Brunty...Twilight run

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

Brunty...Twilight run

Postby Ray C » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:17 pm

What a superb event...The weather was kind as well, my congratulations to all the
staff & members &&&&&&&& Pilot.

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image

[*]Image
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Re: Brunty...Twilight run

Postby Spitfire » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:31 pm

I've been lucky enough to get up close and personal with the Brunty Lightnings and it's not till you do that you realise things like ... what a total Heath Robinson jury rig that refuelling probe is - how it gets in the way when you are climbing up the ladder - how mind blowingly narrow the main wheel tyres are (I was told - and shown - how one crosswind reheat run shredded 2 main tyres completely) - how high up the cockpit actually is ...

I was lucky enough to see a very early 'scramble' too - starting up and leaving from the QRA apron - taxi to the runway and reheat run ... amazing ....

More power to the boys who maintain them - no lottery money for them or endless pledge requests - all their own very hard work ;)

Here's a video montage I did a long time back showing what dedication and hard work can do ...

It originally had music - but YT took it off - and since I did this the QRA is now completely finished with heating and lighting etc etc but I never got round to updating the video :p ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ray C » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:38 pm

I agree re the probe David...I watched the public & maintainance teams bending double
to pass it on the ladder, I suspect it's position is due to a "crammed" fusealarge... ;)
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Spitfire » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Ray C wrote:I agree re the probe David...I watched the public & maintenance teams bending double
to pass it on the ladder, I suspect it's position is due to a "crammed" fusealarge... ;)

It's like someone has bolted on a large scaffolding pole in the middle of nowhere ...

Here's their Lightning XS904 in flight showing the 'add on' and it's precarious attachment :D

Someone like me, who is 'big boned', has a hell of a job sliding under it to get to the cockpit :p What it was like in full flying gear I dread to think :( The ladder has to go over the missile then under the probe :D :D

The LPG boys have added (welded on) a nifty little additional platform to the right of the top of the ladder (you can see it just above the probe) so someone can stand back behind the cockpit and assist the incoming pilot as he comes up ;)

Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Dee » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Brilliant pics and always a good day!!
Dee
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby LightningMk6 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:41 pm

You got used to sliding past the refuelling probe, it was not a problem. The additional ladder shelf was fitted for the purpose of cockpit tours, where the person giving a talk could stand there and get a good view of the cockpit. It also helped us older Lightning guys bridge the gap from ladder to wing when changing the main battery, and also with health and safety in mind was a good move.
if it's working, leave well alone
LightningMk6
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Spitfire » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm

I've just found the photos of me in the cockpit of XS904 back in 2010 when she'd just done a reheat run - everything smelled lovely - and it IS a long way up - and also a not so good photo (colour banding issues) of me as the 'brakeman' (yeah right!) being pushed back with the tug ...

Such a good day - what brilliant hosts the whole team are - I had such a good time and felt so very special to be part of it ... BIG respect to the LPG :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ray C » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:49 pm

You lucky sod.....
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Spitfire » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:28 am

No not really luck - just got chatting to one of the LPG boys on here and before you know it I was invited up to Brunty and it all just fell into place .....

Yeah - thinking about it - you're right - it was REALLY lucky :D :D :D :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows