Football!

All sports discussion. WARNING: Result spoilers possibile in all threads!

Re: Football!

Postby Dee » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:00 am

Shall we pack in with the football thread then, is that what you mean?
Dee
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Aceyone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:18 am

No! I like the football thread !
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Spitfire » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:12 am

Dee wrote:Shall we pack in with the football thread then, is that what you mean?

Good lord no - far far from it - don't be so touchy - everyone must have their own interests and somewhere to talk about them with like minded people - which is presumably why this forum existed in the first place ...

But, equally there are others who find those interests either strange or boring - and each person has the right to comment ...I happen to like building and flying model aeroplanes and you probably find that nerdy, odd and strange - However, I would be more than happy to hear your views or questions on what I do - it wouldn't change anything for me just as my views on Rooney and his behaviour will change anything for you - you like football and 'follow' a particular team and I just happen to find that odd. I just can't stand football - that's just me ;) But I do have a view - like it or not.

I make no bones about the fact that - in my opinion - I find the money and 'celebrity' culture in the current football scene quite obscene and people like Rooney and his wife are examples of how its all gone very very wrong ... he should lead by example and clearly doesn't because he's too powerful in today's game - in my opinion.
Then - as has been pointed out - this has been done to death ... and I then followed that up with the fact that on most forums - this one included - most things have been done to death :p

I belong to several forums and they are all rife with differing opinions - and on most of them things keep getting chewed over as new people join with their opinions ... but - in general - forums seem to be dying off with the advent of Facebook and the like and IA is no exception - look at the posts now compared to 5 and 6 years ago...

So I shall continue building and flying my planes - you will continue following football and so the world spins on ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Aceyone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:25 am

I too ,post on various forums ie-Birdwatching/Angling/Photography/Aviation and a few others and like you ,have noticed a slight decrease in postings but I believe it's more a seasonal thing,Facebook seems to be aimed at the less mature person so I tend not to post on there ! I have noticed that a lot of Iconics don't appear to be around anymore( which is a pity )
Re football.I love the game and always have but the x-factor part of it is getting beyond a joke ,of course they are overpaid but no more so than Film Stars or other entertainers,as for Rooney I think he is a bad example and is way overated !
ps I think your hobby is a very interesting one,wouldn't mind having a go myself !
Aceyone

Postby Spitfire » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Aceyone wrote:Facebook seems to be aimed at the less mature person so I tend not to post on there !

Are you calling me 'less mature' =)) =)) =)) =))
Couldn't be more wrong Ace - you cut your cloth according to your pocket :D

I don't post much - if anything - but I do follow several very interesting Facebook microsites and 'groups' and what they do comes up on my timeline so I can easily track them and keep up to date ...
Its also been very useful for getting help with our autistic son .. its all out there and Facebook brings it all together a bit ...

If you were to go to FB and search for - lets say 'Birdwatching' there's a birdwatching Community page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birdwatching/419698664792927
But you can narrow that down to lets say - The Osprey - and there'll be a page for that too
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Osprey-Watch/321079889259

So don't dismiss it out of hand on 'hearsay' - have a look around it - I mean even XH558 has several pages devoted to her - bless her ...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/28651881674/

Man Utd has one too and look who their main picture is ... :p
https://www.facebook.com/manchesterunited

Facebook has its place - its just HOW you use it ... ;)

Aceyone wrote: ps I think your hobby is a very interesting one,wouldn't mind having a go myself !

Nothing stopping you - ask any questions you want - I've been doing it 50 years - lots of fly out of the box options for most budgets now so you don't even have to build stuff :D :D

Sorry this thread has gone off topic now because of me ... back to Football ...sorry
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Dee » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:32 pm

I love football as has been noted ;) Rooney i think is a reasonably good footballer but as with most he is way overpaid. Also love Birdwatching and in the past was known to shoot off at a moments notice to twitch birds within a 3 hour radius B-) Also love fishing and have taken it up again this year after too many years without X( As for plane modelling im too heavy handed with no patience to even have a go! ~x(
Dee

Postby Aceyone » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:25 pm

Well I do use Facebook occasionally,I have lots of nieces/nephews who are always sending me notices they have posted,it's just that I find that there seems to be no moderator types to control the language and content but I agree it does have it's good points too !
Off topic but years ago ( on Jan 1st ) we drove down to Firle Beacon on The South Downs ,we parked in the car-park and watched as a lot of people were flying RC Model aircraft ,unpowered glider types,well one middle aged chap pulled up in his car,got out and watched the flying for a while then opened his car boot and extracted a fairly large Model Aircraft,after a bit of fiddling with wings etc,( I got the impression it was perhaps a Xmas present ) he launched the thing into the wide blue yonder then frantically groped with the control box as the aircraft done a very graceful turn and promptly crashed into one of the few fence-posts around ! the funny thing was everyone around ( including us) looked the other way to spare his embarrassment ,until his wife started laughing ,then he saw the funny side of it and laughed himself and so did most of the other flyers ,then a few started chatting to him and all was serene .All this is leading to a question-how do you learn to fly one for the first time without the risk of serious damage to your lovingly constructed model ?
Aceyone

Postby Spitfire » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 pm

Aceyone wrote:All this is leading to a question-how do you learn to fly one for the first time without the risk of serious damage to your lovingly constructed model ?

See the new thread - this thread can go back to Football :D :p
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Sooty655 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:01 pm

Well, it looks like Acey's guys might make some progress in the cup, but my lot are in for another 6-0 defeat. :( :( :(
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Aceyone » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:36 pm

Sooty655 wrote:Well, it looks like Acey's guys might make some progress in the cup, but my lot are in for another 6-0 defeat. :( :( :(

I think not,our cup history is appalling ,your lot are up against it as well !
Aceyone

Postby Dee » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:34 pm

The way United are performing we will probably be beaten by Accy Stanley!!
Dee

Postby Spitfire » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Dee wrote:The way United are performing we will probably be beaten by Accy Stanley!!

That reminded me of the old advert ...

And it prompted me to have a look at the name ...and I came across this...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/05/james-beattie-accrington-stanley-league-two

Full marks to the chap :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
a club with the lowest attendances and smallest playing budget in the Football League - The average player wage at the club is around £400 a week

“If you strip it all down, the annual playing budget is under £500,000. Radamel Falcao’s wages are £300,000 a week – that’s how much Accrington Stanley lose a year. It doesn’t seem right, really.”
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Dee » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Accy lost so we meet Yeovil. Probably lose to them now!! ;)
Dee

Postby Sooty655 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:18 pm

At last, some positive action at The Valley.

Perhaps the energy will rub off on the team, Ace. :) :)
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Aceyone » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Sooty655 wrote:At last, some positive action at The Valley.

Perhaps the energy will rub off on the team, Ace. :) :)

Well they scored 3 times today ;)
Aceyone

Previous

Return to Grandstand