RNAS Culdrose - 31/7/14

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

RNAS Culdrose - 31/7/14

Postby Spitfire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:29 pm

Didn't pay to go in but those very nice people at Sainsbury's let us park in their car park for nothing for 2 hours to see some of the highlights ... all taken only on my iphone -all I had with me ...

2 Hunters with a Canberra ... excellent display - as a 3 then separately ... EXCELLENT :ymapplause:

XH558 ... VERY VERY tame display - disappointing and very short ... no real noise - not much of anything really - so glad I didn't pay to see it :p Beaten into a cocked hat by the Hunters and Canberra ;) :D

Also a Spit and Hurricane displayed together - not BBMF - but photos not good enough :(

Blades dispay team were EXCELLENT ... no photos we were in the cafe at the time :p
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Re: RNAS Culdrose - 31/7/14

Postby Mayfly » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:25 pm

In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Spitfire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:58 pm

Some stills from some enterprising photographer - my friend, who was there, says they were fettling the engine all day in the hangar before it flew and it was running rough throughout - then there was an almighty bang and plumes of smoke ... the wheels were not quite ready for it's arrival and they collapsed ...

Well done to the pilot :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:33 am

An excellent vid here

Looks like the gear wasn't locked down unfortunately. Excellent piloting there, he did a very good job of getting her down.

Sorry for taking over your thread Spitfire. What is Culdrose runway length?
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Spitfire » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:44 am

No problem MF - this was a development after I put up my few photos from Sainsbury's car park :p - we were long gone home by the time this happened ...

My mate (and his wife and 8 month old baby) who were there were stuck stationary in the exiting traffic queue for 2 hours - apparently a child went missing (eventually found ok) and they were searching every car on exit ... Didn't get back to us till well after 6.30 pm :(

That's the video I was looking for because, from the photos I'd found, I was surprised that the wheels didn't deploy - now I can now see that the hydraulics were probably shot as the wheels seemed to come down only by gravity but were just dangling there and not locked ... He was very lucky to get serviceable flaps though - that slowed him down a treat.
Excellent landing :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

My mate (who is in 'the know') was telling me that that was a pretty new engine and they've been having trouble with it since it was installed ... they won't have any more trouble with it now ;) :p

I will take this opportunity to just big up the Canberra display again ... it was really excellent - and at full chat he set off all the car alarms in Sainsbury's .. the Hunter pair were also top notch .. none of them messed about and there was no pussyfooting - full on display from all of them. \:D/

Culdrose runways ...

07/25 1,028 metres (3,373 ft) Asphalt
12/30 1,831 metres (6,007 ft) Asphalt
18/36 1,051 metres (3,448 ft) Asphalt
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows