The 'Grace' Spitfire ML407

All military (past & present) aircraft talk, photos, videos etc

The 'Grace' Spitfire ML407

Postby Spitfire » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:33 pm

I was recently on a weeks holiday based in Ipswich and I managed to convince my long suffering wife that we could 'pop' up to Sywell to see ML407 (2 hours in the car :p )

I had already emailed Daisy Grace about the possibilities of seeing the Spit close up and had indicated that I may be interested in booking a flight some time next year.

Daisy advised that last Thursday (15th) [Battle Of Britain day by coincidence] was a flying day - 6 paying passengers to get up on their jaunts - so I opted to go then ...

We arrived at 11am and I was gob-smacked at the brilliant facilities at Sywell - there's a hotel and Bar/restaurant and a topping viewing area very near to the planes - ML407 was already there just a few feet away ..

The sky was blue and it was very hot - but the visibility low down on the horizon was questionable so there was a delay in getting the first passenger airborne - in fact the pilot did a weather recce in his own Pitts biplane before committing ...

Start up was amazing - right by us - and off went the first paying passenger - all very brilliant - on his return there was the obligatory 'victory roll' over the airfield :D :D I also listened intently to his explanations and discussions with his family which made me very jealous .. :((

Then came the second passenger - I was right behind her and caught the wonderful flaming coughs as she sprang into life plus a huge gust of sweet smelling slipstream ... also Dave Puleson trying to catch an errant helmet liner that had been inadvertently left on the tail :p Not the best footage from my mobile phone :(

Then we had to leave as it was getting late and we had that 2 hour drive back to Ipswich ;)

BUT it seems we missed what happened next - on the next landing the pilot had a landing accident during the roll out and aircraft pitched forward onto its nose causing minor damage :-o :-o

This then had to be recovered ...

And it seems Air Leasing have pronounced, following extensive testing, that the Merlin engine is not damaged and the minor repairs needed are already well under way ...

So an exciting and eventful day ... all I have to do now is lose a stone (+!!) in weight and an inch or 2 around my middle ...and my application will be going in ... \:D/ B-) :D
Last edited by Spitfire on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Re: The 'Grace' Spitfire ML407

Postby Mayfly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Oooo, you can join my 'I've flown in a Spitfire' club if you like - lol

Shame about the ground looping, but as long as no-one was injured.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Spitfire » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:35 pm

Mayfly wrote:Oooo, you can join my 'I've flown in a Spitfire' club if you like - lol

Not yet I can't ... need to lose the weight first ... perhaps for my 65th next year :D :p
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Postby Mayfly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:57 pm

There's not a lot of room is there. I found it quite cramped.
In memory of a very dear friend - Mike Pearson

Very fond memories of Robbie Gilvary - DTs 1st Vulcan Captain who taught DT all he knew.
Mayfly

Postby Spitfire » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:31 pm

Mayfly wrote:There's not a lot of room is there. I found it quite cramped.

It's not the room ... I could put up with that ....its their weight limit for passengers ... 16st ... and I am currently ....17st 4lb :((
Plus a maximum 'midriff' measurement of 41" and I am 42" (+) :(( :(( :((

So I have my incentive :p ;)

PS - you quoted me ...
Mayfly wrote:Shame about the ground looping, but as long as no-one was injured.

It has been pointed out to me that it was NOT a ground loop - and I have edited my original post to reflect the actual facts :(
So just to set the record straight I would just like to confirm that here in regard to your quoting of my pre-edited original post.
Spitfire
Boeing 747
Boeing 747

Return to Military Aircraft