Why the Vulcan?

Stories and general aviation chat

Re: Why the Vulcan?

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Ducati Boy wrote:
Mayfly wrote:I agree about 558 being alive she has soul, she spirit and she does have a guardian angel.

Saying all that - on the ground and taxiing 655 is the business and where my allegiance would lie.

Thats only 'cos you fancy the driver! =))

:)) :)) :)) :ymapplause: (or just his joystick ;) ).
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ducati Boy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Oh boy, your brave!! :))
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Biker Boy

Postby Mayfly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 pm

No he's stupid!!!

:p
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Ducati Boy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Mayfly wrote:No he's stupid!!!

:p

Do you still have your big stick MF? :ymdevil:
Image TF - 51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" the ride of your life and I rode her EEEEEEHAAAAAAAAR!!
Ducati Boy

Postby Mayfly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Oh yes and it needs an airing!

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:51 pm

I knew I would get it in the end :p

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Literally if you are not careful!! :))

Mayfly

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Mayfly wrote:Literally if you are not careful!! :))

:)) :)) :))

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Ducati Boy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:41 pm

Jigsaw wrote:I knew I would get it in the end :p
Getting it in your end could be really painful, More likely you will get the end of it. =)) =)) =)) =))
Ducati Boy

Postby Jigsaw » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:13 pm

:-o :-o =)) =))

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Vulcan, Victor, anything from the era when this country could actually build cutting edge aircraft does it for me. I'm 31 now, and was lucky enough to be able to watch every Finningley airshow from '89 onwards from the roof of the METS building. The displays I remember clearest from all those years ago? Vulcan, by far. Especially the 'Farewell'... :((
I hope the Vulcan naysayers found liberally in any and all of the Aviation forums regret their attitude towards 558 once she finally does bow out. Because she really will leave a BIG hole in the sky when it happens. Until i win the Euromillions and get our Victor flying again...! =))
Team leader, Meteor NF.14 WS788 restoration, YAM Elvington.
Blue_2
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Robdsn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:38 pm

Blue_2 wrote:Vulcan, Victor, anything from the era when this country could actually build cutting edge aircraft does it for me. I'm 31 now, and was lucky enough to be able to watch every Finningley airshow from '89 onwards from the roof of the METS building. The displays I remember clearest from all those years ago? Vulcan, by far. Especially the 'Farewell'... :((
I hope the Vulcan naysayers found liberally in any and all of the Aviation forums regret their attitude towards 558 once she finally does bow out. Because she really will leave a BIG hole in the sky when it happens. Until i win the Euromillions and get our Victor flying again...! =))

More or less the same as my story. I started going to airshows in the mid to late eighties, I never had the pleasure of seeing Vulcan operating in frontline service, however saw plenty of VDF flights which were far more spirited than these days. As a teenager I was also a volunteer at EMA on XM575 which only strengthened the interest.

I cannot explain what it is about this machine, the sight, sound, the fact that against all odds she is flying again or what, however something about it just makes you stop and stare mouth wide open.

Robdsn
Robdsn
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby MOD » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes indeed - 'Why the Vulcan' ? After a lot of thought about this ; here's my answer.

My first view of a Vulcan was at RAF Finningley in the 70s when they performed a 4x ship scramble. :-o

The sound of 16 Olympus engines, more or less bursting into life simultaneously, had me hooked on all things Vulcan from that day to this. That particular memory is a vivid one as the crowd line, that day, had been located far too close to the rear of the Vulcans which were parked side by side at approx 45° to the runway. After the smoke had cleared a huge section of crowd fencing was lain flat together with a fair number of spectators who had gone 'base over apex'.

Yet everyone seemed to be smiling - but they all must have been deafened by that incredible noise. :-o

Yes that day got me absolutely hooked on Vulcans and I still am hooked on XH558 and XM655. Although for quite different reasons. To have a flying Vulcan AFTER ALL THESE YEARS is an awesome - almost unbelievable - achievement and the VTTS Trust and everyone associated with keeping her airworthy deserve massive respect imo. :ymapplause:

But you can't get as close to 558, as you can 655, when they start to make a noise. WWW is THE place to be in June. http://www.xm655.com/events.php

ibw
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Previous

Return to Aviation Chat