Buried Spitfires

Stories and general aviation chat

Buried Spitfires

Postby Mayfly » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:04 am

From an article in the Daily Telegraph...20 Spits

Found in Burma
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29723
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Hydealfred » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:52 am

Very interesting - that would swell the ranks of Spitfires on the airshow scene (hopefully).
User avatar
Hydealfred
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:30 am
Location: Winchester

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for that Pam :D

I remember reading something about this years ago. Was very interested to read that.
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Image
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Dan4th » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:34 pm

That's Just Amazing!

I hope the entire thing is being committed
to video and the whole story will appear at
some point so we can all SEE it!

Fascinating!!!!!!!!

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Mayfly » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Jigsaw wrote:Thanks for that Pam :D

I remember reading something about this years ago. Was very interested to read that.


As he's from Sunny Scunny I thought it may be you in disguise Jigs!
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29723
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Sploosher » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:03 pm

thats great news........ :ymapplause:

mind you, my eldest brother told me years ago that he heard of some more WW2 aircraft being buried in a field in LIncolnshire somewhere too, ;)

I think he said Spitfire or Lancaster, but I cant remember though :((
User avatar
Sploosher
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2993
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:31 pm
Also Known As: jangor

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:11 pm

There are LOADS of stories of military equipment being buried to either render it useless to an over-running enemy force or just to hide stuff that is either off inventory or needs to "DISAPPEAR" for a miriad of reasons! :-o

Most ex American WW2 airfields in this country will have "CACHES" of STUFF buried within their original boundaries and of course it depends on how fastidious the troops doing the burying were. Much stuff has been found over the years but a massive majority must still be out there somewhere, waiting to be uncovered one day! ;)
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Gaz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Xplumberlives wrote:There are LOADS of stories of military equipment being buried to either render it useless to an over-running enemy force or just to hide stuff that is either off inventory or needs to "DISAPPEAR" for a miriad of reasons! :-o

Most ex American WW2 airfields in this country will have "CACHES" of STUFF buried within their original boundaries and of course it depends on how fastidious the troops doing the burying were. Much stuff has been found over the years but a massive majority must still be out there somewhere, waiting to be uncovered one day! ;)


Indeed!

DW has said that there are loads of bits of B-47 buried all over Bruntingthorpe
NB; Any negative comments I post about the Vulcan are posted SOLELY to wind Gregg up!
User avatar
Gaz
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 8182
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:06 pm

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Gaz wrote:
Xplumberlives wrote:There are LOADS of stories of military equipment being buried to either render it useless to an over-running enemy force or just to hide stuff that is either off inventory or needs to "DISAPPEAR" for a miriad of reasons! :-o

Most ex American WW2 airfields in this country will have "CACHES" of STUFF buried within their original boundaries and of course it depends on how fastidious the troops doing the burying were. Much stuff has been found over the years but a massive majority must still be out there somewhere, waiting to be uncovered one day! ;)


Indeed!

DW has said that there are loads of bits of B-47 buried all over Bruntingthorpe



The OLD maxim is OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND! ;)
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Mayfly wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:Thanks for that Pam :D

I remember reading something about this years ago. Was very interested to read that.


As he's from Sunny Scunny I thought it may be you in disguise Jigs!


I'm not THAT bloody old :p

David Cundall is 62 ya cheeky moo :)) and I have never been to Mingaladon Airfield (I don't think) :p

I'm pretty sure he is from Crowle (joost oop t'road).

Still glad you reminded me of this :D If they were prepared correctly, they would be in pretty good(ish) condition one would sudpect. The alternative (considering the fuselage/wing structure construction materials) is dust I guess :(

As Dave refers. Imagine what else is out there :-o I would love to be involved with stuff like this (though my back would say otherwise at the moment :)) )
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Image
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 pm

Jigsaw wrote:
Mayfly wrote:
Jigsaw wrote:Thanks for that Pam :D

I remember reading something about this years ago. Was very interested to read that.


As he's from Sunny Scunny I thought it may be you in disguise Jigs!


I'm not THAT bloody old :p

David Cundall is 62 ya cheeky moo :)) and I have never been to Mingaladon Airfield (I don't think) :p

I'm pretty sure he is from Crowle (joost oop t'road).

Still glad you reminded me of this :D If they were prepared correctly, they would be in pretty good(ish) condition one would sudpect. The alternative (considering the fuselage/wing structure construction materials) is dust I guess :(

As Dave refers. Imagine what else is out there :-o I would love to be involved with stuff like this (though my back would say otherwise at the moment :)) )




Depending upon what state they are in after all this time it would be reasonable to expect at least some usable parts from each of the 20 airframes, shall be watching this with relish! :D
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Me too mate, thats why I was glad of the reminder.
I'm sure when he was there in the 90's the figure quoted was 12 MK XIV's but.........WHO CARES :D
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Image
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Jigsaw wrote:Me too mate, thats why I was glad of the reminder.
I'm sure when he was there in the 90's the figure quoted was 12 MK XIV's but.........WHO CARES :D



The Mk XIVs would make more sense in line with the supposed date of their burial!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby MOD » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 pm

A great bit of news. Well done to Farmer Cundall ... :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Let's hope they are in a good enough condition for at least one of them to be restored to flight.


Mod
Image
User avatar
MOD
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2796
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 pm
Location: Bromsgrove. Worcs. ex East Riding
Also Known As: ibw123Heyfordian etc

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Hazzer111 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:43 pm

When they are back in the uk what will happen? I know I'm dreaming but it will be good if some or all are given to the bbmf :D
User avatar
Hazzer111
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:22 pm
Location: Bomber county

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Dan4th » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, I'll tell you what THIS Slimey
Murkin thinks...........

They should all be kept together at
one location and as many as possible
should be made-up out of the good
parts and put back in the air as their
OWN Flight of Spitfires!!!!!!!

Of course, it will all boil-down to.........

MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This, however, would be a world-wide
effort and not restricted to just the
British Isles, no?

The whole story is WUNNERFUL!

It will capture the imagination(s) of
aircraft fanatics EVERYWHERE :ymapplause:

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
User avatar
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
 
Posts: 14733
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine, USA
Also Known As: Token Murkin

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Yorkie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm

On the issue of burried aircraft, I have it on good authority that there were enough spares to renovate the Halifax at the Yorkshire museum burried at the old RAF Clifton, the only problem was that Mercedes wouldnt give pemission to dig up the car park......
"I try to take life one day at a time, but lately several days have attacked me at once."
User avatar
Yorkie
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 am
Location: York

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby 10680 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:07 pm

The bloke was on The One Show last night.

Didn't seem a Done Deal. I think they still need to be located.
I'd rather be skiing
User avatar
10680
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Jigsaw » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:50 pm

10680 wrote:The bloke was on The One Show last night.

Didn't seem a Done Deal. I think they still need to be located.


Indeed. There seem to be (as is usual) conflicting stories. Hopefully something will come of this in the near future.
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Image
User avatar
Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747
 
Posts: 6455
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:58 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby 10680 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:15 pm

Jigsaw wrote:
10680 wrote:The bloke was on The One Show last night.

Didn't seem a Done Deal. I think they still need to be located.


Indeed. There seem to be (as is usual) conflicting stories. Hopefully something will come of this in the near future.



I think it's "We know theyr'e there. We've spoken to people who saw them buried" etc

But if/when they're recovered it should be interesting.

Talking of The One Show, did anyone watch it last night. Specifically the bit on black propaganda at Kingstanding on Ashdown Forest. It's a fascinating story/place.
I'd rather be skiing
User avatar
10680
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Xplumberlives » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:52 am

10680 wrote: Talking of The One Show, did anyone watch it last night. Specifically the bit on black propaganda at Kingstanding on Ashdown Forest. It's a fascinating story/place.




No, what did I miss?
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
User avatar
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
 
Posts: 41159
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: Close to a former Harrier Airfield
Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby 10680 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Xplumberlives wrote:
10680 wrote: Talking of The One Show, did anyone watch it last night. Specifically the bit on black propaganda at Kingstanding on Ashdown Forest. It's a fascinating story/place.




No, what did I miss?


I'll put about it on a new topic.
I'd rather be skiing
User avatar
10680
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Varcs » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:58 pm

The interesting angle on this story is that if one country has admitted they buried crates of aircraft, maybe others will too? Who knows what wonders are still to be discovered in the far east?
User avatar
Varcs
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:53 am
Location: Odiham, Hampshire

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Sooty655 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 pm

Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
User avatar
Sooty655
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 8821
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:17 pm
Location: Weedon, Northants

Re: Buried Spitfires

Postby Mayfly » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:28 am

Hmmm I did see a the thread on Key forum had raised it's head again - I have my fingers crossed for Cundall it would be good to discover something.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
User avatar
Mayfly
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 29723
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:11 pm
Location: Bomber County

Next

Return to Aviation Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests