Victor K2 XL231

Forum rules
One thread per aircraft/project please.

Re: Victor K2 XL231

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:45 pm

we have the red 'hard' blanks for Lindy, the silver ones are the 'soft' blanks, which are imho easier to fit and handle. Specially single-handedly!
Team leader, Meteor NF.14 WS788 restoration, YAM Elvington.
Blue_2
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Avro683 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks Blue, alwaus wondered about that and I agree that they must be easier to fit than the red ones.
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:53 pm

At some point we'll get our red blanks spruced up and back in use.

We hope to have more activity this year as last year wasn't a great one for us, as and when I learn anything concrete I'll post it here. If anyone's planning a visit to see us and Lindy specifically, our working day is a Sunday. Pm me in advance and we'll show you round her!
In the meantime I'll update this thread regularly with our activities. :)
Blue_2

Postby Xplumberlives » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Blue_2 wrote:At some point we'll get our red blanks spruced up and back in use.

We hope to have more activity this year as last year wasn't a great one for us, as and when I learn anything concrete I'll post it here. If anyone's planning a visit to see us and Lindy specifically, our working day is a Sunday. Pm me in advance and we'll show you round her!

Thank you B2 :ymapplause:
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Yorkie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Blue_2 wrote:At some point we'll get our red blanks spruced up and back in use.

Oh my!!! my family will just love it when i say that ;) they take great ammusement that i can look at her for as long as I do ( every time i go) :D

I really need to come up and have a chat some time, I have emailed Andre previously and he's a friendly chap but there is another aircraft up at the museum that needs some TLC so would love to get in touch with the owner and see if they will allow a 'spruce' up
"I try to take life one day at a time, but lately several days have attacked me at once."
Yorkie

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:51 pm

Which aircraft do you have in mind? :)
Blue_2

Postby Yorkie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Blue_2 wrote:Which aircraft do you have in mind? :)

The lightning. But I have already been warned that the owner is a little 'temperamental'

Every time I go it looks even worse ! Even a good clean and tidy up would help!

But its lovely :)
"I try to take life one day at a time, but lately several days have attacked me at once."
Yorkie

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:31 pm

all I'll say is bear in mind the museum offered to complete the markings, and were turned down. Also that technically the museum isn't even allowed to wash the poor thing without the owner's nod...
Blue_2

Postby Yorkie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Blue_2 wrote:all I'll say is bear in mind the museum offered to complete the markings, and were turned down. Also that technically the museum isn't even allowed to wash the poor thing without the owner's nod...

I know! It's a real shame as its a lovely aircraft. I know someone who has had contact with the owner and didn't get far but perhaps if I'm persistent he'll either take an injunction out or let me tidy her up. Lol
Yorkie

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:56 pm

you can only try mate! And she deserves it. I'm sure you'd find that, as with any of the museum aircraft, Victor team members would be more than willing to help :)
Blue_2

Postby Yorkie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:18 pm

Cheers

I'll nip over one sunday and say hi (may even have a nosey around your gorgeous old bird lol)

It's a real shame that the nimrod has to be parked so close. Used to be some lovely views where you could see her.

Time to build more hangers :D
Yorkie

Postby Sploosher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 pm

How much notice would you need to enable a look inside your big bird Blue 2........... \:D/
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:09 am

Easy tiger! :D

Letting me know the week before so's I can advise if I'll be there or not is fine. For example, I'm not in this Sunday as the mrs is off work and wants to go out and do something that doesn't involve a large hemp aircraft. No, I can't understand it either...?! =))
Blue_2

Postby Xplumberlives » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:21 am

Blue_2 wrote:Easy tiger! :D

Letting me know the week before so's I can advise if I'll be there or not is fine. For example, I'm not in this Sunday as the mrs is off work and wants to go out and do something that doesn't involve a large hemp aircraft. No, I can't understand it either...?! =))

I hope she's NOT taking you

SHOPPING!
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:04 am

a shiver just went down my spine there, at the mention of the 's' word. You know what us Yorkshiremen are like when it comes to spending coin! :))
Blue_2

Postby Yorkie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:23 am

Blue_2 wrote:a shiver just went down my spine there, at the mention of the 's' word. You know what us Yorkshiremen are like when it comes to spending coin! :))

Well it appears after last weekend that B&Q and screwfix is not actually shopping! the suggestion to go to Towsure this weekend did not go down well.......

The Wife has the 5yr old daughter trained now, we drove past YAM last weekend en route to somewhere and we had the 'strop' from the back saying oh daddy do we have to go here again! and an excited 7yr old saying please dad please.... can't win.

Are the hangar parts (beside the big hangar with the Halifax in) complete? there is a lot of space back there! almost as if they put the hangar in the wrong place :-o if they stuck another one there, could the victor sit on it's circular pad? (was that put there for the Victor originally?)

I need to win the euromillions on Friday then I can buy the airfield and make YAM complete again, get rid of the fences.
Yorkie

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 am

Surely the 7 year old wins on seniority?! The other hangar has gone, apparently it was too far gone corrosion-wise and some of the structure was missing. The area behind the hangar has been turfed and is intended for event use I believe. Not sure about the little pan's original function, it was built well before I was on the scene. I think it works really well as a display area for the puddle jumpers in summer. They are of course currently wintering in the hangar. When you win that fortune can we have a big hangar for Lindy and the 'rod please!
Blue_2

Postby Yorkie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Blue_2 wrote:Surely the 7 year old wins on seniority?! The other hangar has gone, apparently it was too far gone corrosion-wise and some of the structure was missing. The area behind the hangar has been turfed and is intended for event use I believe. Not sure about the little pan's original function, it was built well before I was on the scene. I think it works really well as a display area for the puddle jumpers in summer. They are of course currently wintering in the hangar. When you win that fortune can we have a big hangar for Lindy and the 'rod please!

The wife wins on seniority (Shhh don't tell anyone)

The pan does work for the little planes, especially when they let you walk on the mound so you can get above, some good photo opps.

It seems like the museum just needs more space! you can't get clear shots of Lindy or the 'rod' as you call her. you could do with half of the dispersal area on the airfield!

but saying that when Lindy used to sit for long period on the end of the runway, you could never get close to her.

as for the events area :-o thats perfect to display aircraft on, I know they have to make money and functions are the way to go but why?

It would be interesting to know who owns the land behind the museum (behind the hangar) it runs all the way around to the control tower, as the runway is a no go.
Yorkie

Postby Blue_2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi all, apologies for the lack of updates but I've not been well. Once I'm back up to full steam it'll be business as usual though :)
Blue_2

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Hope your feeling better! ;)
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Postby MOD » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:58 pm

I look forward to more updates from YAM and your sexy lady.

Get well soon.

ibw
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Postby Blue_2 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi all, sorry for the lack of updates but illness followed by a knee injury has put me out of the game. I did manage to escape the beady eye of SWMBO and sneak down to the jet on Sunday for a couple of hours though. Lindy's in good health, and apart from removing a bracket which was restricting movement of the Nav. plotter's seat and draining off some accumulated water there was little to do. As it was some sort of free admission day we had many visitors to talk to, it was nice to see so much interest in our jet!
During the afternoon we fired up the Random Smoke Generator (AKA the Houchin) and put ground power on for half an hour or so. Always good to exercise the systems.
Apologies for the lack of photos, I forgot the camera!
Last I heard this coming weekend's anti-det runs of the Nimrod and Victor have been cancelled, so March is the next scheduled running day. :(
Blue_2

Postby Garryashdown » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm sure they were red when I worked on them at Marham in late 60's
Garryashdown
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Also Known As: garryash

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Blue_2 wrote: Random Smoke Generator (AKA the Houchin) ....... =))

Apologies for the lack of photos, I forgot the camera! ..... Never mind I'm sure you will rectify this omission next time ;)

Last I heard this coming weekend's anti-det runs of the Nimrod and Victor have been cancelled, so March is the next scheduled running day. : ..... I look forward to that. It's about time I visited the YAM

Regards Ian
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Postby Blue_2 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Little to report this week, as weather has stopped play. Hoewever we have recently set up a Victor blog, including 'guest' articles from those who knew 231 during her time in service. It's well worth a read, with more cracking articles in the pipeline. The shortcut to it will be in my sig shortly.
Blue_2

PreviousNext

Return to Restoration and Preservation News