Dumps and Graveyards

Information, photos, dates, reviews, Red Arrows, BBMF etc

Dumps and Graveyards

Postby Pujgnie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread for this.. but in view of Clunys interesting thread on RAF Oakley, I got to thinking (dangerous I know), what happened to MoD surplus stock/munitions etc.. after the war years. How was it disposed of in them days.

A few minutes search threw up this interesting one on a skuttled Sunderland :

http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/warbirds/SunderlandT9044/index.htm

I know disposal methods are strictly controlled nowadays... and you cannot just dig a hole and bury a complete plane.

When I was stationed at Portreath in Cornwall, the local farmer (who owned rather a large part of the old airfield) told me that a lot of stuff - still in crates arrived regularily by road, and was dumped down several Tin mine vent shafts. Whether that is true I do not know... short of abseiling into one !
Look Mummy.. there's an aeroplane up in the sky.....
Pujgnie
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Re: Dumps and Graveyards

Postby Mayfly » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:32 pm

there are a lot rumours ref a/c spares & buried lanc engines around & I know its not that long ago [10yrs or so] that BBMF was told about a farmer who had found one in one of his barns but when they inquired of him about it he had swopped it for a motor bike :))
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Mackrick » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Like the Pembroke Dock link, Time Team did a dive and recovery of an engine nacelle and prop from one that broke free of its moorings and sank.

Following the war many station just dug a big hole and bulldozed anything and everything into it, most of the time they never even bothered documenting its location. You hear stories on most stations about buried WW2 equipment but nothing ever shows up. I know at Brize following works back in the early 80's they found a fuel pit from the war still full of fuel ! There are other places at Brize south side of the runway that always look parched and barren, nothing seems to grow well there. During part of the prep work for the current building works they found all sorts buried ! So your guess is as good as any ones as to the possible loactions of buried equipment.
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede
Mackrick

Postby Dangerousdave » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 pm

I know where 3 Lancs are supposed to have been buried. I know someone who went to be nosey and a farmer set a couple of rather large dogs after them.
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Also Known As: dangerousdave

Postby RLN » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Dangerousdave wrote:I know where 3 Lancs are supposed to have been buried. I know someone who went to be nosey and a farmer set a couple of rather large dogs after them.

Nothing that a shotgun won't sort
RLN

Postby Dangerousdave » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Apparently there is also a crashed lanc with 3 crew still aboard, it is well known in the village ( I wont say which one). I have a mate who is a medium and he owns a large Rottwieller. He did offer to take his dog there to keep the farmers dogs busy whislt he tried to tune in and locate the aircraft.
Maybe we'll do it late on night and try not to get shot.
It wouldn't be the first time a farmer has shot a bloke from Newark would it!
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby RLN » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm

No, I know what you mean. BTW, Newark is an amusing anagram :))
RLN

Postby Dangerousdave » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:40 pm

Yeah. My thanks to Jasper carrot for that one! :ymapplause:
Dangerousdave
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Return to Airfields, Aircrews, Airshows