iconic AIRCRAFT

All site related news and updates posted here
Forum rules
New topics created by admin and moderators only please.
Feel free to reply to any unlocked topics.

iconic AIRCRAFT

Postby Garryashdown » Tue May 12, 2015 7:54 am

IF as the title says "ICONIC AIRCRAFT" - Why are there more comments about trains than aircraft? Have these comments jumped in from a sister "LOCOMOTIVES" site ?????
Garryashdown
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Also Known As: garryash

Re: iconic AIRCRAFT

Postby Ray C » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 am

Interesting observation, it would seem the forum has lost a large number of aircraft viewers/posters,
Hopefully with the start of aircraft events we will see some new activity.

I have to say I find (Farcebook) more user friendly when posting images.
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Spitfire » Tue May 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Personally I'm losing interest in forums overall - I belong to a few but I find I am visiting them all less and less as the new media of Facebook and Twitter feeds are beginning to take over...

There are some astounding Facebook sites for all manner of interests - most are much more targetted and less generalised than the average forum ..

Just as one example - I have always had a penchant for the Spitfire - but my tastes are specific and I only like the earlier marks - I can't stand low backs - bubble canopies - clipped wings - extended wings - pointed fins etc etc - I am drawn to Mark V and IX and MH434 is the specific one I love ... and lo and behold The Old Flying Machine Company where MH434 lives doesn't have a forum - but it DOES have its own Facebook page - and very good it is too... https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldflyingmachineco/ The rule there is that you can only post about MH434 and Ferocious Frankie .. brilliant:)

But there's also some brilliant general Spitfire pages like - 'Spitfire National Treasure' https://www.facebook.com/search/str/spitfire%2C%20britain%27s%20national%20treasure/keywords_top

Also the twitter feeds are brilliant - I don't tweet myself but by following say the BBMF and also the Red Arrows you get up the minute news as it happens and some stunning pictures ...

So forums are dying - they are too general and stuff gets trawled over time and time again as new people ask questions about things that have been discussed many many times before but they can't be arsed to use the search facility :) (me included :)))

The train stuff on here is really interesting and I've loved following the scale builds and I've learned loads - and I have thoroughly enjoyed the diversification - but as a forum its pretty much had its day I think - I don't mean that derogatorily I just mean that the new media has overtaken it - so no disrespect to Wedgy or the membership intended.

Some modern forums are going down a route of complete tunnel vision - you can only post about the forum subject - no jokes - no chit chat - no games ... just one thing - and that can also be counter productive as it can get very 'geeky'... I suppose that flies in the face of what I've just said about tailored Facebook pages :p - but when you've been used to forums being diverse its difficult to assimilate a very narrow forum ... although narrow Facebook pages are ok as I suppose you expect that with Facebook but not with a forum.

So I still prefer Facebook and Twitter now - its such a WIDE medium and can also be targeted or general ... very versatile :ymapplause:
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ray C » Tue May 12, 2015 6:59 pm

I agree David with the Facebook defined pages/forums in so much as I've whittled out a lot of personal friends
and aqainetnses....after all who wants a picture of their breakfast @ a Cumbrian B&B or little Gemma dolled up
@ 6 to look like 16...! Facebook for me is now a conduit to my interest/hobbies.

However I know many senior folk who hate Facebook and will not go near it [-x
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Postby Wedgy » Tue May 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Forums are pretty much old hat now and have been for some years now. Facebook, Twitter and other social media offer so much more and in a much better format. I think Spitfire sums it up very nicely - it burned so brightly in its time, but IA is just enjoying retirement years now.

But, as I've said many a time - Iconic Aircraft will be around for as long as people want it to be around. While funding still ticks over, it can be used to talk about Aircraft, locomotives or even budgie breeding for all I care - as long as people still enjoy signing into this little corner of the internet :D
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Postby Spitfire » Wed May 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Ray C wrote:However I know many senior folk who hate Facebook and will not go near it [-x

Well that's their loss then - and more fool them - this particular 'senior folk' loves it :D :D

As you say you have to ignore the attention seekers who post something to get a response .. like 'Feeling glum' and everyone's supposed to say 'What's up?' ... then there's the 'Share if you love your daughter' brigade ... the inference being that if you don't share etc etc etc - I just ignore those too ... ;)

BUT - I do get to check out - and share in - what my daughter's doing in Hampshire - my son at Falmouth Uni - and also avidly follow all my various interests and hobbies - and look up anything new and interesting - there's pages and groups for pretty much anything ... it's a whole new world and if used in a tailored way is totally amazing as a resource :D :D

MMmmm :-? Budgie breeding :-? Now there's an idea :)) :))
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Sooty655 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:27 am

He said "budgie breading" ~ it's a culinary page.

Breakfast, anyone? :)) :))

Interesting that the original complainant has only made 18 posts in total, and less than half are aircraft related. Most used topic ~ what SSD drive?. :-? :-?
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Spitfire » Thu May 14, 2015 8:16 pm

Sooty655 wrote:Interesting that the original complainant has only made 18 posts in total, and less than half are aircraft related. Most used topic ~ what SSD drive?. :-? :-?

:)) :)) :)) Yes 10 of 18 on non Iconic Aircraft posts = 55%

Well spotted Sooty =)) =))
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Kermit » Fri May 15, 2015 11:37 am

=)) =))
well if locomotives attract criticism, imagine the flak cooking would unleash !
As far as I am concerned, long live IA and the more diverse the better :D
Kermit
Boeing B-29 Superfortress
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Also Known As: jocelyn

Postby Garryashdown » Fri May 15, 2015 7:07 pm

In response to SOOTY655 - Am I correct in saying that the "other" posts I made related to problems other users were having with their computers - that they use to access this site!
Garryashdown
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Also Known As: garryash

Postby Sooty655 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Garryashdown wrote:In response to SOOTY655 - Am I correct in saying that the "other" posts I made related to problems other users were having with their computers - that they use to access this site!

Various computer problems, none of which appear to have had anything to do with accessing this site. I'm not sure how your conversations about computers are any more "iconic aircraft" relevant than my, and others, conversations about model engineering.
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Return to News and Updates