Who wants to visit Scampton for a guided tour?

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

Who wants to visit Scampton for a guided tour?

Postby Dangerousdave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Anyone fancy a guided tour around it? I went in the summer and got a talk about where bits of the Dambusters film were made, also saw the office of GG, where the raids were planned etc.

We had a great talk by the bloke guiding us around too, told us all sorts of stories about it. We saw the grave of a certain dog, who's name I cannot mention for fear of being locked in the tower of london and beheaded.

We then had a loook in the hanger from where the Lancs left on the raid and also loads of really interesing stuff. It was free and brilliant. I am looking at arranging another trip if anyone wants to join me. Photos can be taken of certain areas as well, although depending on who does the tour, depends on the photos. Apparently some people have taken photos and then tried to sell them and upset one of the tour guides.

I know I am a total anorak, but as an avid fan of Lancs I was gobsmacked to be there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30806806@N ... 120805435/
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Re: Who wants to visit Scampton for a guided tour?

Postby Saracenman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:28 am

was there any sign of the new Dambusters film being made?

supposedly, Scampton has been the base for Lanc models and all sorts - but the film never seems any closer to be finished! :p

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Nobody

Postby Dangerousdave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:16 am

David Frost owns the rights to the film. It is being shot using New Zealand as a background for some reason. I also believe that PA474 and NX611 are being featured in the film but most of it will be CGI.
I know there was some controversy over the name of the dog and it was suggested Trigger be used. Apparently, if you're telling a TRUE story, you have to bend the truth if it's not politically correct!
I dont know what is happening with the filming at the minute and personally I would be suprised if the new version is as accurate, or as good as the original, especially if hollywood are involved.
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Postby Saracenman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:43 pm

I'm led to believe that Peter Jackson is keen on portraying the hard facts, rather than some Hollywood attempt at claiming it was a USAF raid! =))

the fact that the original film omitted a lot of the real information on the Upkeep bomb (they were still classified in 1954) is apparently something that interests Jackson as he can now focus on them much more.

over all, i don't think that anyone would dare rewrite the film to such an extent that it strays from actual events - let's face it, it doesn't really need dramatising does it - a squadron of Lancs at zero feet in the dark is drama enough! =))

just wish they'd get on and finish it :((

sm
Lunchtime! ImageImage
Saracenman

Also Known As: Nobody

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows