Canadian Locomotive Restoration

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

Canadian Locomotive Restoration

Postby Avro683 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Hello Guys,
I thought some of you might like to hear about our restoration here in Canada..

CN6069 is one of three surviving 482 Mountain Locomotives out of the 20 that were built. Retired in 1959, she awaited her fate on a siding in Stratford, Ont. Fortunately she wouldn't end up as scrap iron, but was instead purchased by three local gentlemen and brought to Sarnia for display at Bayview Park.

The Bayview Railway Museum was formed and over the years the collection grew to include two cabooses and other memorabilia. Sadly, plans were being set in place to build a new major highway called the 402 and Old 6069 was right in the middle. Another site had to be found and a second move of the locomotive was accomplished.

Unfortunately, the second move used all the museum's resources and the museum closed. But the St. Clair Parkway Commission was willing to give the locomotive a permanent home and today she remains on site just off of Front Street in Centennial Park.

Time and weather took its toll and something had to be done. A small group of volunteers discussed plans for the locomotive with the city and offered to volunteer their time to inspect and assess its overall condition.

An inspection was carried out by a group that included two steam engineers and a report was drafted up as to what would be required.

Over the past 12 months, work has been underway to stabilize the locomotive, as well as restoration efforts.

The work is concentrated on repairs to the tender, running board skirt and cab. Recently, "Betty" had her nose cone removed for the first time in over 50 years to have some corroded metal replaced with new steel. The short-term goal is to undertake stabilization and repair of the locomotive with the end result being a complete repaint for static display. Her future is looking much brighter while with the much needed care and attention by a very dedicated group of volunteers.

Sponsors include Sarnia Rent-All, Praxair, United Rentals and Shelly Machine and Marine.

If you are interested in becoming a volunteer or would like to donate to the locomotive project contact the group by email, at engine6069@sympatico.ca.

We are also looking for older photos or information about CN 6069 to add to the collection.
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Re: Canadian Locomotive Restoration

Postby Dan4th » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:08 pm

Avro 683::::::::::::

Who built her?

Is there a website?

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby Avro683 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:16 pm

No website but we are on facebook.. She was built in 1944 by Montreal Locomotive works Montreal Quebec .
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Postby Minty4371 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am

Found the Facebook page. I have a friend who helps with Royal Hudson #2860. They are also on Facebook.
Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16521384@N07/sets/
XH558 Member from 1st April 2008 to 1st April 2016;
XM655 Member from February 2011 to February 2016;
Member of 82045 Locomotive Trust
Minty4371
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III

Postby Dan4th » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Here's a page from Wiki:::::::::::::::::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CN_U-1-f

A Handsome Machine!

Danf.
I like to do my planning retroactively!
Dan4th

Also Known As: Token Murkin

Postby Avro683 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:02 am

Dan she is indeed a handsome machine! ;)
Avro683
AgustaWestland Merlin
AgustaWestland Merlin

Return to History Past and Present