Page 1 of 1

Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:30 am
by Xplumberlives
I nipped in to RAF Wittering on Friday having been told of a new arrival! Had a look around the HHC and then went looking for the airframe in the last picture.

Four Harriers in one place!
Image

XV279
Image

The previous RAF WITTERING Gate Guard
Image

Image

Image

Latest HHC arrival ZD318
Image

Image

Image

A Mk 10 Ejection Seat
Image

T4 XV779
Image

Image

The two Cockpit sections
Image

Image

The recent arrival behind 4 Sqns old hangar
Image

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:02 pm
by Equinox
nice to see the heritage kept back (i built the wings on the 1 sqn sign whilst in kandahar using a jigsaw attached by airline to the fast track ) would be nice to see a unimog or fastrack in the heritage centre. Who is actually running the centre as i wouldn't mind having a wander round myself. I remember the malvinas sign as it was mounted in b hanger at cottesmore above the door into rects control

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:21 pm
by MOD
Thanks for posting these great pics Dave. :ymapplause:

Nice to hear from you again Equinox (Matt). Welcome back - in more senses than one. ;)

Ian

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm
by Dan4th
I agree with Equinox it's GREAT to
see that "Malvinas" sign on display!

Recent survey in Argentina showed
that fully 70% in that country STILL
believe the islands belong to them!

I'm fairly sure most of them know
nothing about the history, they've
just been fed this line for so long!

Maybe UK ought to claim Patagonia?

After all, it was (...I think) settled
by the Welsh :D

Danf.

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:06 pm
by Ducati Boy
Dan4th wrote:I agree with Equinox it's GREAT to
see that "Malvinas" sign on display!

Recent survey in Argentina showed
that fully 70% in that country STILL
believe the islands belong to them!

I'm fairly sure most of them know
nothing about the history, they've
just been fed this line for so long!

Maybe UK ought to claim Patagonia?

After all, it was (...I think) settled
by the Welsh :D

Danf.

Quite so D4th, it was my Fathers forefathers so stuff the Argies. Cymru am Byth!! (Except when they are playing Ireland at Rugby Union of course. :D

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:29 pm
by Xplumberlives
Equinox wrote:nice to see the heritage kept back (i built the wings on the 1 sqn sign whilst in kandahar using a jigsaw attached by airline to the fast track ) would be nice to see a unimog or fastrack in the heritage centre. Who is actually running the centre as i wouldn't mind having a wander round myself. I remember the malvinas sign as it was mounted in b hanger at cottesmore above the door into rects control




The HOLDING FLIGHT that live in the OLD FOUR SQUADRON OFFICES are the custodians of the HHC! ;)

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:29 am
by Equinox
ie the old 20 sqn then 4 sqn pilots buiding with the hanger underneath

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 am
by Xplumberlives
Equinox wrote:ie the old 20 sqn then 4 sqn pilots buiding with the hanger underneath




That's the one! ;)

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:32 am
by Nickolas
Can any group apply to visit?

Feel a cadet trip coming on......... :D :D :D

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:33 am
by Xplumberlives
Nickolas wrote:Can any group apply to visit?

Feel a cadet trip coming on......... :D :D :D




I wouldn't know, best thing to do would be to get your Sqns OC to contact OC Holding Flight! ;)

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:40 pm
by Nickolas
Xplumberlives wrote:
Nickolas wrote:Can any group apply to visit?

Feel a cadet trip coming on......... :D :D :D




I wouldn't know, best thing to do would be to get your Sqns OC to contact OC Holding Flight! ;)


Do you know if they still have an ACLO?
Air Cadet Liaison Officer?

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:30 pm
by Xplumberlives
Nick

I will sort out details this evening and PM you! ;)

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm
by Sploosher
thanks for the pics.............. :D

is `Joe public` allowed to turn up and want to visit........... ;)

Re: Harrier Heritage Centre - RAF Wittering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:03 pm
by Xplumberlives
Sploosher wrote:thanks for the pics.............. :D

is `Joe public` allowed to turn up and want to visit........... ;)




Joe Public is allowed to turn up and want to visit, but will be left out in the car park at the Main gate next to the A1 unless he calls to attempt to arrange a visit! ;)

01780 783838 is the main number for RAF Wittering and then you need to ask for the HOLDING FLIGHT as they are the custodians of the HHC. :D

Good luck