FRADU Fun

All military (past & present) aircraft talk, photos, videos etc

FRADU Fun

Postby Spitfire » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:23 am

A per pro of nothing - we get very few military jets down here in Cornwall but today Thursday 14th) I was mowing the lawn and there was a single FRADU Black Hawk Image
having what seems like a whale of a time overhead - really high (estimate 10000ft) and very fast and loud - dashing about from one side of St Ives Bay to the other - leaving the odd contrail, maybe as he moved heights.
There was probably a Navy ship out at sea he was 'playing' with but it was a joy to behold ...and hear ;) :)

PS and again today on Friday 15th ... must be a Navy Exercise... a Hawk probing a Navy ship's defences etc

Not that I'm talking to anyone here any more ... just musing to myself really about - you know - well - aircraft and stuff ... not that a Hawk is 'Iconic' per se - but it was in the sky yesterday - and is today - and I thought who can I tell and this was as good a place as any ... I mean - well you know - the Red Arrows fly Hawks so it could be considered 'Iconic' because of that ... its all relative ... and anyway I enjoyed seeing it :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Re: FRADU Fun

Postby Aceyone » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:16 am

I do hope you feel better soon ;)
Take only photographs,leave only footprints .
Aceyone
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress
Boeing B-52 Stratofortress

Postby Sooty655 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Possibly acting as target for radar calibration.

Many years ago (early 70s) I was on an Iranian corvette fitted with a Contraves radar fire control system. The RAF provided a Hunter for a calibration exercise, and every time it flew directly over the ship, the radar "lost" it. Took three days of fiddling by the Contraves reps before they got it working properly. Three days in the Irish Sea is boring!!
Sooty

One Olympus 301 has twice the power of a complete F1 starting grid.
XM655 has four of them, all serviceable.
When we make noise, WE MAKE NOIZE ! !
Sooty655

Postby Spitfire » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:49 pm

GOOD LORD .... PEOPLE ON HERE ......just like the old days ;) :D B-)

Aceyone wrote:I do hope you feel better soon ;)

Feeling better already thanks :p

Sooty655 wrote:Possibly acting as target for radar calibration.

I think they act as 'enemy' and give the Navy ships at sea something to find and aim at .. see them around here streaking by at low level in pairs occasionally - but the one at altitude yesterday stood out because he seemed to be having such fun for ages and was using a LOT of really noisy power .. I could only catch sight of him if he left the occasional con trail ...
The amazing part is they are piloted by civilians - ex RAF and Navy fliers mostly ... what a retirement job B-) :D
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Thornhill » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 am

I didn't know they were piloted by civilians. What a dream retirement job for those guys indeed.
Thornhill
Piper J-3 Cub
Piper J-3 Cub

Return to Military Aircraft