Victor K2 XL231

Forum rules
One thread per aircraft/project please.

Re: Victor K2 XL231

Postby Sploosher » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:44 pm

thanks for the update Graham, I have had the pleasure of seeing the two Avro`s you mention, and they look amazing......... \:D/ \:D/

I really appreciate all the time and trouble you guys take to look after these wonderful machines............... :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Hope to get to see Lindy soon..............and when I do, the coffee is on me......... :D

P.S............. how is the car............... ;)
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:38 am

To be fair the Mondeo did really well. It managed to still return well over 55mpg all the way back 'fully freighted', and sat happily at 70 on the motorway (where roadworks allowed that is! ~x( ), not bad for a 10 year old load lugger with 140+k on the clock! :ymapplause:
Though she did seem happier and a little more sprightly relieved of her burden on the Monday morning run to work...
Team leader, Meteor NF.14 WS788 restoration, YAM Elvington.
Blue_2
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:16 pm

It was probably the nights rest making the car a little less tired Graham......
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:51 pm

It got another rest this weekend, as I was using my works Land Rover instead!

20-07-15 Update

After last weekend's road trip it was back to home base for a day of graft on our girl. I had loaded my vehicle up the night before with 2 of the nice new ex-XM655 tyres and a nice NOS brake pack, still in its transport crate. Andre wanted this to replace the port inner forward unit which persistently leaks, and will be duly overhauled. As the core of the team was present, plus reinforcements in the form of several of the museum's French students, there were enough of us to split into 3 groups and set to and do 3 jobs at once which made a nice change! One team was replacing the brake pack, one was preparing the freshly removed wheel to receive new tyres, and I was preparing and repainting the underside of the port tailplane with a little help from Rich and Rick moving the giraffe for me.
As we were so busy I didn't get too many chances to take pics, but I managed a few.
The Port tailplane, looking sad
Jet jacked up, new brake pack fitted
My 'charioteers' for the day, moving the giraffe at my command!
Tailplane prep
Sam cleaning the freshly removed wheel, with a little help from French friends
Tailplane half painted
And job done!

Brake bled, wheel back on and undergoing reinflation, almost ready to drop her down.
Overall a very busy but productive day, with much achieved and another wheelset almost ready to build up and fit next week.
Blue_2

Postby Aceyone » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks for the updates,very very interesting :ymapplause:
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:04 am

11/08/15 Update, incorporating a rather late 4/08/15 update...

Apologies, work has been rather manic so I have not had chance to update the thread myself. But evidence of something occurring last Tuesday other than brewing up and eating cake (or failing to, in Mr. Langham's case!) is finally here. Due to several distractions work on sanding the port gear door down was somewhat slower than anticipated. At one point Andre had to reach for his dremel to remove a redundant screw
The door was soon prepped, and the minimal corrosion found was dealt with.
After a dust-off and priming, it was out with the rollers
We were very pleased with the finished article. One more piece of the underside done!
On Sunday I was out on the airfield for the flying, both full size and scale. The VC10 was most impressive
As was the Victor.
And of course, 558 was the star of the day.

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:54 am

01/09/15 Update
Where has the year gone? September already?!
August Bank Holiday weekend is a busy one for any attraction; Yorkshire Air Museum is no exception. And while our Bank holiday Monday fast taxying event was unable to take place due to runway works we were still determined to make the best of it, and as much noise as possible!
We mustered on Sunday as usual to make sure Lindy was in good health and ready for static engine runs and systems demonstrations. First though, we went to the hangar to see what progress our fearless leader had made with the Tornado repaint. The answer was plenty!

The Devon was waiting patiently in the hangar too. Awaiting preparation for the next day's event.
We had decided to fire up the APU and give everything a good exercising. She always looks good de-blanked and ready to go!
John and I had been round doing the tyre checks. Pleasingly, the recently replaced tyres had lost no pressure whatsoever! Another little job got ticked off the list after lunch. the Omega aerial had had the sealant around its mounting recently replaced and tidied up, so with an idle couple of minutes before we gave the jet her systems check I broke out the paintbrush and gave it all a quick coat of LAG.
Then we lit the Artouste to begin our checks.
As we have had a wet few weeks, Niagara Falls appeared out of the flaps when they deployed
The centreline HDU was given some exercise
As were all the control surfaces

As you can see particularly in the tail shots, a lot of trapped water was expelled from the aircraft. Testimony to just how wet a summer it has been in this corner of Yorkshire.
We also dry-spun all 4 Conways, prior to lighting them 'in anger' on Monday.
Everything performed as it should, so we shut down and started praying to the Weather Gods that all the forecasts for Monday were wrong.

As you can see, they were not...

After breakfast it was decided to give the Bucc and the Dak a test run before the public arrived. Brian, or the Bearded Peril as he became this week, really enjoyed towing the Bucc's air starter out in his new convertible...
The Bucc started fine, and did a spot of grass flattening
And also ran through all its systems, which seemed to behave perfectly
The Fire Team then pulled the props on the Dak through
Before Brian tried to start it using The Force, merely by pointing at it!
...Which surprisingly, worked!
Despite some pessimism around the site that the weather would mean she wouldn't go, both engines fired up nicely and were on good song. The rain meant there were some interesting spray patterns off the props too.
With the site now filling with visitors, there was little to do but final prep, such as topping up the oil on the Artouste, wait for our turn.
The weather showed no intent of improving, as you can see
So sadly the WW1 aircraft demonstrations had to be cancelled. The weather would have done the SE5 and Kitten absolutely no good.
The Devon came out to play though! It sounded in good health
With our warm-up act the Nimrod preparing to run, we decided to do our final checks too. I was on engine checks, as caught here by Ian
There was a surprisingly good crowd, given that the weather was still poor
The Nimrod struck up, and lit up the afternoon gloom
While it was performing, we carried out full control checks again

After the Nimrod shut down, it would be our turn. But first we had to have the fence behind the jet removed, so as not to cause it damage with our Conways. So ladies and gentlemen, may I present a new attraction at YAM for 2015, the Fire Crew Formation Fence Lifting Team!
With the fence out we could start.
Again, we cycled the jets systems. Nice to see those bl**dy RATs are still behaving!
All 4 engines behaved perfectly. No. 4 even decided to suck up all the water off the tarmac for us!

After shut down, we decided for fun to do an experiment using the steel plate we site under the jet's Artouste exhaust. Can we fry an egg on it...?
It would seem so!
So a great day, despite the weather doing its best to scupper things. Many thanks to everyone who attended despite the poor weather, and thanks to the fire team for their usual top job of covering the event.
Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:06 am

01/11/2015 Update
Yesterday was very, well, Autumnal at YAM

Fortunately there was a tour booked for the Halifax, so I had a nosey on board Lindy's ancestor

I don't care what the detractors say; our Hali is close enough to the real thing for me and for the veterans who visit her. Although quite what the Tractor God's thoughts are on the aircraft it is difficult to say...
Back outdoors the weather had not improved at all
So I took the spare Harrier outrigger wheel we found in the stores a few weeks ago to put some air in it. It seemed sensible to test it's air holding abilities before going to the bother of fitting it! Unfortunately the inflation adapter for the museum compressor was nowhere to be seen, and I didn't want to waste expensive museum Nitrogen, so I took it to my car and gave it a go with my own little compressor
Sadly it leaked, so will need an inner tube. A worthwhile exercise, even if we didn't get the result we wanted.

After lunch we decided to dry spin the engines on Lindy. Well, as dry as anything can be in these conditions!

After de-blanking the APU was fired up, however it decided to cut out! It would not then re-start so Andre went into the bomb bay to beat the solenoid and check the fuel filter
This did the trick, so all 4 engines were blown over twice and the control surfaces, airbrakes, flaps and RATs were all exercised
RATs down! Still behaving...

The landing lights were tested too, brightening an otherwise grey day
And for once the comms worked perfectly and Ian on the long lead could both hear and be heard. Whether or not his Wigan speak could be understood though is a different matter...!
One bit of brightness, Brian's other tug is back from its holiday at Duxford after fraternizing with such things as a B52, B29, Victor 1 etc.
Blue_2

Postby Ray C » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Your work on XL231 is simply superb...I'm working on XM602 (inside) the Museum & 603 (outside) neither will ever run due to no electrics & many parts sourced for 558, How on earth do you keep the weather out...?

Question...Out of all your splendid aircraft exhibits which would you like to see fly again....?
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:06 pm

Off topic alert but can parts be retrieved for 603 to allow ground power to be applied?

A thread for 602 and 603 would be well appreciated here Ray.
Vulcan Bomber

Postby Ray C » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:29 am

Vulcan Bomber wrote:Off topic alert but can parts be retrieved for 603 to allow ground power to be applied?

A thread for 602 and 603 would be well appreciated here Ray.

I would be more than happy to start a thread with up-dates on 603...However, we/the Avro Heritage Museum currently do not own the aircraft. It is in fact owned by Harrow Estates a subsidiary of Redrow Homes & they
are to say it mildly "Sensitive" to social media postings.

I will discuss with my team leader and establish what I can post, one thing is for sure we have our work cut
out restoring 603s outside panels & paintwork early next year .

Keep an eye on our Vulcan section. ;)
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Spitfire » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Blue_2 wrote:01/11/2015 Update
Yesterday was very, well, Autumnal at YAM

That was a stunning and very inspiring post - more power to you all - thoroughly impressive :D :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:04 am

30/11/2015

While not Strictly Victor related, my offering this week does contain traces of Handley Page. More than traces to be fair; you may recall a couple of weeks ago the Shackleton Preservation Trust came to the rescue of our Halifax with new inner tubes? Well I'm pleased to say that in a fine display of inter-museum co-operation they are now on and fitted.
Inner tubes from the SPT
Jacks from IWM Duxford
and jacking adaptors from Newark Air Museum
Thanks to all involved!

And now it's goodbye from me. After a few unforgettable years with 231 I am for personal reasons taking a sabbatical from the jet. She is in good hands though.
I will still be on site at YAM though, as I have just started a classic British jet restoration project of my own which will soon have its own thread running on here. So I suspect there will be the odd cry of 'can you just...', and that my days of waving 2BA spanners at Lindy aren't entirely over just yet...
Which one would I like to see fly again Ray? All of them!
Blue_2

Postby Aceyone » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 am

Absolutely fascinating,thanks very much for posting :ymapplause:
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone

Postby Hungry Haggis » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:39 pm

A Pic of Lindy from the 1991 Airshow at RAF Leuchars Image
http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/s ... ancer.aspx . 2018 is not my favourite year at all
Hungry Haggis
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Previous

Return to Restoration and Preservation News