'Tornado' on Timetabled Steam

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

'Tornado' on Timetabled Steam

Postby 34053 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Yes, can you believe it? Between February 14th and February 16th (inclusive), the 'ordinary' will become the 'extraordinary' when there is the opportunity to travel on 'Tornado' with a standard National Rail ticket. This will be on the 'Settle and Carlisle' Line, along the 53 miles between Skipton and Appleby (in both directions).

The 'Settle and Carlisle' Route, from Leeds to Carlisle (Northern Rail) was severed in February 2016 by a massive (more than 500,000 tons of earth) landslip at Eden Brows. Since then, a huge amount of work is being carried out to repair the damage done. Services from Leeds were cut back, from Carlisle to Appleby, with a 'Replacement Bus Service' provided.

Between 14th and 16th February, a 'Northern Rail' Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) will run between Leeds and Skipton (instead of Appleby). 'Tornado' will then do the run between Skipton and Appleby (including the crossing of the Iconic, 24 Arches of the 'Ribblehead Viaduct').

Timetable (for each Day):
Appleby (dep) 0830
Kirkby Stephen (arr) 0845
Garsdale (arr) 0901
Horton-in-Ribblesdale (arr) 0927
Settle (arr) 0943
Skipton (arr) 1009

Skipton (dep)1045
Settle (arr) 1109
Kirkby Stephen (arr)1200
Appleby (arr) 1216

Appleby (dep) 1507
Kirkby Stephen (arr) 1522
Settle (arr) 1613
Skipton (arr) 1640

Skipton (dep) 1710
Settle (arr) 1734
Kirkby Stephen (arr) 1825
Appleby (arr) 1841

This will be the first (official) time that 'Tornado' has hauled a 'Public Service Train'. [There have been other occasions, when 'Tornado' has 'come to the rescue': e.g. in 2009 when heavy snow stranded 'regular' Train passengers at Maidstone (Network Rail Services unable to run) who were then invited to join the 'Tornado' Steam Excursion Train, back to London!].

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: 'Tornado' on Timetabled Steam

Postby 34053 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:18 pm

I was extremely pleased to see that the first day of the above Event was very well reported on the National News today. I managed to see it on the BBC 1 and ITV 1 News Bulletins. Well worth a look on BBC iPlayer and/or ITV Hub, if you missed it.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Spitfire » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:26 pm

34053 wrote:I was extremely pleased to see that the first day of the above Event was very well reported on the National News today. I managed to see it on the BBC 1 and ITV 1 News Bulletins. Well worth a look on BBC iPlayer and/or ITV Hub, if you missed it. PW

Lovely to see it so well publicised .. saw it several times ... going over the viaduct was brilliant :D :D

BUT .....

Is it just me or does a large leviathan type engine like Tornado look completely wrong pulling backwards ;) :p

I know it has to and all that without a turntable ... but aesthetically it just looks .... well... wrong ....

It looks so much MORE sleek and powerful pointing the right way B-) B-)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby 34053 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Spitfire wrote:Is it just me or does a large leviathan type engine like Tornado look completely wrong pulling backwards ;) :p

I know it has to and all that without a turntable ... but aesthetically it just looks .... well... wrong ....

It looks so much MORE sleek and powerful pointing the right way B-) B-)

You are absolutely correct, David. It just isn't the same with the Locomotive running Tender first. The Footplate Crew are not that pleased either, especially when it's pouring with rain!!!
However, without the luxury of a Turntable or a 'Turning Triangle', there is no other option.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Return to History Past and Present