RMS Titanic

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

RMS Titanic

Postby Pujgnie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Look Mummy.. there's an aeroplane up in the sky.....
Pujgnie
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Re: RMS Titanic

Postby 34053 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Thank you Pujgnie. Yes, a most interesting read indeed!

Also, at that time, the number of funnels on a liner was taken as an indication it's potential power and speed. 'Titanic' had four funnels; however, the fourth funnel was only a 'dummy'.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Postby Spitfire » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:12 pm

How very interesting - thanks for the link ;)
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm fascinated by the Titanic thanks for the link :ymapplause:
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby 34053 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 pm

I have resurrected this Topic because Mama Wedgy and I have just returned from visiting relatives and friends in Northern Ireland. This time we decided to first spend a few days in Belfast, which is something we always kept meaning to do on our previous visits. Whilst there, we decided to go on the advertised 'Titanic Walking Tours', which started at 11 am and 2pm every day, from outside the 'Premier Inn:Titanic Quarter' where we were staying. (This is a new Hotel, having been open for only a few months, right by the River Lagan and part of the general regeneration of the area).

What can I say? This, without doubt, was the most interesting and informative Tour I think I have ever been on. It was lead by Colin Cobb (a self-confessed 'Titanorak') and he had 'access all areas'. We saw the slipways for 'Titanic' and (alongside) 'Olympic'; we went into the Harland & Wolff (original) Offices/Drawing Offices; saw the 'Graving Dock' (Dry Dock) where the hull of 'Titanic' was inspected and painted and the three gigantic propellers were fitted, together with the associated 'Pump House' (the enormous pumps which drained the Dry Dock); etc, etc.

For full details of this Tour, etc, click on the link below:

http://www.titanicwalk.com/index.html

If you are interested in the history of RMS 'Titanic', this is definitely for you! But you will have to go there soon. The area where 'Titanic' was built is undergoing major Regeneration: a new £100milion 'Titanic Centre' is being built (I have pics) which is to open in April 2012 (the 100th Anniversary of the disaster). The Harland & Wolff offices will be converted into an Hotel, with the original features retained (I'm glad to say!). So you will need to go within the next 12 months as this will be the last chance to see for yourself the areas in their 'original' state. 'George Best Belfast City Airport' is the closest Airport, but 'Belfast International Airport' is also only a relatively short Taxi ride away.

The 100th Anniversary of Titanic's launch is on 31st May 2011.

I took loads of pics and I intend posting some of them on here.

I can thoroughly recommend the 'Premier Inn:Titanic Quarter'. We had no car, but this Hotel is within easy walking distance of the City Centre and is ideal for the start of this 'Walking Tour' (it goes ahead with 'a minimum of two people').

Another 'must' is to go on the guided tour of Belfast City Hall; amazing! Plus, one of the 'City Bus Tours'.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Mayfly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks PW I'm always on the look out for something different to do :ymapplause:

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Jigsaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Great post PW. My brother-in-law did exactly the same last year (apart from the hotel) and the pictures were brilliant. I have it in mind to go as soon as is practicable :)
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby 34053 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 am

As promised, just to give you a flavour' of just how good the 'Titanic Walking Tour' was, here is just a selection from the 75 pics which I took. These 16 are in the order of the Tour:

This is 'SS Nomadic', under Restoration. This is the only remaining 'White Star Line' ship in existence today. When 'Titanic' left Southampton for France (before her final pick up in Ireland) 'Nomadic' ferried the 142 'First Class' passengers to Titanic, as Cherbourg Harbour was not big enough for 'Titanic':

The first close up view of the (original) offices of Harland & Wolff:

The Entrance Gates where the thousands of Workers entered and left the Shipyard:

The original Harland & Wolff Telephone Exchange for the whole Site:

Inside view of the Directors/Management/Office Staff/Visitors Entrance to the Offices:

No1 Drawing Office (of two):

Ouside view of the Directors/Management/Office Staff/Visitors Entrance to the Offices:

View of Harland & Wolff's Offices (from the other side to the earlier pic):

The new £100m 'Titanic Belfast' Visitor Attraction, under construction (to open in April 2012). The four sides are designed to look like the bow of a ship:

View of the 'Titanic' Slipway, from where she was launched. The far end (bow end) is approx 6 feet (2 metres) high. Note the rail tracks alongside, for the steam cranes:

A (very) small plaque commemorating the launch of 'Titanic' from this Slipway:

A rear view of the Harland & Wolff's Offices. You can see the two, single storey,Drawing Offices between the two main buildings. No1 Drawing Office is on the right; No2 on the left:

The two Harland & Wolff massive cranes, on the other side of the road. They are named 'Samson' (built in 1974) and 'Goliath' (built in 1969). Nowadays Harland & Wolff use these to manufacture Wind Turbines:

The Graving Dock (Dry Dock) looking towards the sea entrance gate ('stern end'). This is where 'Titanic' had her three propellors fitted, and the hull inspected/painted:

An old photo of 'Titanic' in the Graving Dock (taken at the time by Harland & Wolff's official photographer):

Another pic of the Graving Dock, this time looking towards the 'bow end':

PW

Edit: In case you missed it in my earlier post, here again is the link to the 'Titanic Walking Tours' website. I cannot sufficiently recommend it highly enough. Well worth the trip to Belfast to see it 'in the flesh':

http://www.titanicwalk.com/index.html

But do it soon, before a lot of the original external features disappear.

PW

Edits 1& 2: Corrections.
Edit 3: 'Titanic Walking Tours' link added.
Edit 4: Spelling correction.
Last edited by 34053 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Coastergirl » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 am

Really interesting, thank you!
Genealogists never die; they just swap places in the family tree
Coastergirl
Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Also Known As: themeparkgirl

Postby Mayfly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Thank PW - some lovely old fittings there \:D/

Mayfly

Postby Xplumberlives » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks P.W.

Two colleagues of mine have recently visited the TITANIC exhibition in London and said it was VERY INTERESTING!

One of them purchased a cook book based upon the First Class menu on board, he now plans to recreate a few dishes!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby Kermit » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I have a few photos (as in film not digital) of the dockyards a long time ago, plus some from the 80s, then some taken a few years ago before all the new buildings went up. Will try to sort out a few good ones, the contrast between then and now is amazing. Remember being hooted at by Samson while taking photos ages ago, hadnt even heard it gliding close ! Always was a great place.
Kermit

Also Known As: jocelyn

Postby Jigsaw » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for sharing those PW. Really interesting stuff indeed :ymapplause:
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to History Past and Present