RIAT 2013 - No Pics

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

RIAT 2013 - No Pics

Postby RLN » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Just a few thoughts...

Went Saturday, got there at 07:00 on Red route, no traffic jams - drove straight in. Parked on airfield about 100 yards from entry.

After that, it was same as, same as. Due to the low cloudbase which stuck around most of the day, the displays were lacklustre and to be honest, I was bored stiff for most of the day except for the Mig, Chinook, Lynx and Spartan. The highlight was the A380 for me.

The Vulcan was so limpwristed, I was more angry than disappointed. They want people to give them money, but the display was so far away and quiet I would think that they didn't do as well as they could have. She came along the crowdline on a dirty pass, lifted the gear and did a noisy power climb for a memorable finale..........er, no. She just turned away onto the downwind leg and landed. The Tucano was noisier. On the bright side, I finally got Martin Withers to sign my copy of Vulcan 607.

Disappointed the Connie didn't fly; disappointed the VC10 didn't fly for a last chance to see it in the air; disappointed the Yanks couldn't be bothered to turn up. Got out of the car park OK, just a bit slow through Lechlade, but that gave us a chance to look in The Christmas Shop's window.

Don't think I'll bother next year, I'd rather go to Luton and watch the commercial flights - more action.
RLN

Re: RIAT 2013 - No Pics

Postby MOD » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Martyn you have just summed up my opinion of airshows which was formed in the early 90's.
Most airshow organisers know that there is a hard core of 'enthusiasts' who will go anywhere to see a flying display but they also know that the majority of the crowd will consist of Mr and Mrs Joe public who will just turn up for the burgers/beer and bouncy castles.

ibw
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Postby Ipso » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Apparently the rules governing displays have changed. Here is a extract
In Flight. The normal minimum separation between the crowd-line and aircraft displaying in flight, including rotary-wing displays that involve aerobatics, should be 230 m. However, where the displaying aircraft is at a speed in excess of 300 KIAS, and has a velocity vector towards a spectator area, this minimum separation should be increased to 450 m. Also the runway is to be used for normal operations only. No touch and goes!

Small wonder things look so far distant. :(
Image Image
Ipso
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Olicat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:49 pm

I enjoyed the show and all, but have to agree that things are too distant. Not even 400mm is enough for the Fast Jet displays :(
Fly fast jets and/or C130s over my house please, I'm bored!

BUCCANEER TO THE SKY!
Olicat
Lockheed Constellation
Lockheed Constellation

Also Known As: Bullet

Postby RLN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 am

If they are the rules, Ipso, then we will have to put up with them. However, I think the only aircraft obeying said rules was the Vulcan.
RLN

Postby Mayfly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:01 pm

Ipso wrote:Apparently the rules governing displays have changed. Here is a extract
In Flight. The normal minimum separation between the crowd-line and aircraft displaying in flight, including rotary-wing displays that involve aerobatics, should be 230 m. However, where the displaying aircraft is at a speed in excess of 300 KIAS, and has a velocity vector towards a spectator area, this minimum separation should be increased to 450 m. Also the runway is to be used for normal operations only. No touch and goes!

Small wonder things look so far distant. :(

I don't think those rules have changed - except the bit about the runway.

RLN it was well know there would no or at least very little US participation this year. They stated around Feb- March time that the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds were grounded this year along with many more display acts and operational squadrons to save money.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby RLN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:33 pm

I know they said they weren't attending, but to say they want to save money is a bit of a non-starter considering their budget and they have aircraft all over Europe, which is a shorter journey than some who attended. It's just another example of the "special relationship" working when it suits the Americans. In the meantime, they take part in an exercise with the Aussies and jettison 4 bombs (2 inert, 2 unarmed) near the Great Barrier Reef instead of waiting until they were over deep water.
RLN

Postby Dougs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:39 pm

i have given up on going to displays now, last couple of years put me off; some of the low lights were seeing the vulcan display so far away that even with my 18x zoom camera all i could get was a very poor misty shot and going to farnborough and watching the aircraft fly what seems like miles away, may as well goto see LMA (models ) fly its way more interesting the only place to watch airshows now days is from the wrong side of the airfield which IMO is just not safe at all and does not support the aircraft or airshow organisers so i just dont bother ~x(
B-)
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Postby Mayfly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:55 pm

I know how you feel Dougs I am rapidly coming round to that way of thinking, whilst I enjoyed Waddington immensely I wouldn't travel any distance these days to an air show unless the Black Eagles were in town not even for 558.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Aceyone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Hmm,must admit when I was at Yeovilton last week ,as much as I enjoyed it,there was a point when I thought of the 150 mile journey home and wondered whether it was worth the hassle ( and money ) of course being about 32c didn't help ! maybe as time goes on one gets jaded at seeing same old- same old and of course most of my favourites aircraft-Tornado F3/Jaguar/Harrier/Lightning/Buccaneer are no more,must admit I did enjoy the 558 display though ! It all seem so tame nowadays ,there doesn't seem to be the same adrenalin rush that I used to get when seeing an F3, wings swept for a fast and low pass and then a near vertical climb( come back Fred Grundy )maybe it's an age thing !
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Lucas1860 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:51 pm

I do think that more and more who know the aircraft displays are actually staying outside the show, take the weekend, I was at Totterdown, the display was right above me, the crowds must have been looking at pin pricks, when I looked at how far away from the crowd they did the turns I was amazed. For me this year, Duxford spring airshow was by far the best.

Travelling is not bad, its the getting out of shows that does me, not organised at all, this adds more and more to the journey.

It is in decline I'm afraid.
We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucas1860/?saved=1
Lucas1860

Also Known As: @Aviation1860

Postby Aceyone » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Lucas1860 wrote:I do think that more and more who know the aircraft displays are actually staying outside the show, take the weekend, I was at Totterdown, the display was right above me, the crowds must have been looking at pin pricks, when I looked at how far away from the crowd they did the turns I was amazed. For me this year, Duxford spring airshow was by far the best.

Travelling is not bad, its the getting out of shows that does me, not organised at all, this adds more and more to the journey.

It is in decline I'm afraid.

Funny enough Yeovilton was the easiest I've ever done,drove straight in ,didn't queue at all and ditto coming out ,easy peasy,unlike, I think it was Bentwaters ,about 25 years ago they had some sort of leak ( gas I think ) and we sat in the car for about 2 hours or more not moving at all :-o
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows