Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Here is a link to one of the 'Galleries' on the SLL website, which has an interesting sequence of photos of 34053 'Sir Keith Park' - from the Naming Ceremony, through life 'in service' and time at Barry Scrapyard and beyond (Pics 1 to 62 incl:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168391414 ... 6176243106

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Dougs » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Great collection a bit of a question
The photo 51 shows a hole in the front of the frames about a foot back and about 10" dia ish this is normal on merchant navy but not on west coast? as far as I can see and later photo's don't show it is the photo of the wrong loco?
I need to decide if I should delete it from the plans for my model. :)

Edit,
I have had another look and I think some of the photo's at Barry with the number painted on are the wrong loco the big hole (behind the small liting eyes in the frames) are definitely on the bigger merchant navy loco's but I can't see them at all on sir Keith park at all before retirement and at the point of boiler lift the holes are gone again.
Just for clarification the hole is behind the sloping bracket for the front metalwork step plates on the frame.
Photo of 35029hole behind the silver bracket
Image
Mmmmm confusing
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:57 am

You have raised a very interesting point, Dougs. I have done some investigation and (as far as I can determine) it is only the 'Merchant Navy Class' which had these circular openings, at the front of the Locomotive, in the sides of the Frames. I cannot find a case (yet) where they were provided on the 'Battle of Britain' or 'West Country' Classes.
I also had a look at the photos of the very first Restoration, in 1983, that the Group - which was to become Southern Locomotives Ltd - carried out and that was 'Merchant Navy Class' 35027 'Port Line'. The openings are definitely there.

The pics of 'Port Line' are included in the following link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168391414 ... 0644443698

They are a bit mixed up with other Locomotives, including the original Restoration of '257 Squadron (currently under Major Overhaul) but it's worth persevering with, to see the conditions under which the guys had to work in (outside at Swindon, in all weathers!!!!). There is also a VERY poignant one of 'Port Line' being steamed for the first time, while Swindon Locomotive Works behind is being demolished (Pic 68)!

I therefore tend to agree that the pics you mention Dougs (and they seem to be the ones of the Loco with the white painted wheels) could be the 'Wrong Loco'. Well spotted.

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Dougs » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:51 pm

34053 wrote:You have raised a very interesting point, Dougs. I have done some investigation and (as far as I can determine) it is only the 'Merchant Navy Class' which had these circular openings, at the front of the Locomotive, in the sides of the Frames. I cannot find a case (yet) where they were provided on the 'Battle of Britain' or 'West Country' Classes.
I also had a look at the photos of the very first Restoration, in 1983, that the Group - which was to become Southern Locomotives Ltd - carried out and that was 'Merchant Navy Class' 35027 'Port Line'. The openings are definitely there.

The pics of 'Port Line' are included in the following link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168391414 ... 0644443698

They are a bit mixed up with other Locomotives, including the original Restoration of '257 Squadron (currently under Major Overhaul) but it's worth persevering with, to see the conditions under which the guys had to work in (outside at Swindon, in all weathers!!!!). There is also a VERY poignant one of 'Port Line' being steamed for the first time, while Swindon Locomotive Works behind is being demolished (Pic 68)!

I therefore tend to agree that the pics you mention Dougs (and they seem to be the ones of the Loco with the white painted wheels) could be the 'Wrong Loco'. Well spotted.

PW

brill that confirms it then the holes have come off my drawing for the frames :D thanks PW
what a great collection of photo's i am starting to notice the components they are exact matches to my drawings, i am going to know this loco inside out when im done quite litterally :-o
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Here is a great YouTube Clip of the Severn Valley Railway's 'Autumn Steam Gala' (19th & 20th September 2014) which includes some terrific shots of 34053 'Sir Keith Park' in action, throughout:



(There is a particularly dramatic shot at the beginning, with SKP climbing out of Bridgnorth, with all the sanders in operation).

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:31 pm

It was 3 years ago (9th May 2012) that 'Sir Keith Park' moved from Herston Works, Swanage up to Bridgnorth on the 'Severn Valley Railway'. Time certainly does 'fly'!

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 pm

'Battle of Britain Class' Locomotive 'Sir Keith Park' will be visiting the 'Keighley & Worth Valley Railway' for their 'Autumn Steam Gala' (9th - 11th October).

I am looking forward to the time when 34053 visits her 'home' territory, on 'Southern' metals. Could that happen one day????????????????

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Dougs » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:27 am

34053 wrote:'Battle of Britain Class' Locomotive 'Sir Keith Park' will be visiting the 'Keighley & Worth Valley Railway' for their 'Autumn Steam Gala' (9th - 11th October).

I am looking forward to the time when 34053 visits her 'home' territory, on 'Southern' metals. Could that happen one day????????????????

PW

If you are booking her holidays a trip to GCR would be good ;)
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Dougs wrote:
34053 wrote:'Battle of Britain Class' Locomotive 'Sir Keith Park' will be visiting the 'Keighley & Worth Valley Railway' for their 'Autumn Steam Gala' (9th - 11th October).

I am looking forward to the time when 34053 visits her 'home' territory, on 'Southern' metals. Could that happen one day????????????????

PW

If you are booking her holidays a trip to GCR would be good ;)


Unfortunately, SKP's visit to the K&WV Railway has had to be cancelled due to 'problems with road access at Ingrow'. This would have been the Locomotive's first trip away from the Severn Valley Railway.

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Dougs » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 pm

loughborough is quite easy to get to,,,,,,, just sayin ;)
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Dougs wrote:loughborough is quite easy to get to,,,,,,, just sayin ;)


Rothley.........
User avatar
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: The home of Whittle's engine.

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Dougs » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:09 pm

tis where all the posh people live but its a bit dificult to get a loco onto the tracks there.
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:03 am

Rothley is where they track um, then there dragged to Loughborough..
User avatar
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: The home of Whittle's engine.

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Dougs » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 am

Vulcan Bomber wrote:Rothley is where they track um, then there dragged to Loughborough..

Oh VB u sure you don't mean Quorn I can't remember rothley have very good access. I must admit I haven't ever seen a visiting loco put on the tracks other than at Loughborough I am sure I saw Tornado in the yard next to the signal box on a low loader a few years back I could be mistaken tho.
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:57 am

Dougs wrote:
Vulcan Bomber wrote:Rothley is where they track um, then there dragged to Loughborough..

Oh VB u sure you don't mean Quorn I can't remember rothley have very good access. I must admit I haven't ever seen a visiting loco put on the tracks other than at Loughborough I am sure I saw Tornado in the yard next to the signal box on a low loader a few years back I could be mistaken tho.



Might be quorn, I always mix them up......

92214 doesn't come and go at Loughborough at least....
User avatar
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: The home of Whittle's engine.

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:26 pm

words out that SKP will be visiting the GCR in January for there first Gala of next year.
User avatar
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: The home of Whittle's engine.

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Thank you VB that's great news.

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote:words out that SKP will be visiting the GCR in January for there first Gala of next year.



http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-even ... -31st-jan/
User avatar
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: The home of Whittle's engine.

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Dougs » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Vulcan Bomber wrote:
Vulcan Bomber wrote:words out that SKP will be visiting the GCR in January for there first Gala of next year.



http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-even ... -31st-jan/

Wow thanks for the heads up VB I missed GWR 1501 I am not missing this one :) :D :D
B-)
User avatar
Dougs
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
Boeing C-17 Globemaster III
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm
Location: coalville leicestershire
Also Known As: Avro Atlantic

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:36 am

Dougs wrote:
Vulcan Bomber wrote:
Vulcan Bomber wrote:words out that SKP will be visiting the GCR in January for there first Gala of next year.



http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-even ... -31st-jan/

Wow thanks for the heads up VB I missed GWR 1501 I am not missing this one :) :D :D



Sadly I won't be going. But I will be at the GCR with the kids soon to see santa and hopefully a fix of full size 9F.
User avatar
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: The home of Whittle's engine.

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:23 pm

SKP is performing very well at the Severn Valley Railway and is now on duty for the 'Santa Specials'. Mileage, up to the end of September, was 7,664 for the year.

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:26 am

In addition to participating in the 'Winter Gala' at the Great Central Railway from 29th to 31st January (details mentioned above) 'Sir Keith Park' will also be travelling to the West Somerset Railway in March. This will be for their 'Spring Gala' (5th & 6th March, plus 10th-13th March). Details available on the link below:

http://westsomersetrailway.vticket.co.u ... steam-gala

At 23 miles between Bishops Lydeard and Minehead Stations (the longest Preserved Railway in England) she will really be able to 'stretch her legs'. (These Bulleid 'Pacific' Locomotives were, after all, the 'racehorses' of the Steam Locomotive era). Another SLL 'Battle of Britain Class' Locomotive 'Manston' ('original'/'unrebuilt') will also be at the Gala. What more could you ask for? :D

For 'Battle of Britain Class' 34053 'Sir Keith Park' this will be a 'return visit' to the WSR, but now under much happier circumstances. Previously the Locomotive was there from January 1997, as a 'parts donor' for the Restoration of 'West Country Class' 34046 'Braunton'. (It was from here that Southern Locomotives Ltd purchased 34053 and the Locomotive was removed from the WSR in December 2000).

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby Vulcan Bomber » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:05 pm

A bit of footage on 34053 on the Great Centrals Traveling Post Office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xmnO56mZNI
User avatar
Vulcan Bomber
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: The home of Whittle's engine.

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:43 pm

Thank you VB. A great Video Clip. Nice to see 'Sir Keith Park' being used as the 'Racehorse' for which it was designed! Brilliant :D

PW
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Restoration of Locomotive 34053 'Sir Keith Park'

Postby 34053 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:03 pm

I have found a great YouTube clip showing further runs of 'Sir Keith Park' at the Great Central Railway 'Steam Winter Gala'. This also includes a good selection of the other Locomotives, including a '9F'. This is running as 92220 'Evening Star' (the last Steam Locomotive built by BR). However, it is actually 92214 (originally named Cock O' The North').

There is a very 'atmospheric' sequence from 12 mins in, with 'Sir Keith Park' as part of a 'Double Header' behind 'Black 5' 45305. Enjoy:



[With grateful acknowledgement to Andy Edkins for this clip]

PW
Last edited by 34053 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
34053
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk
 
Posts: 2417
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:44 pm
Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

PreviousNext

Return to History Past and Present

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests