Golf....Is it a waste of a good walk....?

All sports discussion. WARNING: Result spoilers possibile in all threads!

Golf....Is it a waste of a good walk....?

Postby Ray C » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:30 pm

4 old men in a Pub need a new activity...

So, after an evening with three friends drinking large amounts of beer... We reached a decision
in view of our impending retirement, we need a new activity/sport ...Each man is between 60-65 we have all
engaged in some very active sports in out time, I myself have done fell running-mountain bikeing- wind surfing
& half marathon running....never a full marathon.

So we all concluded it's Golf....! None of us have any real Expierience so we can start off
on an equal footing, I've chosen my golf club set £350...shoes £70...& trolly £50, next we meet
at a club where we have bought a three month package, play any weekday & get 3 pro lessons
for £130, so good so far.

Something must go wrong.....! will we fallout with each other...will it lead to a divorce or two,
orrrrrrrrrr, will it open a whole new life for us....?

Comments please from existing golfers.... :-SS
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Re: Golf....Is it a waste of a good walk....?

Postby Aceyone » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:57 pm

As an ex-golfer take a bit of advice and do what I ended up doing.leave all yours clubs and balls etc at home except one club ( a wedge is recommended ) one ball ( golf variety ) one tee and a flask of Brandy ( Napoleon but Tescos value brand will suffice ) Start your game in the usual fashion except
1- DO NOT EVER COUNT YOUR STROKES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
2-DRINK COPIOUSLY AT EACH TEE-OFF
3-IF YOU LOSE YOUR BALL JUST KEEP WALKING-NEVER SEARCH FOR IT
4-MISS ANY HOLES THAT ARE OVER 50 YARDS LONG
5-IF YOU END UP IN A BUNKER,THROW THE BALL OUT
6-DRINK MORE BRANDY
7-IGNORE ALL THE COURSE RULES
If you follow these simple steps you will have a nice day :)
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Re: Golf....Is it a waste of a good walk....?

Postby MOD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Ray you will soon become hooked. All it takes is to hit that first 'Perfect' shot. It will be a fluke of course . You will then spend the rest of your golfing career trying to reproduce it. Just when you start to contemplate throwing the clubs into the lake at the 16th, guess what??? You will do it again!!! You are then HOOKED for life.

I started playing decent golf when I was 18 and then went steadily downhill. I was hooked though and the statement - 'Golf is a good walk spoiled' was never true for me. Golf took me to some stunningly memorable places that I would never have seen otherwise. Treat golf as a social activity to be enjoyed with like-minded friends and don't ever be tempted to throw your clubs in the lake.. That perfect drive could just be waiting for you at the next tee.

I had to give up the game 10 years ago when I damaged my back - but I still have my matched set of Henry Cotton clubs. You never know ;)

Ian
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Return to Grandstand