232 when I went for the night shoot a couple or so years ago, mainly to see WR963, but enjoyed your lady very much indeed as it brought back memories for me from my early RAF career. :D

can I put this link here?,
Avro Shackleton WR963 flickr group http://www.flickr.com/groups/1811088@N24/

if not please feel free to remove it

When I got foster posted to Kinloss before my trade training at Cosford, I was fortunate to get a trip on a `tapestry run` over the north sea going around the rigs etc in one of 232`s sisters \:D/

I have asked at Elvington if I can have a `guided tour` of 250, but was told that I cant due to health and safety... :((

A shame really, as I managed to get one of Lusty Lindy with the kind help of Graham ( Blue_2 ).......... \:D/
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Crew chief » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 am

Well Sploosher if you want a tour of 232 just ask, for a small donation you will have access to everything. We do like to give the aviation enthusiast an in depth tour if they are up to it. ;)

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Sploosher » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Crew chief wrote:Well Sploosher if you want a tour of 232 just ask, for a small donation you will have access to everything. We do like to give the aviation enthusiast an in depth tour if they are up to it. ;)

CC.

As we may be down that way again this year, I hope to take you up on that offer .................
:D

will give you as much notice as I can ........ ;)
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Avro683 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:07 am

Excellent update.. looking forward to pictures of her alive once more!
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am

Sploosher wrote:
I have asked at Elvington if I can have a `guided tour` of 250, but was told that I cant due to health and safety... :((

A shame really, as I managed to get one of Lusty Lindy with the kind help of Graham ( Blue_2 ).......... \:D/

Odd... if the Nimrod team are in it's usually possible to get a tour...

Good to see things starting to happen with 232. When we came down to work on her for a weekend a year or so back, she was starting to get close to the edge of being unfeasible to return to running.
Team leader, Meteor NF.14 WS788 restoration, YAM Elvington.
Blue_2

Postby Richw_82 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 am

Its good to see XV232 getting care. There were big hopes when she arrived at Coventry, that fell by the wayside for whatever reasons.

I don't doubt the guys can bring her back - maybe all the way to taxying condition. The problem there would be getting her out the gates onto the airport proper, as they were put up after and are too small to allow her to get through.

Blue_2 - I think you guys coming down from Elvington was a timely intervention, and just enough to keep XV232 from declining as fast as she could have.
http://www.avroshackleton.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/ShackletonReturnToFlight

Follow our efforts to get a Shackleton back in the air!
Richw_82

Postby Crew chief » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 am

Indeed Rich the guys from Elvington have no doubt helped in stopping the rot of 232 :ymapplause:. As for the gates I have a rather large angle grinder for when the time comes :D although that fence and gates are due to be moved at some point in the future.

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Nimgen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Good to hear that 32 is getting looked after again. If you need any assistance with information don't hesitate to contact us at morayvia.org.uk. We have all the APs and some limited spares and plenty of Nimrod experience to pass on.
I notice that you haven't got any wheel covers on 32, rays-tek have got some mainwheel covers going at the moment, which I am sure a good offer will secure.

All the best in prepping the ac for 'power on' and us up north hope to hear from you.

CH
Nimgen
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Richw_82 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Crew chief wrote:As for the gates I have a rather large angle grinder for when the time comes

WR963 gave the fence a good 'lean' at one point a few years back. Griffons + Speys? I don't think the angle grinder would be needed... :))
http://www.avroshackleton.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/ShackletonReturnToFlight

Follow our efforts to get a Shackleton back in the air!
Richw_82

Postby Crew chief » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:25 pm

Nimgen wrote:Good to hear that 32 is getting looked after again. If you need any assistance with information don't hesitate to contact us at morayvia.org.uk. We have all the APs and some limited spares and plenty of Nimrod experience to pass on.
I notice that you haven't got any wheel covers on 32, rays-tek have got some mainwheel covers going at the moment, which I am sure a good offer will secure.

All the best in prepping the ac for 'power on' and us up north hope to hear from you.

CH

PM sent.

CC
Crew chief

Postby Crew chief » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:30 pm

Well Rays-Tek have come up trumps with some wheel covers for 232. Thanks to Paul for giving us a very good deal. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Crew chief » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi all.

Well I did promise you some pics with power on but we are still having the gremlins playing with our Houchin ground power set. We do however know what's wrong with it and the parts have been ordered and we hope to have them fitted by next weekend. The aircraft's batteries have been refitted and we did switch them on and they were showing a healthy 27 volts each :D . The aircrafts tyres have been inflated and the new main wheel covers fitted so 232 looks even more cared for. We have removed the four sono boay operator seats to allow easier access for any visitors to the aircraft as you have to walk sideways to get from one end of the aircraft to the other with the seats fitted and we have had visitors struggle to squeeze past them in the past. Once the Houchin is up and running and we have a reliable power supply I will take a few pics of 232 alive.

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Crew chief » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi all.

Well we have been having some problems with our Houchin that's been holding us up, but Air Atlantique have very kindly lent us one to use until we can sort ours out. Anyway with 28 and 200 volts on we managed to run 232's Apu today and give all four engines a dry turn over which was good :D . Next week all being well we hope to start the two engines that still have serviceable fire bottles so watch this space and I promise to take my camera.

CC.
Crew chief

Postby Ray C » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:37 pm

This sounds good....It's getting "Active" out there...... :)
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration and Preservation News