Papa & Mama Wedgy's 'Mini-Tour' 2010

Place for all historical (non-aviation) discussion

Papa & Mama Wedgy's 'Mini-Tour' 2010

Postby 34053 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:45 am

You may have noticed that I have not been on the Forum for a while. Mama Wedgy and I had decided that this year (being fed up with delays and cancellations, etc, etc at Airports) we would have some trips in this country (with fingers crossed for the weather being kind to us!). Just got back after 11 days, during which we visited some very interesting places 'up North', some with an 'Aviation' theme and others (surprise, surprise!!) with a 'Railway' theme. I'll tell you more under this Topic, together with some pics, in due course.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Also Known As: Papa Wedgy

Re: Papa & Mama Wedgy's 'Mini-Tour' 2010

Postby Xplumberlives » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Glad you both had a good time P.W.

Looking forward to you reports!
"All modern aircraft have 4 dimensions: span, length, height and politics.
TSR-2 simply got the first 3 right. ”
— Sir Sydney Camm
Xplumberlives
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress

Also Known As: ROCKETMAN

Postby 34053 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:19 pm

As promised, here are some pertinent points from our recent trip 'Up North' (from South London):

Our first stop was in Rutland (England's smallest County) where we stayed, for a couple of days, in an Hotel (in Normanton) which was right next to Rutland Water. This Reservoir (originally called Empingham Reservoir) was constructed between 1971 and 1975 to meet the water demands of the expanding East Midlands area. The valley had to be cleared of all houses (33 homes) farms, trees, etc before construction could start. Only one of the original buildings remains (thanks to the local preservation group at the time) and this is Normanton Church, the bottom half of which would be below the water level. This lower portion was waterproofed and protected and the floor level raised by 3 metres (10 feet in 'old money'). This Church is a Museum, housing many of the artefacts (and skeletons!) uncovered during the excavation work. There is also a continuous 30 minute film showing the Design, Construction and Completion Phases of the Reservoir. With my Engineereing background, I found this fascinating (not sure about MW though!).

This is a lovely area and I'm sure that we will be returning to explore in greater detail.

Normanton Church:

[/IMG]

While in Rutland we visited Oakham which is a very pleasant place to spend a day. (Here comes the 'Railway' bit!). Here there is a Grade 2 Listed, fully operational, Signal Box (built in 1899) controlling the Oakham Level Crossing, adjacent to Oakham Station. The design of this Signal Box was, apparently, used as the model for 'Airfix' Construction Kits and 'Hornby' Signal Boxes.

Oakham Crossing Signal Box:

Oakham Station:

Oakham is only about 5 miles from RAF Cottesmore - Home to 'three Squadrons of Vulcans until 1969', as mentioned in one of the displays in the Oakham Museum, recording the RAF connection. Cottesmore is also home to 'The Rutland Railway Museum: http://www.rutlandrailwaymuseum.org.uk

We then moved on to Southport (where the tide goes out for miles and is just a ripple on the far horizon) for an eight day stay (including a couple of trips to Blackpool and to the 'Tower Ballroom'). In Southport there is a disused Railway Station - 'Lord Street Station' (in addition to the operational 'Southport Station'). This used to serve 'The Southport and Cheshire Railway', which closed on 1952. It became a Bus Station until 1987, when the Train Shed was demolished. A Morrisons Supermarket was built in the early 1990's and (fortunately) the Station Tower and frontage was retained and restored, becoming one of the Pedestrian accesses to the Supermarket.

There is an interesting website giving further information and a lot more 'old and new' photos on this (and other) 'Disused Stations':

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/so ... ndex.shtml

On our way home we visted some friends of ours in Stapleford (near Nottingham) before journeying back.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Multispotters2 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:43 pm

whickh places are you going to be in if you mined me asking!
Multispotters2
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Postby 34053 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Multispotters2 wrote:whickh places are you going to be in if you mined me asking!

That's it for now, MS2. Nothing more planned just at the moment.

PW
BAE Hawk
BAE Hawk

Postby Mayfly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:46 pm

See PW it's not bad Ooop Norf :))

Nice pics thanks for sharing :D
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Sooty655 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:50 pm

Great pics, but you ain't been further than the Midlands yet. ;)
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Return to History Past and Present