Emotions and throat lumps ...

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

Emotions and throat lumps ...

Postby Spitfire » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:42 am

Whilst it's quiet I would like to share something ...

I am a very emotional person inside - things get to me, sometimes quite deeply, and I have to say I cry very easily at emotional films and things like seeing people get nice surprises on TV ...

But one of my all time lump in the throat emotion filled moments is actually a dramatic pause - a specific dramatic pause of only 2 or 3 seconds - but in that short time I feel like I am going to burst - because I know what's coming and I look around me and there are those nearby who don't ... but soon will.....

"Ladies and gentlemen - we are proud to present the Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team ..................

THE RED ARROWS"

And they come over your head from behind, relatively low, trailing smoke... and I am filling up even typing this ....soppy sod :D :p

Not the best example... but you get the drift ....

The magic of it is in their impeccable timing - the commentator - usually RED 10 - knows they will appear to the second and can get that pause JUST right .... sends shivers down my spine every time...

There was a time after the disaster at Ramstein where elf'n'safety stopped it and they entered from the side - it was NEVER the same and I am glad to see common sense has prevailed and they are back to that most dramatic of entrances... I try so hard NOT to look back - preferring to savour the entrance as it's supposed to be - but I suppose I invariably glance back - perhaps just to see those around me who don't know what's coming and enjoying their reactions ;)

I never really enjoy seeing the Vulcan arrive for the same reason - it invariably comes in slow from the left or right you can see it for ages .. nice though it is ... But imagine if it arrived like the Reds and did a power climb from an overhead arrival - coal being shovelled on - black smoke streaming ... chest vibrating ... that would be stunning... It's only got 2 years left - the hours and throttle movements can't be that critical anymore - get some BIG throttle action like it used to in the RAF display days. Go out with a bang ....

Not from overhead - but this is my FAVOURITE climb out of all time .... wheels down - airbrakes out - full dirty landing configuration - whistle quiet exit as she cleans up .... THEN .....

Anyway there we are ... musings of an emotionally charged old man ... :D ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Re: Emotions and throat lumps ...

Postby Mayfly » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:38 pm

Interesting because DT's log book shows the only display 19th Sep 1992 was at Finningly.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Spitfire » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:58 pm

Mayfly wrote:Interesting because DT's log book shows the only display 19th Sep 1992 was at Finningly.

I have no doubt his log book is absolutely perfect as he was 'there' so to speak - so don't shoot the messenger :D I was commenting on the type of flying not the venue ....which was obviously a cock up by the film maker whoever he is ;)

I DO remember that I was due to go to Cranfield on 20th September as that was my 40th birthday ... but I was thwarted as I was secretly 'advised' that my mother had arranged a 'surprise' birthday party in Herefordshire and it would be a shame if I wasn't 'at it' so to speak .... So I had to miss XH558's last public display... even though she did fly once more on her transit to Brunty in March the following year.

Sadly I don't think I'd travel very far to see her fly now ... it's all very very silly the amount of money that's been spent and the way the displays are so heavily 'managed' .. Kev's wingovers are the only real excitement now :D :p

Oh for a DT power climb on full thrutch :ymapplause:
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Jigsaw » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:54 pm

I know exactly what you mean about arriving from behind mate (I am being serious for once) and I too think The Reds arrival is much better now it is as it used to be.
There are probably some on here that do remember Vulcans (yes plural) arriving in just that way. I have very clear memories of just that on at least one occasion at the Marham families days of my childhood. Two or maybe three Vulcans arrived behind the crowd under the cover of the officers quarters, didn't hear or see them until they let their presence be known with a deafening roar as they flew overhead. It was awesome to say the least and I too wish 558 would do this for the remainder of her flying career.
This was obviously in the days of Lightnings etc and proper noise :D
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Spitfire » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 pm

I know what you mean - I was lucky enough to go with my family to visit my uncle who was on Akrotiri in Cyprus in 1970 and we would be on a beach with no one around but us (funnily enough it was called Ayia Napa :p ) and suddenly all hell would break loose as the Vulcans and Lightnings arrived home - coming in over the beaches VERY low to scare us as they knew we'd be there ..... :D Spine tingling ... :p ;) :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Aceyone » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Good post Spits and I agree with everything you said !
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Spitfire » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 pm

That film of XH558 above - albeit in the wrong place :p - is THE most stunning piece of display flying I think I've ever seen .... talk about showing off all the capabilities of a plane ....it's a total emotional masterpiece ...

A beautiful curved descending entrance ....

A very low stable landing approach with everything hanging out ...

The extremely subtle change to the clean up and smooth transit away ...

The brief whisper silence ....

and then B A N G the awesome power of that climb :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[and those that know me will realise that I don't use the word 'awesome' as a superlative very often ;) ]

Let's see it again......turn your volume up....imagine your whole ribcage vibrating like it used to ...

I've watched this clip hundreds and hundreds of times ... never tire of it ...It IS truly AWESOME :p ;)

Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Crew chief » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 am

Great days indeed, great pilots flying great aircraft I fear we will not see their like again. :ymapplause:

CC.
I only do it with a long lead.
Crew chief
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Spitfire » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:00 am

Why don't we make this a thread ... I can't be the only person who will admit to 'emotions and throat lumps' ... so why don't you post something that makes your spine tingle - the hairs on the back of your neck stand up - your eyes welling up - a lump in your throat - your senses tingling.....

In theory it should, I suppose, be aircraft related a la 'Iconic Aircraft' theme - but as the forum is very quiet why not spread your emotional wings and refer to anything.

There could be a video of the event which you could link to - or it could be a photo - or even just a description of a moment in time that made you stop and just grin from ear to ear :D :D :D

You've seen my references to steam trains and that glorious 'WHOOMPH' - so there's an example ...

Come on - don't be shy :p ;)

I'll post another just to get it going ... as it happens on the aircraft theme in this instance....

This is another of my true loves - MH434 flown by the late Mark Hanna - just as good as his illustrious Dad in my opinion - flying a 'real' Spitfire (a MK IX) as it should be flown - straight down the barrel of your lens - then a beautiful elliptical wing peel off ... see her dancing as he controls her coming towards you ... then that Merlin purring as he shoots off to one side ... glorious :D

Just to show you how soppy I really am - at Duxford last year I was able to lean slightly over a security rope and touch the rear right hand elevator trim tab of MH434 and that tiny moment was true magic to me - I really did well up that day ...

Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Aceyone » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Like you,I can get quite emotional at certain times,sometimes when I least expect it ! Music often does it for me,I know it sounds soppy but I cannot play Abba's ! " Like An Angel Passing Through My Room " without getting shredded inside :(
Several years ago at a Biggin Hill Airshow ( remember them ? ) It was a hot and sunny day.crowded ,as usual ,when the Red Devils were about to do their drop,I got all emotional for some reason,maybe it was the build-up from the commentator or just the whole experience but it was unexpected !
Of course the Vulcan does it for me every time I see that iconic triangle appear in the distance,the anticipation is immense,spine tingling stuff ! and " Ladies and Gentlemen,boys and girls the Royal Air Force aerobatic team The Red Arrows " !
Last edited by Aceyone on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone

Postby Spitfire » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:18 pm

That's the kinda stuff ... come on you other people fess up ... what 'shreds' you :p :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:38 pm

Just recently I've transcribing 106 Sqn aircrew operational sorties for Friends of Metheringam Airfield.

To read that night, after night, after night, after night those every often 'young' men 18 - 22 year old, flew in the same aircraft with the same crew 7-10hrs sorties and then on the 27, 28 or 29 sortie you read 'failed to return'.

I find that heartbreaking and very emotional.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Nickolas » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Seeing the Lanc Fly, the Vulcan Fly and sooooooo looking forward to seeing two Lancs together in the sky.

Remembrance Day service.

Not much sets me off but those things do.
Chief Constable of the Forum Police
Proud parent of Tom.com & King Willy.
Chairman of 309 (Sawbridgeworth) Sqn Association Committee
Owner of Stanley Schnauzer....
Nickolas
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Dad to Cllr TDC

Postby Spitfire » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:00 pm

Mayfly wrote: 'failed to return'.

I find that heartbreaking and very emotional.

That would crack me up ... I couldn't help but think about those young men being 10 years younger than my son is now and how I get so wound up about how well he does this or that and yet they did so much more ....they flew into uncertainty every night and as you so poignantly say some 'failed to return' ... and that may be 7 of them at once in one crew.

Their sacrifice means my son can do what he does now - I am forever grateful to them
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows