Formula One 2009 Season (Result Spoilers Possible)

All sports discussion. WARNING: Result spoilers possibile in all threads!

Re: Formula One

Postby Mayfly » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Sorry don't know anything about Ross Brawn could some one enlighten me please?
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby IanM » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Ross Brawn (born November 23, 1954) is a British motorsport engineer. He has worked for a number of Formula One teams, latterly as the technical director of the championship-winning Benetton Formula and Scuderia Ferrari teams. He took a sabbatical from the sport in 2007, but returned to F1 for the 2008 season as Team Principal of Honda F1. He is currently owner of the Brawn GP team, which acquired the Honda team in early 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Brawn
Ian

Image Image
IanM
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Postby Tom.com » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:09 pm

when is the first race?
No, I am a fairy
↑ÔΜ•€Øm

Tom.com
Lockheed Constellation
Lockheed Constellation

Also Known As: tomdotcom247

Postby Spitfire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Tom.com wrote:when is the first race?

:-o :-o

Have a look here Tom - there's some detail on Ross Brawn and another countdown clock to the first race :D :D

These 2009 cars are looking stunning - here's the new BrawnGP

The front wing is so much wider - and the rear so much smaller - and I love the new pencil slim shape of the front to where the engine starts B-) B-)

Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Saracenman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:40 pm

???

i thought that this year's cars:

a) had groove-less slick tyres?

b) no aerodynamic gizmoid bits 'n' bobs?

confuzzed

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody

Postby Tom.com » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:41 pm

the 2nd pic had the slicks
No, I am a fairy
↑ÔΜ•€Øm

Tom.com
Lockheed Constellation
Lockheed Constellation

Also Known As: tomdotcom247

Postby Saracenman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:43 pm

both both have the aero-gizmoids! :p
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Spitfire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 pm

2009 rule changes in a nutshell......
On 22 December 2006, the FIA released technical regulations for the 2009 season. These have been revised several times to accomodate the findings of the Overtaking Working Group (formed in response to concerns that wheel-to-wheel racing was becoming increasingly rare) and the increasing need for cost-cutting in the sport in the wake of the economic crisis.

* Slick tyres will return for the first time since they were banned for the 1998 season. Bridgestone will continue to be the sole supplier of tyres, and drivers will still have to use both compounds of tyre during a race. These compounds are differentiated by a green marking around the sides of the tyres, rather than a white marking in a groove as used in 2008.
* The aerodynamic regulations have been radically altered for the 2009 season. Front wings will be lower and wider, while rear wings will be much higher and narrower. This makes the 2009 cars strikingly different in appearance from those of previous seasons, and several drivers have expressed concerns that the larger front wings could trigger more accidents; especially at the start of Grands Prix when the cars are racing close to each other. As well as the changes in the dimensions of the wings, bodywork will be much more regulated with many of the additional components seen in previous seasons effectively outlawed (including barge boards, winglets, turning vanes, chimneys, viking horns and dumbo ears), the diffuser at the rear of the car has been moved back and upwards. Many other minor chassis components have also been standardised. The aim of the new aerodynamic regulations, as well as the reintroduction of slick tyres, is to decrease reliance on aerodynamic downforce and increase mechanical grip with the aim of making wheel-to-wheel racing easier.

The front wing is lower than ever before.

* For the first time, cars will be allowed to use driver adjustable bodywork, in the form of adjustable flaps in the front wing. The flaps can be adjusted by up to six degrees, limited to only two adjustments per lap.
* Along with changes to bodywork and tyre size, the 2006 document includes details of a "Kinetic Energy Recovery System". This is a regenerative braking device designed to recover some of the vehicle's kinetic energy, which is normally dissipated as heat during braking. The recovered energy can be stored electrically, in a battery or supercapacitor, or mechanically, in a flywheel, for use as a source of additional accelerative power at the driver's discretion by way of a "boost button" on the steering wheel. The regulations limit the additional power to around 82 hp for six seconds a lap. The regulations do not make this compulsory, and due to concerns about both limited performance gains and safety implications many teams are believed to be unlikely to use the new KERS systems for at least the start of the 2009 season .
* While it was reported in 2008 that the FIA were planning on introducing a budget cap to limit the amount of spending by Formula One teams, the amount was not agreed upon and the budget cap idea was dropped. Instead, costs will be brought down by an almost total ban on in-season testing, a forced reduction in wind tunnel usage, the sharing of more data during race weekends, and an increased minimum engine lifespan: the engine will have to last for three races, instead of two in 2008.

The rear wing is higher and thinner.

* Each driver will be limited to a maximum of 8 engines throughout the season, in addition to four engines for practice/testing purposes. To aid improvements in reliability, the engines will be detuned from 19,000RPM to 18,000RPM.
* On 27 January 2009, the FIA announced that the rule stating that the pit lane is closed during a Safety Car period will be scrapped in 2009. The rule was introduced in 2007 to avoid people rushing back to the pits to refuel, possibly speeding through a danger zone, but software has been successfully developed to solve this problem.

So what they have outlawed aerodynamically are mainly barge boards - those stupid sprouting winglets and Dumbo ears all over the place - so any 'gizmoids' you can see are obviously legal - although personally I can't see any - the cars are MUCH cleaner looking :ymapplause:

just look at how clean the BMW is .....

Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Saracenman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:14 pm

it has a real eighties look about it- turbos back next i hope! :D
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Spitfire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:23 pm

The one thing I really admire about F1 designers is that no matter what rule changes they bring in to slow things down the designers just go back to the drawing board and get the speed back another way ;)

I mean how many times have we seen last years lap record be broken even after a set of 'slowing down' rule changes ... and you can bet your bottom dollar it'll happen again this year :p :D

and I don't know about the 80s look SM - here's the Renault RS01 - a bulky looking beast ... but I sort of see what you're saying .... ish ;)

Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Saracenman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:25 pm

ish..............i can handle ish! =))
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Wedgy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Shame it took F1 years to realise that A1 GP were onto a winner.

A1 were the first with smaller rear wings, boost etc etc ...

"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby Saracenman » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:31 pm

Wedgy wrote:A1 were the first with smaller rear wings, boost etc etc ...
]

=)) =)) =))

at first glance, i misread that!

"boots" ????? since when has an F1 car had a boot? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Postby Spitfire » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:33 pm

That's amazing Wedgy ... :-o I suppose the original design idea has to come from somewhere ... and if you look at all this years F1 cars they are all remarkably similar - again :D :p
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:00 am

Saracenman wrote:
]

=)) =)) =))

Copey Dunt!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Forumla One

Postby Ducati Boy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:21 pm

Mayfly wrote:bet that was the last time I went to a grandprix the atmosphere was electric -not the since they moved the British GP to Silverstone, still like to keep my eye on things & wish Lewis all the best though

F1 British GP is moving to Castle Donington soon. Silverstone is being heavily modified to accomodate the motorcycle MotoGP from, I think, 2010 on. :D
Those F1 fans who have not seen Donington, the track is superb, but good luck with the access,egress, viewing facilities, toilets and food and parking, they are worse than Silverstone used to be. :(
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Spitfire wrote:Well done Ross Brawn - looking good :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

http://www.brawngp.com/

Agreed. I cant wait for the start :D
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:40 am

with 2 weeks to go the news this morning says Lewis is struggling with his new car with some very poor times & has crashed it again yesterday ............ :(
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Xplumberlives » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:43 am

Mayfly wrote:with 2 weeks to go the news this morning says Lewis is struggling with his new car with some very poor times & has crashed it again yesterday ............ :(

He's just getting a feel for the new car, I'm sure he will get it sorted! :ymapplause:
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Nickolas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 am

Xplumberlives wrote:
Saracenman wrote:
]

=)) =)) =))

Copey Dunt!

Spell checker switched off then eh??????????
Chief Constable of the Forum Police
Proud parent of Tom.com & King Willy.
Chairman of 309 (Sawbridgeworth) Sqn Association Committee
Owner of Stanley Schnauzer....
Nickolas
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Dad to Cllr TDC

Postby Hungry Haggis » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Mayfly wrote:with 2 weeks to go the news this morning says Lewis is struggling with his new car with some very poor times & has crashed it again yesterday ............ :(

From the McLaren website the official output from Barcelona on Hamilton's day yesterday.
Lewis joined the test this morning as the team began working through a series of pitstop practices. The morning session was spent introducing Lewis to the new aero package and setting up the car to his liking. That work continued into the afternoon, with the team focusing on longer runs and additional pitstop practices. Running was hampered by an off at Turn Two at mid-afternoon: Lewis lost the car at the exit of the second corner and hit a tyre-barrier, which broke off a front-wing endplate and damaged the nose struts. After some repairs to the front-end, he was able to complete the remainder of the session. Damage said to be only superficial Now wheres that Support XH558 sticker i sent down :((
And here some pics of the Car.Note the Camera mount on top of the Air intake not on the side as before.
EDit here OK I looked at different team car with the winglet on the side .Teach me to listen more to what Neil Oatley gives me on the Phone .And if you don't know who that is ,He's the designer.Although with standardization of parts engines etc he won't have much to do soon
http://www.mclaren.com/f1season/2009/launch/gallery.php

Edit to add the Specs for the future Will these bring back overtaking or just close up the procession http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/mclar ... rticle=245
Last edited by Hungry Haggis on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hungry Haggis

Postby IanM » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Camera has always been on the top.

Last years car...

Ian

Image Image
IanM

Also Known As: spitfire-ian

Postby Spitfire » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Yeah camera has been mounted exactly like that for several seasons - and is coloured differently for the 2 cars - I think one is red the other yellow to tell the drivers apart without looking for car numbers.

Lewis is obviously trying to find where the 'ragged edge' is - as he always seems to drive very close to that point :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Nickolas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Spitfire wrote:Yeah camera has been mounted exactly like that for several seasons - and is coloured differently for the 2 cars - I think one is red the other yellow to tell the drivers apart without looking for car numbers.

Lewis is obviously trying to find where the 'ragged edge' is - as he always seems to drive very close to that point :D

Bit like Gilles Villeneuve then
Chief Constable of the Forum Police
Proud parent of Tom.com & King Willy.
Chairman of 309 (Sawbridgeworth) Sqn Association Committee
Owner of Stanley Schnauzer....
Nickolas
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Dad to Cllr TDC

Postby Mackrick » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:31 am

All F1 cars are required to be fitted with two cameras or camera housings which are used to provide on-board TV footage. F1 cars have six camera mounting points. Size and details of camera housings are specified by the FIA. The vehicles must also carry timing transponder provided by the officially appointed timekeepers. The equipments enable the timekeepers to record lap time of every car.

As for the cameras, one of these must always be mounted on top of the air box right behind the driver's head. The FIA decides about the second housing after consulting the teams. All camera housings should be determined in the specified manner. However any decision as to whether a camera or camera housing is fitted in those positions will depend on the team. Camera of dummy camera fitted in some specific positions must be mounted in such a way that its major axis does not subtend an angle greater than 5° to the reference plane.
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede
Mackrick

PreviousNext

Return to Grandstand