Arrivals day at Waddington,

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

Arrivals day at Waddington,

Postby Ray C » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:09 pm

I'm getting myself over for arrivals day again this year, fingers crossed we have some
great weather like 2013, anyone else there amongst the (wall to wall photographers)....?
Be yourself...everyone else is taken...!
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Castle boy

Re: Arrivals day at Waddington,

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:32 pm

I'll be there :D .
Plus we'll probably lurk round the back roads (depending on runway in use) on Wednesday too, like we did last year, as there was no room in the WAVE (the permanent viewing area). There's some good things arriving then, including the Vulcan apparently and the Turkish A400M, which I'm looking forward too. But that will depend on times, if it arrives at 8am then I'll just watch from the kitchen :)) Also if they're spaced out through out the day like they probably will be, then we won't stop all day like Fridays arrivals.

Hopefully the long term forecast I saw earlier will be different come Sunday :)) although I don't mind it being a bit cooler/cloudy. Wednesday looks to be the best day, it's apparently going to get progressively more cloudy as the week goes on, could be totally different though.
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Lincoln, Hiho, Helen

Postby Mayfly » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:18 am

I'm only going Sunday this year but we are in the Bomber Harris chalet, like you Helen if it's a bit cooler I won't complain. If it's poor for photos then I'll actually watch the a/c instead of viewing through the viewfinder!
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Me too, be interesting to see what the forecast will be Saturday evening and what we'll wake up to Sunday, It's already changed from what I saw yesterday :)) .

I'm still trying to decide which car park to aim for, as last year for a change we came in via Bardney/Nocton/A15 and ended up in the Yellow one, I think it was, which was almost at the end of the runway :)) But, it was actually a really good spot, we could stay with the car (after we'd been on a 2 mile hike to the statics/stalls :)) there are buses but they all seemed to be full so we just walked, it was easier) which you can't do in the Blue car park (off the 607 from Bracebridge/Lincoln direction) as the hangar is in the way and you can't see any flying. I don't think any of the other car parks are an option based on the roads we'd come in on. I'd love a space in the Orange one (crowd line), but that's not possible as far as I can see unless I'm missing something.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, Friday and Sunday :D \:D/
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Postby Mayfly » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:55 am

Helen have you seen a map of the airfield showing car parks? I can't find one, I thought there was one on the Waddington web site

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:54 am

Funnily enough I was looking for one last night as I was writing that post to check on what colours they were and I couldn't find one either, I even resorted to searching google images with zero success. There was definitely a map last year but doesn't seem to be anything this year, odd. Plus the air show web site is taking ages to load for me.
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Postby Mayfly » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:03 pm

The website is down now.

Mayfly

Postby Apollo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 pm

P-8 inbound Waddington to land :)
The cafe was called "Tattoos". The fella who owned it didn't have any tattoos... but we never saw his wife.
Apollo
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Ray C » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:15 am

Have I got this right....558 Is now at Waddington and not arriving Friday....? :(
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Apollo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:16 am

Ray C wrote:Have I got this right....558 Is now at Waddington and not arriving Friday....? :(

Yes.
The cafe was called "Tattoos". The fella who owned it didn't have any tattoos... but we never saw his wife.
Apollo
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Mayfly » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:03 am

I guess she went in yesterday so is there for the press day because she spent rather a long time in the air yesterday doing formation flights with the Blades for raffle winners.

In fact it was stated on UKar that all the best a/c arrived yesterday and that has been my experience in previous years, Turkish Stars - Thunderbirds - Korean Black Eagles all arrived early in the week previous years along with their support a/c.

Mayfly

Postby Ray C » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:18 am

Apollo wrote:
Ray C wrote:Have I got this right....558 Is now at Waddington and not arriving Friday....? :(

Yes.

Blast....I was particularly looking forward to exerciseing my 400mm lens on her in flight.... :(
I can only do arrivals day, fingers crossed for other "winged wonders".... :)
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Apollo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:47 am

2xSwiss F-18's on 250.850 inbound
Apollo
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:56 am

Plus the Canberra/Hunter arrive today as does the F-18 which were what I was hoping to see but can't unless I catch a glimpse from afar.
At least the Sweeds are due in tomorrow \:D/ . Although it is a shame the gnat trio aren't scheduled get there till after they shut the PAVE (about 6pm I've read. PAVE shuts at 5pm) :(

The F-18s have arrived, I just heard something as I was typing so I'm just assuming :))
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Postby Apollo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 am

Patrulla Aspa (Spanish helicopter team) currently over Thetford on FR24 (MARTI1)
Apollo
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:34 am

That was the Turkish Navy Casa CN-235 just past my kitchen :))
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Postby Apollo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:41 am

I'm an idiot :ymblushing:
Apollo
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby Ray C » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Hihonyr8811 wrote:Plus the Canberra/Hunter arrive today as does the F-18 which were what I was hoping to see but can't unless I catch a glimpse from afar.
At least the Sweeds are due in tomorrow \:D/ . Although it is a shame the gnat trio aren't scheduled get there till after they shut the PAVE (about 6pm I've read. PAVE shuts at 5pm) :(

The F-18s have arrived, I just heard something as I was typing so I'm just assuming :))

So.... Arrivals day has all but happend, especially as "Cold War Aircraft" are concerned.... ~x(
Can anyone give me an idea what's left for Friday....? I suppose we could be treated to some
pre show rehearsals....? @-)
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 pm

The Swedish historic flight are due tomorrow afternoon, that's more than worth going to see IMO \:D/
I do wish the Gnats were coming a little earlier though :( as they are my favourite jet (sorry 558 :)) ) especially the Yellowjacks one :X
I have to admit though, it's one of the first years that so much has come in on the Thursday, I can;t remember it being busy like this for a while. Hopefully there will still be plenty of things arriving tomorrow though. I did see a list on twitter but I can't find who posted it now.

Apollo wrote:I'm an idiot :ymblushing:

Not at all :) they were definitely on their way as they came over Waddington as I was passing on the way to Sleaford \:D/ \:D/
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Postby Ray C » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks Helen...Might see you there....I'm the bloke in the red & white striped T shirt... :p
Oscar Wilde.
Ray C
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:07 pm

What, no stripped wolly hat too :p =))

I'll be the one parked by the toilets =)) with out fail we are always by the blumming loos ~x( :))
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Postby Mayfly » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Ray C wrote:
Hihonyr8811 wrote:Plus the Canberra/Hunter arrive today as does the F-18 which were what I was hoping to see but can't unless I catch a glimpse from afar.

So.... Arrivals day has all but happend, especially as "Cold War Aircraft" are concerned.... ~x(
Can anyone give me an idea what's left for Friday....? I suppose we could be treated to some
pre show rehearsals....? @-)

Try this it may help....

http://chrisglobe.co.uk/raf-waddington-airshow-2014-arrivals/

Mayfly

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows