Who has IE9?

Having problems with the forums? Have a question? Have a suggestion? Post here

Who has IE9?

Postby Wedgy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Any problems with IA? Specifically images?

*edit* It would appear IE9 does not support the way IA handles images. Typical Microsoft - every other browser under the sun DOES support it.

There is no fix currently ... if you wish to view images on IA, I suggest you stay well clear of IE9.

Im sure the list of incompatibilities will only grow :(
"Afterall, I am a kind Admin, a caring Admin, I listen to the people"

Help promote us! Look HERE
Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also Known As: Wedginald

Re: Who has IE9?

Postby RLN » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Sorry, only use Firefox.
RLN

Postby Wedgy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:12 pm

I've tried my own fix - but it failed.

Stay away from IE9 people :(

Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mayfly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Does this only effect the way you have set IA to handle images Wedgy or would it affect all phpBB boards?
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Wedgy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:04 am

It doesn't really affect basic phpBB forums (hence why TVOC forums are unaffected), although there are some annoying 'quirks' being reported.
IA has a modification which resizes images automatically (and shows them in a 'lightbox') and this is what is causing the problem. The modification is used by thousands of forums and I have been in contact with the author of the modification ... a fix will be in the pipeline I think - just a matter of when, could be months.

Thanks to Hungry Hagis for bringing it to my attention (http://www.iconicaircraft.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4406) just unfortunate I cannot fix it this end (I still hold out hope there maybe a IE9 'option' somewhere that resolves the issue within IE9 itself).

Of all the browsers out there, IE always has the incompatibility issues and causes website developers headaches. I looked at IA through Chrome this morning (trying one more idea I had) - it even looks better!

I dream of a day that every website developer IGNORES Microsoft Internet Explorer :YMDAYDREAM:

Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sooty655 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 am

Wedgy wrote:I dream of a day that every website developer IGNORES Microsoft Internet Explorer :YMDAYDREAM:

....and the following day, when you see him/her in the queue at the job centre. ~x( ;)
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Yorkie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:52 pm

This would explein a lot :( like why I can't see images on here but can on every other forum i go onto.

am going to explore...... can't you install tapatalk plugin? then i can use my iphone
"I try to take life one day at a time, but lately several days have attacked me at once."
Yorkie
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Postby Mayfly » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:05 pm

I posted this on another thread - evidently you click the compatibility button somewhere on the toolbar and it solves the problem - so I read, so don't shoot the messenger!! :))

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Yorkie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Mayfly wrote:I posted this on another thread - evidently you click the compatibility button somewhere on the toolbar and it solves the problem - so I read, so don't shoot the messenger!! :))

Thanks Mayfly.... but iv'e added iconicaircraft.co.uk to the compatability list so it views the website in compatability mode (alt+t in ie9 brings up the menu) still no better.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but lately several days have attacked me at once."
Yorkie

Postby Mayfly » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Sorry can't hinder you any further then!! :))

Mayfly

Postby Yorkie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm sure you could, but choose not to =))

Thanks anyway, and for the hello today, was like iv'e never been away :)
Yorkie

Postby Hungry Haggis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:30 am

As i posted on the other topic IE9 is now history here now back on IE8 and still trying to get chrome to stop crashing flash & shockwave so i can use that sometimes ,i'm now wondering if that may have something to do with any IE9 files remaining in the Registry Chrome worked fine before so I figure its either something left behind or when chrome updated last time ~x( .will I sort it out ,"I don't know".As long as i get my Pic fix i actualy don't care anymore .
http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/s ... ancer.aspx . 2018 is not my favourite year at all
Hungry Haggis
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Yorkie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:57 am

I have ie9 and this is the only problem that I have had with it (64 bit windows 7)

I have installed chrome to view this website, but I would suggest firefox as it's easier to remove..... this is a work pc so I am not that bothered.

IE9 is quicker than IE8, but like all new software they need developers to catch up, the developers need the final version to catch up. so it shouldn't be too long now.

you won't get rid of IE9 completely, it overwrites some IE8 files.
Yorkie

Postby Wedgy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:39 pm

Yorkie wrote:IE9 is quicker than IE8, but like all new software they need developers to catch up, the developers need the final version to catch up. so it shouldn't be too long now.

And thats the bit I cannot stand. Microsoft force IE9 down peoples throats so developers have no choice but to rewrite things that work perfectly well with ALL other browser platforms. They've been doing it since IE7. Obviously their way of trying to influence "the internet". X(

Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Yorkie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Wedgy wrote:
Yorkie wrote:IE9 is quicker than IE8, but like all new software they need developers to catch up, the developers need the final version to catch up. so it shouldn't be too long now.

And thats the bit I cannot stand. Microsoft force IE9 down peoples throats so developers have no choice but to rewrite things that work perfectly well with ALL other browser platforms. They've been doing it since IE7. Obviously their way of trying to influence "the internet". X(

Love it.... We all know that Microsoft think they OWN the internet, and to be fair they probably have the power to kill the internet as we know it with the press of a button. I don't like what Microsoft now do, but I admire Bill Gates as a clever man who didn't listen to IBM when they told him that an interface called MS-DOS would never catch on and he could keep the rights to it... after already buying the rights to QDOS......the rest is history

Don't really like chrome, but it does the job, and it seems quicker than IE9 at work on a slow broadband connection.
Yorkie

Postby Mayfly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 pm

Good to see you back too mate ;)

I think browsers are a personal thing - what one likes another doesn't - I tried FF and couldn't abide it, but took to Chrome straight away, tho' I dare say you would get used to any if you persisted long enough. Most say Chrome is quicker and I believe there is Steel which is Chrome without any add ons at all.

Mayfly

Postby Wedgy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:23 am

Good news 1: There is a fix
Good news 2: It should take around 5mins to install
Bad news: It will take a few hours to unpick the code for the old version.

Might try this tonight, will keep you posted (as it will involve a little downtime)

Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wedgy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 pm

IA will go down for around 5-15mins within the next 60-90mins.

Wedgy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hungry Haggis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Didn't notice the downtime .To busy getting beat up by grandson,now on IE9 and leafing through forum so far all pics work fine.
http://www.newcastle-hospitals.org.uk/s ... ancer.aspx . 2018 is not my favourite year at all
Hungry Haggis

Return to Forum Support