Trident 1C G-ARPO Dismantle works.

Forum rules
One thread per aircraft/project please.

Trident restoration

Postby Tony Jarrett » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 am

Well after a couple of months i thought i would update everyone on where we are at. During the time the Trident has been at the museum the restoration has not stopped, Each week the aircraft is being worked on . The front passenger cabin section has been stripped out of seats and carpets and the hard graft of cleaning the interior up to remove the grime is almost complete in that area. The window panels have been stripped down with the psu covers and window surrounds ready for painting, Wall and ceiling panels are also cleaned up ready , The toilet is well into its clean and restoration as well as we have started the galley.dividing walls in the front are recovered . Neil has completed about half the cockpit . Many other bits are started and we are hoping to paint when it gets warmer.. Outside we have managed to re inflate 3 of the main tyre and one of the belfast front tyres . The 1e tyre we have inflated 2 of them. This doesnt sound a lot but a lot of attention is being given to detail so we get a good finish.
We are about to embark on covering the front seats , there are 39 of them in the front cabin . This will cost about 70.00 a seat as materials are not cheap as well as some foams will need to be replaced. We could so much do with any donation for this as it all helps in getting each seat covered , We can basically only do another job as we get the funds.Thankyou regards to you all tony
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Re: Trident 1C G-ARPO Dismantle works.

Postby MOD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for the update Tony. I wish you and the team well and I hope you find the funds that you need to continue the restoration. ;)

Ian
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Postby Gaz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 am

NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Flywrite » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:23 am

Hi all,

we've been making great progress on the interior of G-ARPO as we prepare the forward cabin. She's being painted at the moment, and we're hoping to secure sponsorships or enough donations to cover the cost of carpets and re-upholstering the seats soon. In the near future we intend to roll her back out of the car park at NEAM in order to allow access to visitors.

I wanted to tell you about our new Facebook page. If you're on there, please visit http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-The-Trident/400424790009308 and click 'Like'. Then you'll be able to see the latest information from the project as and when it happens.

Don't forget to keep an eye out on our website too: http://www.savethetrident.org

Cheers
Matt
Flywrite
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Dougs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:43 am

fantastic work looks great with the new carpets :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
B-)
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Postby Tony Jarrett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks dougs.
Franks carpets kindly sponsored us with the carpets for the front and the rear , The front as you will see on the save the Trident website has now been fitted and looks great,The rear will be fitted next year when rear section is done. We also had Aerofloor sponsor us with the vinyl for the door areas, galley , toilet and cockpit. All the areas were kindly laid by Franks carpets fitters. The cockpit flooring will be fitted at a later date on completion.
Our next projects is over the winter ,undertaking the restoring and refitting of the front seats, the making of 2 pullman tables . We shall also be pulling the trident back at the museum out of their carpark on to a prepared area.
To acheive this we need to raise approximately £100.00 for each table for the materials and also we need to pay for the chippings that we need to put down as asurface for the Trident to go on , An area of 100ft x 60ft has been dug out at the museum and infilled with stone with just a surface to go on. This will cost around 300.00 to do which will then mean we can bring the stairs over from cosford and roll the trident back ready to be able to open it up next year. We have to raise this money first before we can do these tasks so if you can help us with raising our target we would be very grateful
regards tony
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Tony Jarrett » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi All,
Its been a while and i appologise for not updating this forum sooner but i hope most of you have been going to the save the trident website.
A lot has happened over the last year with the aircraft painted in the front p/x cabin toilet and galley and what a transformation. We have also had the vinyl flooring put in as well as carpet through the front cabin. We have started on the electrics with wiring all in for all the sockets we wanted as well as fuse box and wiring to front toilet light. Right now they are putting in the wiring through the cabins for the lighting .The rear is all stripped out and work has started in there too.
This year we have many areas we want to do , ie finishing the front cabin, cockpit, getting the airstairs here as well as new engine nacelles. W3e are also going to work heavily on the outside and would love to at least get the fuse painted.. weather permitting..
We are also looking for more volunteers to help, preferbly with engineering or fabrication skills, although , ethusiastic people also wanted.
We have made a target of 3k as a realistic figure to raise this year so if anyone wants to donate they can at the website www.savethetrident.org
Kindest regards tony
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Jigsaw » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 pm

No need to apologise. Thanks for the update :)
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mackrick » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for the update..
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede
Mackrick

Postby Gaz » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Been following on FB, great to see the project progress
NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Sploosher » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks for the update Tony, looks like things are progressing well, :) I amazed at the small amount of funds you are after though, would have thought it would have been higher...... :-o

We plan to go to the Beamish area for a few days in May, so may come across and visit...... :D
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Tony Jarrett » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi Splosher and all
I have to look at what is realistically acheivable this year with the amount of members we have. We would like to finish the front cabin, and cockpit galley , toilet . Outside make a good start on the fuselage/landing gear.. Also we want to get the airstairs over from Cosford. Of course if we raise extra then its always will be in the account to carry over to the next stage of works.. It is however very hard to raise donations so we are so grateful to the people who have donated to get us from when we started at Teeside airport to the museum and to the stage we are at now.We try to make every penny go as far as we can .
anyone with an odd fiver in their wallet will make difference to our project and keep this great project going, it all adds together to get their... Many organisations would like a donation but one thing we can show through our website is that all the money being donated is being used for the restoration and not administration and wages as we are all volunteers .
regards tony
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Sickbag_andy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:38 am

there's a photo of 'RPO landing at Hamburg amongst this set:

http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... 13&t=15050

(and other Tridents of all marks)
Andy G, Vulcan supporter and plane crazy
Sickbag_andy
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Also Known As: andy-golfer

Postby Sploosher » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:49 am

thanks for the reply Tony, I will really make an effort to come and visit next month..........its good to know that the money people give is going to where it belongs........ :ymapplause:
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: jangor

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am

I was parked up near NEAM the other night, and finally got a look at 'PO, albeit through a fence. You've got a lot of work to do but she looks in really good order. Best of luck with her!
Interesting to see a new Romney shed was being delivered to the site while I was there. Being HIAB'ed off the back of a very bogged-down looking truck! :))
Team leader, Meteor NF.14 WS788 restoration, YAM Elvington.
Blue_2

Postby Tony Jarrett » Sun May 05, 2013 11:54 pm

HI
Yes Blue PO is not too bad, shes dry inside and that is where most of the work has been done to date, Providing weather is ok we are moving it within the museum this weekend so will have a new spot where we can then bring the cosford steps over.. Hopefully the weather will be kind this year and we can get quite a bit done on the fuselage outside funding allowing.
Yes splosher every penny raised goes only to the restoration , with some of the sposorships we have had and a good shop around we have been able to keep the cost down to the minimum. I think what makes a difference is we discuss and think it all through first so we do spend wisely. A good team of lads , and a lass. But we would like to recruit a couple of more people in to the team who live quite local to the museum
Any one who wishes to help through a donation to reach this years restoration targets can through the Trident website www.savethetrident.org. we really do require your kindness and help to do this
On the log front, we have now 124 ex trident pilots logs and I am confident that we can get to the 150 mark . This has already reclaimed a fifth of the hours she flew and gives a good insight to her daily travels.
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Tony Jarrett » Sun May 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi All
A most successful day at the museum yesterday with Trident PO being moved within the museum. This is a much better place for her and will allow us to bring the Cosford steps over. Go to the Save the Trident website http://www.savethetrident.org/ for the full syory and a selection of pictures of the day
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Gaz » Sun May 12, 2013 9:01 pm

Saw the post/pic on Facebook!

Tremendous work, all involved!!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Tony Jarrett » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi all
We have now successfully removed and brought back to the museum the Spey engine nacelles ,intakes and jet pipes that were on BAC1-11 ZE432 at Boscombe Down military airbase. This now gives us everything we need to complete the no1 and no3 engine nacelles.
I just want to say it was a fantastic team effort with 5 of us going down to remove them and with our remaining team members helping the unload at the museum the following day. Would like to thank Holiday inn for giving 2 of our team who drove down with the van and scaffolding theday previous a free night sleep and breckie and also HSS for letting us have the 2 x 3m towers with 70% off. And of course we would very much thank all the guys at QinetiQ who gave us the nacelles and helped us hugely on the day from sourcing 2 of the parts around the military base which wernt on the aircraft.
Such a successful day with no problems at all... and what a boost for G-ARPO
Cheers Tony
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby RLN » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Great news. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
RLN

Postby Gaz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:05 am

Brilliant news!!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Tony Jarrett » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Just wanted to update everyone with the project. A lot of things are coming together at once . please go to our website http://www.savethetrident.org/ to see all what we been doing since we last posted
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Avro683 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Excellent update and good to see work is continuing. She looks so much better than when you first saw her at Teeside.
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Gaz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:55 pm

Great update!

You guys are an inspiration to the likes of me!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Tony Jarrett » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:45 am

Yes Avro things are coming together nicely and more updates will be on our website and FB page very soon,
Looking at what you have been doing GAZ you are more than on par with us.
Thanks for every ones support to date as its that support , morale and the donations has got us to where we are.
We are also looking for more team members who can get to the museum regular as we want to speed work up through this next year.
Tony Jarrett
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Previous

Return to Restoration and Preservation News