D-Day 70 years on

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

D-Day 70 years on

Postby Mayfly » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:18 am

Remembering all those who took part in D-Day 6 June 1944, 70 years ago.

Thank You for your sacrifice and dedication.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Re: D-Day 70 years on

Postby Hihonyr8811 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:07 am

:ymapplause: We will remember them!

----------------------------

The coverage on the BBC has been pretty good. I'm still on bed rest *cough* so I've had news 24 on.
Although the poor lady who had to cover the Red Arrows yesterday was getting a bit flustered, every time she said "I think they've finished" back the'd come for another pass/formation :))

I managed to make my little pilgrimage to RAF North Witham last night, wasn't sure I was going to make it but I really wanted to. Walked to the end of runway 20 and sat for a few minutes in the gorgeous evening sunlight.
Then a chap on a bike cycled up the runway and stopped to talk to us for 10 minutes or so and he was saying how sad it was that more people didn't know about it's history in the D-day events.

It's hard to imagine that 70 years before there would have been hundreds of people all busy readying the aircraft, crews and equipment ready for the biggest air and sea assault. Especially as they were going in first to set up the DZs. I haven't seen anything about casualties from the pathfinders, but I do know that 19 out of 20 of the C-47s made it safely back to England, one ditched in the English channel but all the crew were rescued by the HMS Tartar.

I wanted to stop at Barkston heath to see their new memorial, but it's on the base so not really accessible, although you can see it from the road through the fence, but we didn't stop.
Hihonyr8811
Airbus A380
Airbus A380

Also Known As: Lincoln, Hiho, Helen

Postby 34053 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:30 am

The sacrifices made will never be forgotten.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Postby Spitfire » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm

D Day was astounding - It is very interesting to see the concrete roads and ramps they built for the embarkation of 29th US division troops and equipment along all the River Fal and Helford River creeks and inlets down here ....

They all left to meet up at 'Piccadilly Circus' before going across to Normandy - those craft must have been a nightmare to be on from the far S W of Cornwall right up to where they met up and turned ...

The sheer terror and immense bravery of these men is summed up to me by the beginning of the film Saving Private Ryan - I know it's only a film - but it must come pretty close to some of what happened ...
Here's a link to it (not embedded on purpose) - watch it or not - up to you ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82RTzi5Vt7w

Personally I am forever grateful to them all ...
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Dougs » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:35 pm

i was talking with my grandad about the war (his MGB is still going and in Portsmouth) he was telling me how his boat had to patrol around the normandy coast looking after the D day boats and his boat bent a prop and had to go to the sub pens in ostend a few weeks later said they were "something else" amazing the stuff these guys had to go through we just cant imagine, we are so lucky.
B-)
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Postby Sooty655 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:09 pm

D-Day spirit lives on ~ see this BBC report. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Jigsaw » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:47 am

Sooty655 wrote:D-Day spirit lives on ~ see this BBC report. :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

I also saw this report.
I thought it was quite disgusting they would not allow someone to go when he had more than earned his right to be there. It was the attitude of this man and his comrades 70 years ago that got them through the horror they faced.
I am glad he showed he still has this spirit 70 years on.
He gets my applause, along with every other brave and selfless soul involved :ymapplause:
God created man because a vibrator can't mow the lawn!

Jigsaw
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:08 am

According to Breakfast news this morning the care home manager said he was undecided whether to attend or not, they bought him a new blazer for his medals and a new shirt just in case but by the time he thought about going the local British Legion coach was full.

They said they would take him to the local events. However at the last minute he decided to go and did so alone, he didn't even tell his wife he was off.

Regardless it's a brilliant story and good luck to him.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby 34053 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:07 pm

The spirit and determination of such men is absolutely amazing.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Return to History Past and Present