Page 4 of 48

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:12 pm
by Iggie
Lookin' good Gaz!!

When will Dexter be allowed to help? :D

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 pm
by Gaz
Iggie wrote:Lookin' good Gaz!!

When will Dexter be allowed to help? :D



He's already been up a couple of times. Once he's walking properly, I'll get him up a ladder

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm
by Iggie
Good Man!!

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 pm
by Gaz
Gaz wrote:The weather did behave! For once!

Before:

Image


And after running out of, both, paint AND daylight:

Image


It'll need another coat or two but I'm happy with it!



PS: If anyone knows of a generous, aviation loving, paint company, let me know ;)

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 pm
by Gaz
I was on my own up there today. Most of the things that need doing require two or more so I just did some cleaning, oh yeah, someone has been smoking in the cargo hold, it stank of cigarette smoke and the floor was littered with ash and cigarette butts, I'm not impressed!!

Other than that, I measured up for my winter project. I'm going to make some new chocks. We're only using the flimsy old spring loaded ones and when the wind blows hard she don't half dance about on them!

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:12 pm
by Xplumberlives
Gaz wrote:I was on my own up there today. Most of the things that need doing require two or more so I just did some cleaning, oh yeah, someone has been smoking in the cargo hold, it stank of cigarette smoke and the floor was littered with ash and cigarette butts, I'm not impressed!!
Other than that, I measured up for my winter project. I'm going to make some new chocks. We're only using the flimsy old spring loaded ones and when the wind blows hard she don't half dance about on them!



I thought you kept the old girl locked up! So look within, it must be one of the "volunteers"!

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:16 pm
by Mackrick
Nice little update Gaz.

Any chance of some more photos showing the work thats required ...

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:34 pm
by Gaz
Xplumberlives wrote:
Gaz wrote:I was on my own up there today. Most of the things that need doing require two or more so I just did some cleaning, oh yeah, someone has been smoking in the cargo hold, it stank of cigarette smoke and the floor was littered with ash and cigarette butts, I'm not impressed!!
Other than that, I measured up for my winter project. I'm going to make some new chocks. We're only using the flimsy old spring loaded ones and when the wind blows hard she don't half dance about on them!



I thought you kept the old girl locked up! So look within, it must be one of the "volunteers"!



Yep, she is locked so it was either one of the museum curators (Who have a key) or me! I'm certain it wouldn't have been one of my lads. Only one of them smokes and he knows I'd kick his arse if he smoked in there, don't you Gregg!?!? ;)


Mackrick: I'll sort out some of the surveying photos I took and photobook them. Watch this space...

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:39 pm
by Gaz
Had a fun afternoon at Bruntingthorpe today. The RAF police were there and asked if they could plant explosives on the Guppy for the dogs to find. I said yes and connected the power so they could see what they were doing. Fascinating to watch, they were there all afternoon so I didn't get much done and the cockpit now smells like wet dog, but, I was glad I could help.

Image


I've collected some more bits of "homework". We need new pitot covers made and the intake covers could do with a sprucing up.

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:26 pm
by Saracenman
those dogs are superb aren't they? :ymapplause:

did they get their muddy paws all over your newly-cleaned areas Gaz? ;)

sm

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:07 pm
by Gaz
Saracenman wrote:those dogs are superb aren't they? :ymapplause:

did they get their muddy paws all over your newly-cleaned areas Gaz? ;)

sm



Yeah, the dogs were great. Only one missed the TNT and that was because she was only 6 months old and it was her first day.

No mud, luckily, but there is dog nose slime all over the windows!

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 pm
by Saracenman
"dog nose slime" - PERFECT description! =))

sm

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:53 am
by Dan4th
Saracenman wrote:"dog nose slime" - PERFECT description! =))

sm


AND a great name for a Band, too!

Danf.

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:10 pm
by Gaz
We have a problem:

Image


The wind blew the rudder beyond the stops. She won't move on the pedals alone. Our steps aren't 30ft high.

These things are sent to try us!!


On a lighter note. We think we have found the relays for the ground power supply. Hopefully if we change them she might run off of ground power and we won't have to keep charging the battery :)

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 pm
by Xplumberlives
Good luck!

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 pm
by Saracenman
wait for the next high wind and turn Guppy appropriately ;)

sm

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:18 pm
by Mackrick
What no gust locks ?

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:23 pm
by Gaz
Mackrick wrote:What no gust locks ?


It blew them clean off! We found them quite a way from the back of the aircraft

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:24 pm
by Mackrick
oops

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:16 pm
by Vulcan Bomber
At least she didnt take an oil barrel in the side this time!!!!!!

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:26 pm
by Gaz
Vulcan Bomber wrote:At least she didnt take an oil barrel in the side this time!!!!!!


Well, yeah! Small mercies and all that :)

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:08 am
by Spitfire
Very remiss of me - this thread has passed me by and I've never even opened it :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:

I have just read all 4 pages and it's totally fascinating :ymapplause: :ymapplause: You are doing a great job - I am really so annoyed that I live so far far far far away :)) :)) ;)
I'd love to 'play' at BIG aircraft restoration although its obviously hard work it must also be huge fun :p

I don't seem to have gleaned from the text the real answer to what those props are hanging off - did you ever find out?? Do they turn at all or are they fixed??

Anyway - more power to your elbows and keep up the good work - most impressed :D

BTW I loved that video of the cockpit electrics - looks like Fylingdale Early Warning in there :D How do you begin to understand it all ..... I have enough trouble with AC & DC :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
Oh - and MORE videos :p

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:56 am
by Saracenman
Spitfire wrote:........I have enough trouble with AC & DC :ymblushing: :ymblushing:


:-o

does the missus know about this? :ymsmug:

sm

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:46 am
by Xplumberlives
Saracenman wrote:
Spitfire wrote:........I have enough trouble with AC & DC :ymblushing: :ymblushing:


:-o

does the missus know about this? :ymsmug:

sm






Oh dear! :-o

Re: Super Guppy Restoration

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:43 pm
by Gaz
Spitfire wrote:Very remiss of me - this thread has passed me by and I've never even opened it :ymblushing: :ymblushing: :ymblushing:

I have just read all 4 pages and it's totally fascinating :ymapplause: :ymapplause: You are doing a great job - I am really so annoyed that I live so far far far far away :)) :)) ;)
I'd love to 'play' at BIG aircraft restoration although its obviously hard work it must also be huge fun :p

I don't seem to have gleaned from the text the real answer to what those props are hanging off - did you ever find out?? Do they turn at all or are they fixed??

Anyway - more power to your elbows and keep up the good work - most impressed :D

BTW I loved that video of the cockpit electrics - looks like Fylingdale Early Warning in there :D How do you begin to understand it all ..... I have enough trouble with AC & DC :ymblushing: :ymblushing:
Oh - and MORE videos :p



Thanks for the nice comments!!

It is harder work than I thought it would be, I mean, I knew it wouldn't be easy but standing out in the weather for, nearly, 15 years, has taken it's toll. We are learning as we go (The avionics manual from boeing helps!!) and having a laugh at the same time :)

The engines and gearboxes were yanked almost as soon as she landed. The props sat on the ground for a while before being hoisted up and attached to steel plate. One of them turns (The one I painted :) ) the others are fixed.